all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is there any way to append a EasyPG encrypted file?
@ 2010-06-28 15:23 Wei-Wei Guo
From: Wei-Wei Guo @ 2010-06-28 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs

Dear all,

I use GnuPG key to encrypt my 'remember' file, but EasyPG does not support appending file.
Is there any way to append an encrypted file?

Best wishes,
Wei-Wei

* Re: Is there any way to append a EasyPG encrypted file?
@ 2010-06-30 16:29 ` Alex Bennee
From: Alex Bennee @ 2010-06-30 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei-Wei Guo; +Cc: Emacs

On 28 June 2010 16:23, Wei-Wei Guo <wwguocn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I use GnuPG key to encrypt my 'remember' file, but EasyPG does not support
> appending file.
> Is there any way to append an encrypted file?

Not without decoding and re-encoding the file.

I suppose you could come up with some sort of scheme that would
result in a text file with a series of ASCII armored GPG blocks that can be
decoded and concatenated together when read.

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
http://www.half-llama.co.uk

* Re: Is there any way to append a EasyPG encrypted file?
@ 2010-07-01  1:12   ` Wei-Wei Guo
From: Wei-Wei Guo @ 2010-07-01  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Bennee; +Cc: Emacs

Hi Alex,

>> I use GnuPG key to encrypt my 'remember' file, but EasyPG does not support
>> appending file.
>> Is there any way to append an encrypted file?
>
> Not without decoding and re-encoding the file.

I find the following lines in the epa-file.el:

(defun epa-file-write-region (start end file &optional append visit lockname
				    mustbenew)
   (if append
       (error "Can't append to the file"))

It seems easypg disable the ability intentionally. I don't know how to solve...

> I suppose you could come up with some sort of scheme that would
> result in a text file with a series of ASCII armored GPG blocks that can be
> decoded and concatenated together when read.

I don't understand what to do. Could you say something more?

Best wishes,
Wei-Wei