all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: How to make display-buffer automatically focus (e.g. for help buffers)
@ 2009-07-13 15:10 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2009-07-13 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dnquark; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > I would like to implement the following behavior for buffers that pop
 > up when e.g. help is invoked: I want the pop-up buffer to
 > automatically take focus.

For help buffers you should be able to do that by customizing
`help-window-select' to t.

 > I tried to advise the display-buffer
 > function with (other-window 1), but this solution is suboptimal: for
 > instance, if I continue browsing help it will be using display-buffer
 > but will be reusing its window -- so (other-window 1) makes the
 > already selected help window lose focus.  Is there a better solution?

The canonical function for this purpose is `pop-to-buffer'.  Wherever
`display-buffer' is called, the explicit intention is to _not_ select
the window that command uses.

 > In addition: for any buffer that pops up automatically (Help,
 > completions, TeX compilation results, etc) I would like to be able to
 > create filters based on buffer name and optionally turn on the View
 > mode (so that the buffer could be easily searched and/or dismissed by
 > pressing 'q').  I searched extensively, but couldn't find a ready-made
 > function that would do that...

Most of these buffers should be in View mode and typing `q' should quit
them.  Which ones don't?

martin

* How to make display-buffer automatically focus (e.g. for help  buffers)
@ 2009-07-13 11:12 dnquark
From: dnquark @ 2009-07-13 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I would like to implement the following behavior for buffers that pop
up when e.g. help is invoked: I want the pop-up buffer to
automatically take focus.  I tried to advise the display-buffer