Dear GNU emacs dev team. Hello. I posted a message on the google's emacs.help group. But it seems not to exist any good solution now, so I send it as a quotation: > Hello. Let's discuss about follows. > > When we use a combination font-setting of over two fonts in > emacs, it may be due to the multi-language editing > support. Those different fonts have varieties in their size, > e.g. many Asian glyphs occupy double width space of an > alphabet. (Even though the wide font is not perfectly double > wide space of one alphabet, many users want that the occupied > size of one wide character such as Asian character to be exactly > same with two alphabet characters, namely fixed font setting) > > However, we must consider the line spacing, I mean the height of > the fonts. Although the width between different fonts have > variation along each other, the height (or line spacing) should > keep same, or, it would be better to allow user to be able to > set the base height, IMO. > > If it's not, to keep the consistency in the height spacing with > various widths (size settings) of fonts, emacs needs to check the > largest height value along each specified > charset (i.e. fontset). Currently, emacs seems to set the base > height to the value of the default fontset. Then, if the height > value of other user-specified charset's font is larger, for line > having those fonts, it may cause inconsistent result in line > spacing. (This is exactly now happening.) > > So, how can user specify different fontsets with different sizes > for each, but with consistent height? As you all already know, > users can set the line-spacing value to control the space between > lines. But this works only for the space between lines, not for > the height of a line itself. > > Here is one case with the problem: > (set-face-font 'default (font-spec :family "terminus" :size 14)) > (set-fontset-font nil 'korean-ksc5601 > (font-spec :family "Guseul" :registry "unicode- > bmp" :lang "ko" :size 16))) > > Thanks. FYI, I attached a figure about what I mean, additionally so you can check it easily. I'm using emacs-cvs version 23.1.50. I think the flexibility of font combination in emacs is one of powerful functionality others haven't. Thanks for your efforts to keep such a good functionality. -- Best regards, Kiwon Um