all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#4843: creating menus
@ 2009-10-31 22:29 Daniel Carvalho
From: Daniel Carvalho @ 2009-10-31 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

hi
when I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 the elisp code to create menus
stop working.

Consider example in http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_menu.html
It creates the menu "MyMenu", but the menu itens inside it don't show!

The emacs version didn't change: GNU Emacs 22.2.1

Anyone else had this problem? how to solve it?

;; Creating a new menu pane in the menu bar to the right of “Tools” menu
(define-key-after
  global-map
  [menu-bar mymenu]
  (cons "MyMenu" (make-sparse-keymap "hoot hoot"))
  'tools )

;; Creating a menu item, under the menu by the id “[menu-bar mymenu]”
(define-key
  global-map
  [menu-bar mymenu nl]
  '("Next Line" . next-line))

;; creating another menu item
(define-key
  global-map
  [menu-bar mymenu pl]
  '("Previous Line" . previous-line))

;; code to remove the whole menu panel
;; (global-unset-key [menu-bar mymenu])

* bug#4843: creating menus
@ 2009-11-01 12:45 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-11-01 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Carvalho, 4843; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Daniel Carvalho skrev:
> hi
> when I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 the elisp code to create menus
> stop working.
>
> Consider example in http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_menu.html
> It creates the menu "MyMenu", but the menu itens inside it don't show!
>
> The emacs version didn't change: GNU Emacs 22.2.1
>
> Anyone else had this problem? how to solve it?

It can be because you are now using a newer Gtk+ version.  Please use
report-emacs-bug so we can see that at once instead of having to ask.

If indeed you are using Gtk+, it is due to the introduction of native windows.
To see if this is the case, start emacs with
% GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1 emacs
and try again.

	Jan D.

* bug#4843: creating menus
@ 2009-11-01 12:58   ` Daniel Carvalho
From: Daniel Carvalho @ 2009-11-01 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, 4843

2009/11/1 Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>:
> Daniel Carvalho skrev:
>>
>> hi
>> when I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 the elisp code to create menus
>> stop working.
>>
>> Consider example in http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_menu.html
>> It creates the menu "MyMenu", but the menu itens inside it don't show!
>>
>> The emacs version didn't change: GNU Emacs 22.2.1
>>
>> Anyone else had this problem? how to solve it?
>
> It can be because you are now using a newer Gtk+ version.  Please use
> report-emacs-bug so we can see that at once instead of having to ask.

Please see full report (without setting GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1) at end of message

> If indeed you are using Gtk+, it is due to the introduction of native
> windows.
> To see if this is the case, start emacs with
> % GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1 emacs
> and try again.

If I do it that way, the problem is solved!
thanks

--

To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: creating menus

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/22.2/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.2)
 of 2009-10-15 on rothera, modified by Ubuntu
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10604000
configured using `configure  '--build=i486-linux-gnu'
'--host=i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var'
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs22:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/22.2/leim'
'--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu'
'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN
-DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g -Wl,--as-needed'
'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: pt_PT.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  pc-selection-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<tab> <return>

Recent messages:
fim ponto_emacs
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
call-interactively: End of buffer

* bug#4843: creating menus
@ 2009-11-02  1:44 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-11-02  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: 4843

> It can be because you are now using a newer Gtk+ version.  Please use
> report-emacs-bug so we can see that at once instead of having to ask.
>
> If indeed you are using Gtk+, it is due to the introduction of native windows.
> To see if this is the case, start emacs with
> % GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1 emacs
> and try again.

I don't have any recollection of this problem.  Could you elaborate?  If
the menus don't work properly unless GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1, maybe we
should set it unconditionally.

* bug#4843: creating menus
@ 2009-11-02  8:08     ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2009-11-02  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Carvalho; +Cc: 4843-done, bug-gnu-emacs, 4843

On 2009-11-01 13:58, Daniel Carvalho wrote:
> 2009/11/1 Jan Djärv<jan.h.d@swipnet.se>:

>> If indeed you are using Gtk+, it is due to the introduction of native
>> windows.
>> To see if this is the case, start emacs with
>> % GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1 emacs
>> and try again.
>>

> If I do it that way, the problem is solved!
> thanks

Closing this report as I don't think there will be a new release in the
22 branch.  The 23 branch have a fix for this, and the next released 23
will handle this fine.

For Emacs 22, the workaround is to set GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1 in the
environment.

	Jan D.

* bug#4843: marked as done (creating menus)
@ 2009-11-02  8:15 ` Emacs bug Tracking System
From: Emacs bug Tracking System @ 2009-11-02  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan D.

Your message dated Mon, 02 Nov 2009 09:08:02 +0100
with message-id <4AEE9362.2050407@swipnet.se>
and subject line Re: bug#4843: creating menus
has caused the Emacs bug report #4843,
regarding creating menus
to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact owner@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com
immediately.)

--
4843: http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=4843
Emacs Bug Tracking System

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3695 bytes --]

From: Daniel Carvalho <idnael@gmail.com>
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 22:29:52 +0000

[...]

[-- Attachment #3: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2754 bytes --]

From: "Jan D." <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>
To: Daniel Carvalho <idnael@gmail.com>
Cc: 4843@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com, bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, 4843-done@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com
Subject: Re: bug#4843: creating menus
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 09:08:02 +0100

@ 2009-11-02  8:20 ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2009-11-02  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: 4843

On 2009-11-02 02:44, Chong Yidong wrote:
>> It can be because you are now using a newer Gtk+ version.  Please use
>> report-emacs-bug so we can see that at once instead of having to ask.
>>
>> If indeed you are using Gtk+, it is due to the introduction of native windows.
>> To see if this is the case, start emacs with
>> % GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1 emacs
>> and try again.
>
> I don't have any recollection of this problem.  Could you elaborate?  If
> the menus don't work properly unless GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1, maybe we
> should set it unconditionally.

Native windows is Gtk having internal windows that map to the same X
window.  This confuses Emacs, mostly when it tries to map X events for
windows to frames.  I.e. there might not be separate X windows in the
menu that is children to the frame X window.  See bug #4122.

I'd rather not set GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS as it disables the optimizations
that native windows give.  It may also be removed in a future Gtk+
release, so it isn't a good solution.

It isn't hard to fix emacs 22 as well, but does this bug warrant a new
22 release?  Maybe, as distributions like Ubuntu still ships 22 (see the
linked Ubuntu bug in #4122).  A 23-release soonish is not wrong though :-)

	Jan D.