all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 23 cocoa (OS X)
@ 2008-07-12  8:18 Cezar Halmagean
From: Cezar Halmagean @ 2008-07-12  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

  How can I get the latest version of emacs (from CVS) to have use
  cocoa. I've been told that the version in macports is buggy.

Cezar

* Re: emacs 23 cocoa (OS X)
       [not found] <m2y747tt0p.fsf@cezar@mixandgo.com>
@ 2008-07-12  8:37 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-07-12  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar Halmagean; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.07.2008 um 10:18 schrieb Cezar Halmagean:

>   How can I get the latest version of emacs (from CVS) to have use
>   cocoa.

By waiting. If you can't, here you can download some 100 MB of code
(announcement of Adrian Robert, the developer of Emacs.app, from the
middle of May 2008):

Thanks to efforts by Stephan Monnier and others, Emacs.app is now in
the GNU emacs bazaar (bzr) repository.

You can check it out by:

   bzr get http://arch.sv.gnu.org/archives/emacs/bzr/emacs.app

If you have write access to the GNU Emacs project already, then you
can get it by putting sftp instead of http.

You can merge in from the trunk to your local copy with this command:

   bzr merge http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs/trunk

Some points to note:

1) I have not yet been able to check this out myself.  Apparently it
is slow (see http://blog.orebokech.com/2008/03/emacs-in-bzr-initial-
impressions.html
though this also relates to the notengo server -- arch.sv.gnu.org
appears even slower right now!).  I was told you could download a
tarball from there and then do an update similar to above commands as
a quicker way to get the branch.  There is also a '--lightweight'
option to the get/checkout command, and I am trying this now.

2) I'll be on vacation for two weeks starting today.  Once I'm back
I'll merge to trunk periodically and check in the results, so merging
yourself shouldn't be necessary.

3) The Emacs.app code that is checked in is significantly modified
from the last release.  It has been updated to latest trunk, some bugs
reported here have been fixed (or at least attempted), mixed GUI and
TTY sessions now work, etc..  Please verify a bug exists on this
version before reporting.  One known issue: random frame switching
sometimes when moving cursor.  See -keydown: and -sendEvent: for code
that affects this, and line 11,366 in xdisp.c (PENDING comment in
redisplay_internal()).

4) Feel free to submit improvement patches here if you don't have
write access to the repository.  Even if you do, I'd prefer to review
things before check-in so as to expedite the process of merging to
trunk.  Note that bzr is a distributed VCS.  It should be possible to
maintain your patches locally, allow others to access them, and easily
merge them in when the time comes.  Hopefully this will be good.

best regards,
Adrian

--
Greetings

   Pete

We have to expect it, otherwise we would be surprised.

* Re: emacs 23 cocoa (OS X)
@ 2008-07-12  8:42 ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2008-07-12  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Cezar Halmagean <cezar@mixandgo.com> writes:

>   How can I get the latest version of emacs (from CVS) to have use
>   cocoa. I've been told that the version in macports is buggy.

You can't- the version in cvs is Carbon based. The Cocoa veriosn is
Emacs.app which will be merged back into Emacs cvs once complete.

Charles

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 193 bytes --]

* Re: emacs 23 cocoa (OS X)
@ 2008-07-12 17:45   ` Cezar Halmagean
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Cezar Halmagean @ 2008-07-12 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 12.07.2008 um 10:18 schrieb Cezar Halmagean:
>
> Thanks to efforts by Stephan Monnier and others, Emacs.app is now in
> the GNU emacs bazaar (bzr) repository.
>
> You can check it out by:
>
>   bzr get http://arch.sv.gnu.org/archives/emacs/bzr/emacs.app

I get this err msg: bzr: ERROR: Transport error: Server refuses to
fullfil the request

Cezar

* Re: emacs 23 cocoa (OS X)
       [not found]   ` <m2bq13q9mz.fsf@cezar@mixandgo.com>
@ 2008-07-12 21:17     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-07-12 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar Halmagean; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.07.2008 um 19:45 schrieb Cezar Halmagean:

> I get this err msg: bzr: ERROR: Transport error: Server refuses to
> fullfil the request

Mine is another one:

	bzr: ERROR: exceptions.MemoryError:

--
Greetings

   Pete

Windows, c'est un peu comme le beaujolais nouveau: à chaque nouvelle
cuvée on sait que ce sera dégueulasse, mais on en prend quand même,
par masochisme.

* Re: emacs 23 cocoa (OS X)
@ 2008-07-13 17:50   ` Cezar Halmagean
       [not found]   ` <m2vdz9vfl1.fsf@cezar@mixandgo.com>
       [not found]   ` <m2bq13q9mz.fsf@cezar@mixandgo.com>
From: Cezar Halmagean @ 2008-07-13 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Well, if cocoa version is not ready/downloadable how about xft
(antialias) fonts in osx using x11. Especially he Moncao font which I
love from OSX. How can It be done ?

Cezar

* Re: emacs 23 cocoa (OS X)
@ 2008-07-13 18:23     ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2008-07-13 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Cezar Halmagean <cezar@mixandgo.com> writes:

You should be able to get the bzr repository. There is a bug in the
version of bzr you are using- follow these instructions:

http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-app-dev-@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00500.html

Be fore warned though the bzr repository is huge compared to cvs and
arch- I don't know why.

> Well, if cocoa version is not ready/downloadable how about xft
> (antialias) fonts in osx using x11. Especially he Moncao font which I
> love from OSX. How can It be done ?

I don't know how X11 is setup in Mac OS X. You will need a version of
X11 Emacs compiled with the libraries I mentioned before. Install the
Moncao truetype font in X11, find the font name and start Emacs withe
-fn argument like I mentioned before.

@ 2008-07-13 18:57     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]       ` <m2prphvc28.fsf@cezar@mixandgo.com>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-07-13 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar Halmagean; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.07.2008 um 19:50 schrieb Cezar Halmagean:

> Well, if cocoa version is not ready/downloadable how about xft
> (antialias) fonts in osx using x11. Especially he Moncao font which I
> love from OSX. How can It be done ?

X resources:

	Emacs.FontBackend:             xft
	!Emacs.FontBackend:             x,xft

Emacs*font or Emacs*fontSet can also contain the xft string when
using fontinfo font names. I do not have much more details.

To use Monaco in X11 you'd need to tell fontinfo where to find the
font. And the font needs to be in a format that X11 understands.
OpenOffice uses fondu to convert the format. There is also a Fink
package, applesystemfonts (?), that integrates the Mac OS X fonts
into X11. Maybe X11 in Leopard prepares this, too. Fc-list should
list it then.

--
Greetings

   Pete

And always remember the last words of my grandfather, who said: “A
truck!”
				— Emo Phillips

* Re: emacs 23 cocoa (OS X)
@ 2008-07-13 19:06       ` Cezar Halmagean
       [not found]       ` <m2prphvc28.fsf@cezar@mixandgo.com>
From: Cezar Halmagean @ 2008-07-13 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 13.07.2008 um 19:50 schrieb Cezar Halmagean:
>
>> Well, if cocoa version is not ready/downloadable how about xft
>> (antialias) fonts in osx using x11. Especially he Moncao font which I
>> love from OSX. How can It be done ?
>
> X resources:
>
> 	Emacs.FontBackend:             xft
> 	!Emacs.FontBackend:             x,xft

I've tried, I get : No font backend available

Also ./configure --enable-carbon-app gives me this:

checking for xft >= 0.13.0... no

Cezar

* Re: emacs 23 cocoa (OS X)
       [not found]       ` <m2prphvc28.fsf@cezar@mixandgo.com>
@ 2008-07-13 19:22         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-07-13 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar Halmagean; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.07.2008 um 21:06 schrieb Cezar Halmagean:

> I've tried, I get : No font backend available

Re-configure.

> Also ./configure --enable-carbon-app gives me this:
>
> checking for xft >= 0.13.0... no

What has a Carbon app to do with X11?

If it's missing, install it! That's the bright side of modular software.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Ce qui été compris n'existe plus.    (Paul Eluard)

@ 2008-07-15 21:48     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-07-15 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar Halmagean; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.07.2008 um 19:45 schrieb Cezar Halmagean:

> I get this err msg: bzr: ERROR: Transport error: Server refuses to
> fullfil the request

A few hours ago Adrian Robert announced that the Cocoa port was
integrated into GNU Emacs 23.0.60 from CVS.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"We need a president who's fluent in at least one language."
				– Buck Henry

* Re: emacs 23 cocoa (OS X)
@ 2008-07-15 21:50       ` Cezar Halmagean
       [not found]         ` <mailman.14801.1216160518.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Cezar Halmagean @ 2008-07-15 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2008-07-15 14:48:00 -0700, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> said:

> Am 12.07.2008 um 19:45 schrieb Cezar Halmagean:
>
>> I get this err msg: bzr: ERROR: Transport error: Server refuses to
>> fullfil the request
>

> A few hours ago Adrian Robert announced that the Cocoa port was
> integrated into GNU Emacs 23.0.60 from CVS.

Funny, I was trying to compile emacs from cvs again. But I get some
errors. Is there a thread somewhere or mailing list about it ?

Cezar

* Re: emacs 23 cocoa (OS X)
@ 2008-07-15 22:21         ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]         ` <mailman.14801.1216160518.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-07-15 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar Halmagean; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.07.2008 um 23:50 schrieb Cezar Halmagean:

>> A few hours ago Adrian Robert announced that the Cocoa port was
>> integrated into GNU Emacs 23.0.60 from CVS.
>
> Funny, I was trying to compile emacs from cvs again. But I get some
> errors. Is there a thread somewhere or mailing list about it ?

Emacs-app-dev- mailing list
Emacs-app-dev-@lists.sourceforge.net

Greetings

   Pete

Eat the rich – the poor are tough and stringy.

* Re: emacs 23 cocoa (OS X)
       [not found]         ` <mailman.14801.1216160518.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-07-16  4:33           ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-07-16  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Emacs-app-dev- mailing list
> Emacs-app-dev-@lists.sourceforge.net

Is there a reason the list name ends in a hypen?  I thought it was a
typo at first and it took me a while to find the archives ....

-Miles

--
Back, n. That part of your friend which it is your privilege to contemplate in
your adversity.

* Re: emacs 23 cocoa (OS X)
@ 2008-07-16  8:48             ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-07-16  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.07.2008 um 06:33 schrieb Miles Bader:

>> Emacs-app-dev- mailing list
>> Emacs-app-dev-@lists.sourceforge.net
>
> Is there a reason the list name ends in a hypen?  I thought it was a
> typo at first and it took me a while to find the archives ....

*I* have no explanation – could be Adrian Robert remembers ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.
				– Elbert Hubbard