all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [BUG?] emacs-23.1 OSX emacsclient always opens a new frame
@ 2009-08-17 10:54 Mark Evenson
From: Mark Evenson @ 2009-08-17 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[Using a self-compiled emacs-23.1 under i386-apple-darwin9.8.0
configured with the '--with-ns' option.]

In migrating to emacs-23, all does not seem well with the emacsclient
command.  My Emacs workflow is to not use frames at all.  Now, when I
invoke 'emacsclient' on a file (without any additional flags) under OSX,
it always opens a new frame.  Additionally, upon launch, the new frame
presents a message of the form "Buffer 'xxx.txt' still has clients, kill
it? (yes or no)", with the code execution seeming to be at the point
after one issues the 'server-edit' ("C-x #") command.   It seems like
the 'emacsclient' code doesn't really understand how to open the buffer
in the current frame, failing to wait for the server-edit command, and
then somehow recovering on the broken socket, but this is just a hunch.

Five minutes of glancing through 'emacsclient.c' wasn't particularly
helpful.  But maybe my understanding of how Emacs 23 handles Frames
needs some education.

is nothing to compare to it now."

* Re: [BUG?] emacs-23.1 OSX emacsclient always opens a new frame
@ 2009-08-18  8:10 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.4841.1250583053.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-08-18  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Evenson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.08.2009 um 12:54 schrieb Mark Evenson:

> Five minutes of glancing through 'emacsclient.c' wasn't
> particularly helpful.

Indeed! The NS code addition also provide support for DnD
(Drag&Drop), in which a new frame is created. Emacsclient accepts the
-c option by which the server is advised to create a new frame, and -
nw to open the window here in this terminal emulation.

Are you making your tests without any customisation? (/Applications/
Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/Emacs -Q &) Could be this customisation
causes the behaviour you see... (My self-compiled Emacs.app, Tiger
PPC, does *not* create a new frame when I invoke emacsclient, but I
prefer to work with at least one frame. All the time.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Theory and practice are the same, in theory, but, in practice, they
are different.

@ 2009-08-18  8:47   ` Mark Evenson
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4860.1250658888.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mark Evenson @ 2009-08-18  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 8/18/09 10:10 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
[…]

> Are you making your tests without any customisation?
> (/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/Emacs -Q &) Could be this
> customisation causes the behaviour you see... (My self-compiled
> Emacs.app, Tiger PPC, does *not* create a new frame when I invoke
> emacsclient, but I prefer to work with at least one frame. All the time.)

Testing this without customization yields the same result of an
additional frame popping up, immediately prompting me whether I wish to
kill the buffer that still has clients, so this doesn't seem to be the
issue.

Maybe a Tiger v Leopard difference?  Could someone running Leopard with
emacs-23.1 please comment on the behavior of emacsclient under their setup?

@ 2009-08-19  5:14     ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4860.1250658888.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2009-08-19  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 18, 2009, at 4:47 PM, Mark Evenson wrote:

> On 8/18/09 10:10 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> […]
>
>> Are you making your tests without any customisation?
>> (/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/Emacs -Q &) Could be this
>> customisation causes the behaviour you see... (My self-compiled
>> Emacs.app, Tiger PPC, does *not* create a new frame when I invoke
>> emacsclient, but I prefer to work with at least one frame. All the
>> time.)
>
> Testing this without customization yields the same result of an
> additional frame popping up, immediately prompting me whether I wish
> to kill the buffer that still has clients, so this doesn't seem to
> be the issue.
>
> Maybe a Tiger v Leopard difference?  Could someone running Leopard
> with emacs-23.1 please comment on the behavior of emacsclient under
> their setup?

Whoops, -n is --no-wait, nothing to do with frames, not sure what I
was thinking. I'm using emacs 23 CVS head on Leopard, and it doesn't
create a frame by default (I see there's a -c --create-frame option
that *will* force it to make a new frame). It works just the way you'd
expect it to...

Eric

@ 2009-08-19  7:19       ` Mark Evenson
From: Mark Evenson @ 2009-08-19  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 8/19/09 7:14 AM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
[…]
> Whoops, -n is --no-wait, nothing to do with frames, not sure what I was
> thinking. I'm using emacs 23 CVS head on Leopard, and it doesn't create
> a frame by default (I see there's a -c --create-frame option that *will*
> force it to make a new frame). It works just the way you'd expect it to...

Then I will bear down harder on attaching a gdb instance to my
'emacsclient' to try to determine whats special about my situation.

Thanks for the report,
Mark

is nothing to compare to it now."

* [SOLVED] emacs-23.1 OSX emacsclient always opens a new frame
       [not found] ` <mailman.4841.1250583053.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-20  8:28 ` Mark Evenson
From: Mark Evenson @ 2009-08-20  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 8/17/09 12:54 PM, Mark Evenson wrote:
> [Using a self-compiled emacs-23.1 under i386-apple-darwin9.8.0
> configured with the '--with-ns' option.]
>
> In migrating to emacs-23, all does not seem well with the emacsclient
> command. My Emacs workflow is to not use frames at all. Now, when I
> invoke 'emacsclient' on a file (without any additional flags) under OSX,
> it always opens a new frame

Rebuilding with the released version of [the MacPorts port][1] version
has made my problem go away (I was trying a pre-release version of the
MacPorts build).  The difference appears to be the addition of the
"--without-x" to the configure invocation, although I didn't verify this.

Thanks for the help.

[1]:
http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports/aqua/emacs-app/Portfile

is nothing to compare to it now."