all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help with installing Emacs 23(CVS) to a custom path
@ 2010-01-20 22:35 Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2010-01-20 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw

Hi everyone,

I was trying to install Emacs 23 from CVS on a Scientific Linux 4
machine and ran into some problems. I am limited with write permissions
to only my home area and the /scratchdisk. So I checked out the CVS tree
in a directory in /scratchdisk and built emacs using

$ ./configure
$ make bootstrap

Then I edited the Makefile to use ${prefix}=/scratchdisk/myfolder and ran

$ make install

But this fails as make tries to install _some_ files in /usr/local/share/

How do I ask make to install everything in /scratchdisk/myfolder ? Also
can I remove my build directory after `make install' succeeds? (short on
disk space)

Thanks for any pointers.
--
Suvayu

* Re: Help with installing Emacs 23(CVS) to a custom path
       [not found] <mailman.1841.1264026935.18930.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-01-21  1:25 ` Jason Earl
From: Jason Earl @ 2010-01-21  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I was trying to install Emacs 23 from CVS on a Scientific Linux 4
> machine and ran into some problems. I am limited with write
> permissions to only my home area and the /scratchdisk. So I checked
> out the CVS tree in a directory in /scratchdisk and built emacs using
>
> $ ./configure
> $ make bootstrap
>
> Then I edited the Makefile to use ${prefix}=/scratchdisk/myfolder and ran
>
> $ make install
>
> But this fails as make tries to install _some_ files in /usr/local/share/
>
> How do I ask make to install everything in /scratchdisk/myfolder ?
> Also can I remove my build directory after `make install' succeeds?
> (short on disk space)
>
> Thanks for any pointers.

I think that you want to do:

./configure --prefix=/scratchdisk/myfolder

and then:

make bootstrap
make install

Jason

* Re: Help with installing Emacs 23(CVS) to a custom path
@ 2010-01-21  3:55 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-01-21  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:35:57 -0800
> From: Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
>
> $ ./configure
> $ make bootstrap
>
> Then I edited the Makefile to use ${prefix}=/scratchdisk/myfolder and ran
>
> $ make install
>
> But this fails as make tries to install _some_ files in /usr/local/share/
>
> How do I ask make to install everything in /scratchdisk/myfolder ?

 $ make distclean
 $ ./configure prefix=/scratchdisk/myfolder
 $ make
 $ make install

> Also can I remove my build directory after `make install' succeeds?
> (short on disk space)

Yes.

* Re: Help with installing Emacs 23(CVS) to a custom path
@ 2010-01-21  4:36   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-01-21  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 4:55 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:35:57 -0800
>> From: Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
>>
>> $ ./configure
>> $ make bootstrap
>>
>> Then I edited the Makefile to use ${prefix}=/scratchdisk/myfolder and ran
>>
>> $ make install
>>
>> But this fails as make tries to install _some_ files in /usr/local/share/
>>
>> How do I ask make to install everything in /scratchdisk/myfolder ?
>
>  $ make distclean
>  $ ./configure prefix=/scratchdisk/myfolder

Should that perhaps be

   $ ./configure --prefix /scratchdisk/myfolder

Is it equivalent to using

  make install install_dir=/scratchdisk/myfolder

@ 2010-01-21  6:12 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2010-01-21  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I was trying to install Emacs 23 from CVS on a Scientific Linux 4 machine and
> ran into some problems. I am limited with write permissions to only my home
> area and the /scratchdisk. So I checked out the CVS tree in a directory in
> /scratchdisk and built emacs using
>
> $ ./configure
> $ make bootstrap
>
> Then I edited the Makefile to use ${prefix}=/scratchdisk/myfolder and ran
>
> $ make install
>
> But this fails as make tries to install _some_ files in /usr/local/share/
>
> How do I ask make to install everything in /scratchdisk/myfolder ? Also can I
> remove my build directory after `make install' succeeds? (short on disk space)
>
> Thanks for any pointers.

There are a couple of things

1. Don't install. run form the directory you built emacs in. I do this a
lot and it works fine.

2. the configure program has the option --with-prefix, which you can use
to control the leading prefix for all the other bits. For exmaple,
--with-prefix=/usr/local. This will still want to put things in
/usr/local/libexec, l/usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share/emacs,
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp etc. So, create these dirs off the root
of where you want it to be isntalled. i.e. /home/fred/emacs/libexec,
/home/fred/emacs/share, etc.

3. If you run ./configure --help, it will list all the options to
configure. Included in these optons are all the path setings i.e.
bindir, libdir etc. Use all these to set the paths where you want them
with configure i.e.

./configure --with-libdir=/home/fred/emacs/lib
--with-bindir=/home/fred/bin --with-infodir=/home/fred/info etc.

Personally, I would just run from the build dir.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Help with installing Emacs 23(CVS) to a custom path
@ 2010-01-21  7:57   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2010-01-21  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday 20 January 2010 07:55 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:35:57 -0800
>> From: Suvayu Ali<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
>>
>> $ ./configure
>> $ make bootstrap
>>
>> Then I edited the Makefile to use ${prefix}=/scratchdisk/myfolder and ran
>>
>> $ make install
>>
>> But this fails as make tries to install _some_ files in /usr/local/share/
>>
>> How do I ask make to install everything in /scratchdisk/myfolder ?
>
>   $ make distclean
>   $ ./configure prefix=/scratchdisk/myfolder
>   $ make
>   $ make install
>
>> Also can I remove my build directory after `make install' succeeds?
>> (short on disk space)
>
> Yes.

Thank you Eli and Lennart. Alls well now. :)

--

@ 2010-01-21  8:43   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2010-01-21  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tim X; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday 20 January 2010 10:12 PM, Tim X wrote:
> Suvayu Ali<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I was trying to install Emacs 23 from CVS on a Scientific Linux 4 machine and
>> ran into some problems. I am limited with write permissions to only my home
>> area and the /scratchdisk. So I checked out the CVS tree in a directory in
>> /scratchdisk and built emacs using
>>
>> $ ./configure
>> $ make bootstrap
>>
>> Then I edited the Makefile to use ${prefix}=/scratchdisk/myfolder and ran
>>
>> $ make install
>>
>> But this fails as make tries to install _some_ files in /usr/local/share/
>>
>> How do I ask make to install everything in /scratchdisk/myfolder ? Also can I
>> remove my build directory after `make install' succeeds? (short on disk space)
>>
>> Thanks for any pointers.
>
> There are a couple of things
>
> 1. Don't install. run form the directory you built emacs in. I do this a
> lot and it works fine.
>
> 2. the configure program has the option --with-prefix, which you can use
> to control the leading prefix for all the other bits. For exmaple,
> --with-prefix=/usr/local. This will still want to put things in
> /usr/local/libexec, l/usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share/emacs,
> /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp etc. So, create these dirs off the root
> of where you want it to be isntalled. i.e. /home/fred/emacs/libexec,
> /home/fred/emacs/share, etc.
>
> 3. If you run ./configure --help, it will list all the options to
> configure. Included in these optons are all the path setings i.e.
> bindir, libdir etc. Use all these to set the paths where you want them
> with configure i.e.
>
> ./configure --with-libdir=/home/fred/emacs/lib
> --with-bindir=/home/fred/bin --with-infodir=/home/fred/info etc.
>
> Personally, I would just run from the build dir.

Thanks Tim and Jason for your replies. My problem with running emacs
from the build directory is disk space, I only have a 300 MB quota. :-\
  I followed Eli's suggestion and have everything worked out. :)

--

@ 2010-01-21 15:53 ` Herbert J. Skuhra
From: Herbert J. Skuhra @ 2010-01-21 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Suvayu Ali
<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I was trying to install Emacs 23 from CVS on a Scientific Linux 4 machine
> and ran into some problems. I am limited with write permissions to only my
> home area and the /scratchdisk. So I checked out the CVS tree in a directory
> in /scratchdisk and built emacs using

Your question about building emacs was already answered.

One side note: the cvs tree is obsolete. The project now uses Bazaar.

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/#Obtaining

-Herbert

* Re: Help with installing Emacs 23(CVS) to a custom path
@ 2010-01-21 16:16   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2010-01-21 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Herbert J. Skuhra; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday 21 January 2010 07:53 AM, Herbert J. Skuhra wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Suvayu Ali
> <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I was trying to install Emacs 23 from CVS on a Scientific Linux 4 machine
>> and ran into some problems. I am limited with write permissions to only my
>> home area and the /scratchdisk. So I checked out the CVS tree in a directory
>> in /scratchdisk and built emacs using
>
> Your question about building emacs was already answered.
>
> One side note: the cvs tree is obsolete. The project now uses Bazaar.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/#Obtaining

Thanks for pointing this out Herbert, my problem however is I don't have
access to bazaar on my machine. Hence I chose the CVS tree. I see that
the Savannah project page mentions using rsync or scp, but I don't know
how I can do an anonymous checkout with either of them.

Thanks for any pointers.

--
Suvayu