all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs fontset combination problem
@ 2009-08-03  8:17 Kiwon Um
From: Kiwon Um @ 2009-08-03  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dear GNU emacs dev team.

Hello. I posted a message on the google's emacs.help group. But it seems
not to exist any good solution now, so I send it as a quotation:

> Hello. Let's discuss about follows.
>
> When we use a combination font-setting of over two fonts in
> emacs, it may be due to the multi-language editing
> support. Those different fonts have varieties in their size,
> e.g. many Asian glyphs occupy double width space of an
> alphabet. (Even though the wide font is not perfectly double
> wide space of one alphabet, many users want that the occupied
> size of one wide character such as Asian character to be exactly
> same with two alphabet characters, namely fixed font setting)
>
> However, we must consider the line spacing, I mean the height of
> the fonts. Although the width between different fonts have
> variation along each other, the height (or line spacing) should
> keep same, or, it would be better to allow user to be able to
> set the base height, IMO.
>
> If it's not, to keep the consistency in the height spacing with
> various widths (size settings) of fonts, emacs needs to check the
> largest height value along each specified
> charset (i.e. fontset). Currently, emacs seems to set the base
> height to the value of the default fontset. Then, if the height
> value of other user-specified charset's font is larger, for line
> having those fonts, it may cause inconsistent result in line
> spacing. (This is exactly now happening.)
>
> So, how can user specify different fontsets with different sizes
> for each, but with consistent height?  As you all already know,
> users can set the line-spacing value to control the space between
> lines. But this works only for the space between lines, not for
> the height of a line itself.
>
>  Here is one case with the problem:
>      (set-face-font 'default (font-spec :family "terminus" :size 14))
>      (set-fontset-font nil 'korean-ksc5601
>                        (font-spec :family "Guseul" :registry "unicode-
>  bmp" :lang "ko" :size 16)))
>
> Thanks.

FYI, I attached a figure about what I mean, additionally so you can
check it easily. I'm using emacs-cvs version 23.1.50.

I think the flexibility of font combination in emacs is one of powerful
functionality others haven't. Thanks for your efforts to keep such a
good functionality.

--
Best regards,
Kiwon Um