all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to stop marking and (over)writing into the yank buffer at scroll bar use
@ 2010-03-06 20:32 Nick Rudnick
From: Nick Rudnick @ 2010-03-06 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

at use of the scroll bar, the text between becomes marked, leading to
the yank buffer being (over)written.

At the same time, the text cursor jumps, apparenty to a position
appropriate to the mouse position at the cursor.

I am using GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
 of 2009-11-10 on crested, modified by Debian, and this happens already
at an emptied ~/.emacs file.

I would rather expect the text cursor to stay unchanged until the mouse
touches the text area again -- is there a way to achieve a such behaviour?

Thank you very much in advance,

Nick

* How to stop marking and (over)writing into the yank buffer at scroll bar use
@ 2010-03-06 22:35 Nick Rudnick
From: Nick Rudnick @ 2010-03-06 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

at use of the scroll bar, the text between becomes marked, leading to
the yank buffer being (over)written.

At the same time, the text cursor jumps, apparenty to a position
appropriate to the mouse position at the cursor.

I am using GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
of 2009-11-10 on crested, modified by Debian, and this happens already
at an emptied ~/.emacs file.

I would rather expect the text cursor to stay unchanged until the mouse
touches the text area again -- is there a way to achieve a such behaviour?

Thank you very much in advance,

Nick

* RE: How to stop marking and (over)writing into the yank buffer at scroll bar use
@ 2010-03-07  2:36 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-03-07  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Nick Rudnick', help-gnu-emacs

> at use of the scroll bar, the text between becomes marked, leading to
> the yank buffer being (over)written.
>
> At the same time, the text cursor jumps, apparenty to a position
> appropriate to the mouse position at the cursor.
>
> I am using GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
> of 2009-11-10 on crested, modified by Debian, and this
> happens already
> at an emptied ~/.emacs file.
>
> I would rather expect the text cursor to stay unchanged until
> the mouse
> touches the text area again -- is there a way to achieve a
> such behaviour?

Sounds like a bug. Try to report the specific steps you follow, starting with
`emacs -Q'. Use `M-x report-emacs-bug' to report the problem.