Stephen J. Turnbull wrote: > Jan Djärv writes: > > Lennart Borgman skrev 2010-05-02 00.44: > > > > > I think this is useful for reminders/appointments, log tail buffers etc. > > > > I don't get it. > > "Programmer knows best." Why users put up with it, I don't know. > > > For reminders I'd rather see the kind of windows gnome uses for this, see > > screen shot. They are indeed topmost, but not transient for. > > That's a pretty good try, but it's still more obtrusive than it need > be. Why a close box? *Any* click it such a window should dismiss it. > FWIW, on my system, notifications popups via libnotify [1] have close buttons but they're cosmetic/affordances, clicking on them anywhere dismisses them. Using libnotify means the desktop environment's uniform notifications are used. I use XFCE, their appearance and behaviour is configured via xfce4-notifyd-config, which allows changing graphical theme, position, timeout and opacity of them. (I found a tip on the arch linux wiki saying gnome users can edit the registry^Wgconf key /apps/notification-daemon/ to configure them on GNOME) Try the following from the shell: aptitude install libnotify-bin notify-send "Hello, World" "I am a Fish. On $(date)" Results shown in the attached screenshot. Linking emacs, at least x11/gtk emacs, against libnotify and supporting a (notify-send ...) or something usable from within emacs would probably be quite doable. Maybe the elisp api could be wrapped around the other platforms' native similar facilities on non-x11. This approach wouldn't allow the notification popup to be an emacs frame with arbitrary contents, obviously you're limited to what the notification kinda-sorta-spec allows. [1] A bit different and more complex than the systray spec balloon message api I previously mentioned, allowing fancier notifications. http://www.galago-project.org/docs/index.php http://www.galago-project.org/specs/notification/0.9/index.html http://manishtech.wordpress.com/2009/03/29/working-with-libnotify/