all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: editor for large xml files?
       [not found]                       ` <4B7B3562.8030604@jj.em-net.ne.jp>
@ 2010-02-17  8:27                         ` Andreas Roehler
       [not found]                         ` <4B7BA887.4000100@online.de>
From: Andreas Roehler @ 2010-02-17  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Charles Muller; +Cc: TEI-L, XEmacs Beta Discussion, emacs-devel

Dear Emacs developers,

forward you this mail, where implementing Emacs-Keys into XML-Editor Oxygen is the issue.

As Emacs-Keys have been qualified "arcane", here my suggestion:

Keys itself are fine, cua-mode is available for beginners.

"arcane" indeed might turn the way defining it due to different formats.

As this style

(global-set-key [(control kp-divide)] 'My-Command)

or

(global-set-key [(control x)(c)] 'My-Other-Command)

is understood by all Emacsen, suggest to keep that, declaring the other ones obsolete.

Thanks all

Andreas

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

From: Andreas Roehler @ 2010-02-17  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Charles Muller; +Cc: TEI-L, XEmacs Beta Discussion, emacs-devel

@ 2010-02-17  9:20                           ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-02-17  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Roehler
  Cc: Charles Muller, TEI-L, emacs-devel, XEmacs Beta Discussion

Andreas Roehler <andreas.roehler@online.de> writes:

Hi Andreas,

> As this style
>
> (global-set-key [(control kp-divide)] 'My-Command)
>
> or
>
> (global-set-key [(control x)(c)] 'My-Other-Command)
>
> is understood by all Emacsen, suggest to keep that, declaring the
> other ones obsolete.

Was there any discussion of declaring it obsolete?

IMO, the recommended style for making keybindings should be `kbd', which
is available in Emacs, XEmacs, and SXEmacs.

So your 2 definitions would become:

  (global-set-key (kbd "<C-kp-divide>") 'My-Command)
  (global-set-key (kbd "C-x c")         'My-Other-Command)

That's quite easy to read and write (you can simply insert the string
describe-key outputs as argument to `kbd'), and it hides how an
implementation represents the key sequences internally.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: editor for large xml files?
@ 2010-02-17  9:53                             ` Andreas Roehler
From: Andreas Roehler @ 2010-02-17  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-devel

Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Andreas Roehler <andreas.roehler@online.de> writes:
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
>> As this style
>>
>> (global-set-key [(control kp-divide)] 'My-Command)
>>
>> or
>>
>> (global-set-key [(control x)(c)] 'My-Other-Command)
>>
>> is understood by all Emacsen, suggest to keep that, declaring the
>> other ones obsolete.
>
> Was there any discussion of declaring it obsolete?

Hi Tassilo,

don't know. Didn't intend to say it.

> IMO, the recommended style for making keybindings should be `kbd', which
> is available in Emacs, XEmacs, and SXEmacs.
>
> So your 2 definitions would become:
>
>   (global-set-key (kbd "<C-kp-divide>") 'My-Command)
>   (global-set-key (kbd "C-x c")         'My-Other-Command)
>
> That's quite easy to read and write (you can simply insert the string
> describe-key outputs as argument to `kbd'), and it hides how an
> implementation represents the key sequences internally.

Hmm, like the "control" and "meta" written out.

OTOH, may perfectly live with your suggestion.
Just saying: let's choose one and just one compatible form, declaring others obsolete.

Thanks

Andreas

> Bye,
> Tassilo

* (kbd) for key bindings (was: editor for large xml files?)
@ 2010-02-18  3:29                             ` Steve Revilak
From: Steve Revilak @ 2010-02-18  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

>From: Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org>

>IMO, the recommended style for making keybindings should be `kbd', which
>is available in Emacs, XEmacs, and SXEmacs.
>
>So your 2 definitions would become:
>
>  (global-set-key (kbd "<C-kp-divide>") 'My-Command)
>  (global-set-key (kbd "C-x c")         'My-Other-Command)
>
>That's quite easy to read and write (you can simply insert the string
>describe-key outputs as argument to `kbd'), and it hides how an
>implementation represents the key sequences internally.

I'd never heard of (kbd) before, but I like that representation a lot.
It's the same syntax that describe-key outputs, and it's also the same
syntax that people use when writing about emacs key bindings (e.g.,
the emacs tutorial).  If you understand what "C-x C-f" means, then you
basically know how to supply arguments to kbd.

Steve
(who just re-wrote all of his custom key bindings)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: (kbd) for key bindings
@ 2010-02-18  7:18                               ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2010-02-18  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Steve Revilak; +Cc: emacs-devel

Steve Revilak <steve@srevilak.net> writes:
> I'd never heard of (kbd) before, but I like that representation a lot.
> It's the same syntax that describe-key outputs, and it's also the same
> syntax that people use when writing about emacs key bindings (e.g.,
> the emacs tutorial).  If you understand what "C-x C-f" means, then you
> basically know how to supply arguments to kbd.

I'm not sure kbd is really the best "universal solution" though.

The fact that it's a macro can be annoying and surprising (you can't
funcall it, for instance) and its key syntax seems worryingly ad-hoc --
the "output format" that kbd purports to parse is meant for easy human
readability, not unambiguous machine parsing.

-Miles

--
Happiness, n. An agreeable sensation arising from contemplating the misery of
another.

* Re: (kbd) for key bindings
@ 2010-02-18 10:17                                 ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2010-02-18 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel, Steve Revilak

Miles Bader writes:

 > I'm not sure kbd is really the best "universal solution" though.

Thank you, Miles!

* Re: (kbd) for key bindings
@ 2010-02-18 11:18                                   ` Andreas Roehler
From: Andreas Roehler @ 2010-02-18 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, Steve Revilak, emacs-devel, Miles Bader

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Miles Bader writes:
>
>  > I'm not sure kbd is really the best "universal solution" though.
>
> Thank you, Miles!

Thanks all,

may be it's time to write a feature request "emacs-key definitions universal solution" following the original proposal?

Andreas