all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#6532: text properties follow along text copied to other buffers
@ 2010-06-28 17:42 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-06-28 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 6532

Is it a bug or a feature that when I copy some glowing blue characters
to another buffer, they stay glowing blue, instead of adopting the drab
colors of other text that was typed into that buffer?

E.g., C-u C-x = shows this, even on text that was copied to a plain
text-mode buffer:

There are text properties here:
  balloon-help         nil
  face                 (w3m-anchor w3m-italic w3m-bold)
  rear-nonsticky       t
  w3m-anchor-sequence  23
  w3m-balloon-help     "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9xWuvRaQ6g"
  w3m-href-anchor      "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9xWuvRaQ6g"
  w3m-name-anchor      [Show]
  w3m-name-anchor2     ("tsf-oq" "logo" "gbe" "gbf" "gbn")
  w3m-safe-url-regexp  nil

Indeed, the only way I know to clean them up is
C-x h C-u <escape> | c a t <return>

emacs-version "24.0.50.1"

* bug#6532: text properties follow along text copied to other buffers
@ 2010-06-28 18:13 ` Drew Adams
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-06-28 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni, 6532

> Is it a bug or a feature

A feature.  And it's customizable (and bindable).
See `yank-excluded-properties'.

* bug#6532: text properties follow along text copied to other buffers
@ 2010-06-28 18:18 ` jidanni
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: jidanni @ 2010-06-28 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drew.adams; +Cc: 6532

>> Is it a bug or a feature

A> A feature.  And it's customizable (and bindable).
A> See `yank-excluded-properties'.

OK, found it. Instead of the extra long list it comes with and is hard
to maintain I bet, I wonder why it isn't 't' to begin with. OK, thanks.

* bug#6532: text properties follow along text copied to other buffers
@ 2010-06-28 18:28 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-06-28 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: 6532

jidanni@jidanni.org skrev 2010-06-28 19.42:
> Is it a bug or a feature that when I copy some glowing blue characters
> to another buffer, they stay glowing blue, instead of adopting the drab
> colors of other text that was typed into that buffer?

I think it is a feature, its been like that for a long time.  Not that I like
it, copying from ediff-colored text or *compilation* to a text file looks
funny.  C-x C-s, kill buffer and reopen the file is my workaround.

> Indeed, the only way I know to clean them up is
> C-x h C-u<escape>  | c a t<return>

An idea is to have some popup that appears if text properties differs between
source and destination.  It can ask if you want to adopt to source or
destination.  I don't know how tricky that would be.

	Jan D.

* bug#6532: text properties follow along text copied to other buffers
@ 2010-06-28 18:34   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-06-28 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: 6532

> >> Is it a bug or a feature
>
> A> A feature.  And it's customizable (and bindable).
> A> See `yank-excluded-properties'.
>
> OK, found it. Instead of the extra long list it comes with and is hard
> to maintain I bet, I wonder why it isn't 't' to begin with.
> OK, thanks.

The default value of the option needs to be the most reasonable value for most
uses by most people - or at least a reasonable value. ;-)

The value chosen seems like a pretty good choice, to me.  What matters most to
me is that yanking does not exclude `face' but it does exclude `mouse-face'.
Whether most people want to yank with faces by default is questionable, but that
fits my use.

FWIW - One thing that might be helpful (it is present in some other editors)
would be an Edit menu item to paste without properties (or paste with some
preferred set of properties whenever no-property yanking is the user's default
behavior).

* bug#6532: text properties follow along text copied to other buffers
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-06-28 18:40 ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-06-28 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jan.h.d; +Cc: 6532

JD> An idea is to have some popup that appears if text properties differs
JD> between source and destination.  It can ask if you want to adopt to
JD> source or destination.  I don't know how tricky that would be.

"Gee, all I wanted to do was copy text, now I'm getting popups".

Anyway, perhaps when copying from one message-mode buffer to another
message-mode buffer, keeping properties makes sense... but the rest of
the time not. So I'm making the default 't' for me. Anyways, does
copying back an forth from Firefox to emacs preserve properties? No. Did
I ever feel bad about it? No. If emacs were WYSIWYG like Word™ then
maybe it would make sense, otherwise not. However I think I'll be
stepping out of the conversation right about now...

* bug#6532: text properties follow along text copied to other buffers
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-06-28 18:42 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-06-28 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: 6532-done

> From: jidanni@jidanni.org
> Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 01:42:57 +0800
>
> Is it a bug or a feature that when I copy some glowing blue characters
> to another buffer, they stay glowing blue, instead of adopting the drab
> colors of other text that was typed into that buffer?

Feature.  If you don't like it, set yank-excluded-properties to t.  Or
type "M-o M-o" after yanking.

* bug#6532: text properties follow along text copied to other buffers
@ 2010-06-28 21:03   ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-06-28 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 6532, eliz

Nice, you learn something every day.