all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs fails to use default locale
@ 2009-11-25 19:08 Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2009-11-25 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

According to

   http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xbd/envvar.html

if LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, and LANG are all either unset or empty, then the
implementation-dependent default locale is supposed to be used.  My
understanding is that this should be done by using setlocale(LC_CTYPE,
"").  But emacs's locale initialization seems to just use the
environment variables, so it doesn't pick up the default locale if the
variables are unset.

Ken

* Re: Emacs fails to use default locale
@ 2009-11-27 15:49 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-11-27 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ken Brown; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ken Brown skrev:
> According to
>
>   http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xbd/envvar.html
>
> if LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, and LANG are all either unset or empty, then the
> implementation-dependent default locale is supposed to be used.  My
> understanding is that this should be done by using setlocale(LC_CTYPE,
> "").  But emacs's locale initialization seems to just use the
> environment variables, so it doesn't pick up the default locale if the
> variables are unset.

setlocale(LC_ALL, "") is the way.  Emacs does that if LC_ALL is unset or not "C".

However, because of internal reasons, Emacs also does:
   /* The Emacs Lisp reader needs LC_NUMERIC to be "C",
      so that numbers are read and printed properly for Emacs Lisp.  */
   setlocale (LC_NUMERIC, "C");

Can you describe in more detail the problem you are seeing?  I.e. what output
is wrong?

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs fails to use default locale
@ 2009-11-27 18:06   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2009-11-27 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 11/27/2009 10:49 AM, Jan Djärv wrote:
> Ken Brown skrev:
>> According to
>>
>>   http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xbd/envvar.html
>>
>> if LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, and LANG are all either unset or empty, then the
>> implementation-dependent default locale is supposed to be used.  My
>> understanding is that this should be done by using setlocale(LC_CTYPE,
>> "").  But emacs's locale initialization seems to just use the
>> environment variables, so it doesn't pick up the default locale if the
>> variables are unset.
>>

> setlocale(LC_ALL, "") is the way.  Emacs does that if LC_ALL is unset or
> not "C".
>
> However, because of internal reasons, Emacs also does:
>   /* The Emacs Lisp reader needs LC_NUMERIC to be "C",
>      so that numbers are read and printed properly for Emacs Lisp.  */
>   setlocale (LC_NUMERIC, "C");
>
> Can you describe in more detail the problem you are seeing?  I.e. what
> output is wrong?

I'm working in Cygwin 1.7, which has recently adopted a default locale
that uses UTF-8 encoding.  If I start emacs with none of the locale
variables set, emacs appears to assume an ASCII character set.  (I don't
see "U" in the  mode line, for instance.)  Moreover, C-h C returns the
error message "Unknown button type `help-xref'".

When I referred to emacs's locale initialization in my original post, I
was referring to the code in lisp/international/mule-cmds.el.  I don't
really understand how this interacts with the setlocale calls.

Here's one further bit of information:  If I evaluate (getenv "LANG") in
  the scratch buffer, it returns nil (as expected), but then C-h C
suddenly works.  And it tells me that the default coding system is nil,
so it clearly hasn't picked up the system default.

@ 2009-11-28 15:20     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2009-11-28 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 11/27/2009 1:06 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 11/27/2009 10:49 AM, Jan Djärv wrote:
>> Ken Brown skrev:
>>> According to
>>>
>>>   http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xbd/envvar.html
>>>
>>> if LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, and LANG are all either unset or empty, then the
>>> implementation-dependent default locale is supposed to be used.  My
>>> understanding is that this should be done by using
>>> setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "").  But emacs's locale initialization seems to
>>> just use the environment variables, so it doesn't pick up the default
>>> locale if the variables are unset.
>>>

>> setlocale(LC_ALL, "") is the way.  Emacs does that if LC_ALL is unset
>> or not "C".
>>
>> However, because of internal reasons, Emacs also does:
>>   /* The Emacs Lisp reader needs LC_NUMERIC to be "C",
>>      so that numbers are read and printed properly for Emacs Lisp.  */
>>   setlocale (LC_NUMERIC, "C");
>>
>> Can you describe in more detail the problem you are seeing?  I.e. what
>> output is wrong?
>
> I'm working in Cygwin 1.7, which has recently adopted a default locale
> that uses UTF-8 encoding.  If I start emacs with none of the locale
> variables set, emacs appears to assume an ASCII character set.  (I don't
> see "U" in the  mode line, for instance.)  Moreover, C-h C returns the
> error message "Unknown button type `help-xref'".
>
> When I referred to emacs's locale initialization in my original post, I
> was referring to the code in lisp/international/mule-cmds.el.

Maybe the problem (or at least part of the problem) is that mule-cmds.el
doesn't call (locale-info 'codeset) when the CODESET can't be determined
  from environment variables.

Ken