all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus: Stripping HTML/PDF/DOC parts from emails?
@ 2010-02-12  8:58 Nicolas Neuss
From: Nicolas Neuss @ 2010-02-12  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I relatively often get mails from people (probably a pandemic disease
caused by using MS Outlook) who put more or less the same information in
Text/HTML/PDF/DOC parts.  Since I save almost all my email
correspondence, I would like to strip the superfluous parts of those
messages.  Is there some way to do so in Gnus without editing the
article by hand?

Thanks,
Nicolas

* Re: Gnus: Stripping HTML/PDF/DOC parts from emails?
@ 2010-02-12 12:00 ` Paul R
From: Paul R @ 2010-02-12 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Nicolas Neuss; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Nicolas> Hello, I relatively often get mails from people (probably
Nicolas> a pandemic disease caused by using MS Outlook) who put more or
Nicolas> less the same information in Text/HTML/PDF/DOC parts. Since
Nicolas> I save almost all my email correspondence, I would like to
Nicolas> strip the superfluous parts of those messages. Is there some
Nicolas> way to do so in Gnus without editing the article by hand?

I am in the exact same situation. I am receiving more and more mail with
a 1 line body like "cf attachment", and the real content in a word
document attached. Therefore I would love to have some generic tools to
manipulate mail contents. In this case, I would replace the whole mime
part by the output of 'catdoc' of 'pdftotext' and save the mail in this
form.

At least a way to blank the mime part would be nice.

--
  Paul

* Re: Gnus: Stripping HTML/PDF/DOC parts from emails?
@ 2010-02-12 12:31   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-02-12 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

,----[ (info "(gnus)MIME Commands") ]
| `K d'
|      Delete the MIME part and add some information about the removed
|      part.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Gnus: Stripping HTML/PDF/DOC parts from emails?
@ 2010-02-12 20:26     ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2010-02-12 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Paul R <paul.r.ml@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi!
>
>> At least a way to blank the mime part would be nice.
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)MIME Commands") ]
> | `K d'
> |      Delete the MIME part and add some information about the removed
> |      part.
> `----

Hello Tassilo, that looks good to know. Since i'm beginner for Unix, i
don't know how can i use info manual. So can you please show me the
elisp code within ~/.gnus.el for it? Really i want to set "text/plain"
by default at article when i type `K d' ;;

Sincerely,

--
"Mr. Corleone never lets his friends down."
		-- Tom Hagen, "Chapter 1", page 62

* Re: Gnus: Stripping HTML/PDF/DOC parts from emails?
@ 2010-02-12 21:01       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-02-12 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Byung-Hee HWANG; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> writes:

Hi!

>>> At least a way to blank the mime part would be nice.
>>
>> ,----[ (info "(gnus)MIME Commands") ]
>> | `K d'
>> |      Delete the MIME part and add some information about the removed
>> |      part.
>> `----
>
> Hello Tassilo, that looks good to know. Since i'm beginner for Unix, i
> don't know how can i use info manual. So can you please show me the
> elisp code within ~/.gnus.el for it?

What do you mean?  How to create those titled boxes with info citations?
That's boxquote.el.

> Really i want to set "text/plain" by default at article when i type `K
> d' ;;

Sorry, I don't get it.  And, btw, I've never used `K d' myself, just
found it in the docs, so I'm no expert. :-)

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Gnus: Stripping HTML/PDF/DOC parts from emails?
@ 2010-02-12 21:26         ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2010-02-12 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> writes:
> [...]
>> Really i want to set "text/plain" by default at article when i type `K
>> d' ;;
>
> Sorry, I don't get it.  And, btw, I've never used `K d' myself, just
> [...]

Ah never mind it, just i solved myself..
Below page [1] is what i need, anyway ;;

Sincerely,

# Footnotes:
[1] Gnus's MIME <http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MimeTypesWithGnus>

--
"Instruct my sons, all three of them, that they will accompany me to the
hospital to see poor Genco."

* Re: Gnus: Stripping HTML/PDF/DOC parts from emails?
@ 2010-02-13  7:56   ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2010-02-13  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Paul R wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Nicolas> Hello, I relatively often get mails from people (probably
> Nicolas> a pandemic disease caused by using MS Outlook) who put more or
> Nicolas> less the same information in Text/HTML/PDF/DOC parts. Since
> Nicolas> I save almost all my email correspondence, I would like to
> Nicolas> strip the superfluous parts of those messages. Is there some
> Nicolas> way to do so in Gnus without editing the article by hand?
>
> I am in the exact same situation. I am receiving more and more mail with
> a 1 line body like "cf attachment", and the real content in a word
> document attached. Therefore I would love to have some generic tools to
> manipulate mail contents. In this case, I would replace the whole mime
> part by the output of 'catdoc' of 'pdftotext' and save the mail in this
> form.

Hi,

use occasionally a shell-script like

set "" `find ~/Mail/MY-Interesting-Folder/cur/ -type f`
    for i in $*; do
	echo 2 | metamail $i
	echo $i > ~/MY-OUTPUT-FOLDER/$i.txt

    done