all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* New emacs maintainer for cygwin
@ 2009-05-15 13:41 Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2009-05-15 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

I have just taken over as the emacs maintainer for cygwin.  My hope is
to have an up-to-date emacs package for cygwin when cygwin 1.7
(currently in beta testing) is released.  To get started, I built the
emacs 23.0.92 pretest for cygwin 1.7 and made it available as an
experimental package:

    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2009-05/msg00016.html

If there are any cygwin users on this list who want to try it out, I
would welcome any feedback.  But you have to also be willing to try out
cygwin 1.7 (see http://cygwin.com/#beta-test).

Ken

* Re: New emacs maintainer for cygwin
@ 2009-05-20  8:05 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2009-05-20  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs; +Cc: Ken Brown

Ken Brown wrote:

> followed by this workaround:

>>     To work around this, build Emacs like this:
>>

>>       LDFLAGS='-Wl,--enable-auto-import -Wl,--enable-auto-image-base' ./configure
>>       make LD='$(CC)'
>>       make LD='$(CC)' install
>>

>>     This produces an Emacs binary that is independent of rebasing.
>>

>>     Note that you _must_ use LD='$(CC)' in the last two commands above, to
>>     prevent GCC from passing the "--image-base 0x20000000" option to the
>>     linker, which is what it does by default.  That option produces an
>>     Emacs binary with the base address 0x20000000, which will cause Emacs
>>     to hang after Cygwin DLLs are rebased.

That workaround was born when I started to build Emacs. I found that the
resulting build where more stable. Really it does not help in rebasing,
which regards only DLL and not EXE, but it helps to build ALL the EXE
(not only emacs.exe etc.) with those flags (-Wl,--enable...). To be
honest, it is some time that in my build I use only:

auto_import="-Wl,--enable-auto-import"
pseudo_reloc="-Wl,--enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc"

which should be recommended. Indeed, if I have well understood the
discussion on Cygwin lists, in a future release of binutils, the new
ld.exe should add automatically those flags in building exe file.

Obviosly, those flags should be applied via cigwin.h, but the patch I
found added them only for emacs.exe so I omitted to propose the patch.

Cheers,
    Angelo.

---
Don't know much about geography
Don't know much trigonometry
Don't know much about algebra

    Sam Cooke, Wonderful World

* Re: New emacs maintainer for cygwin
@ 2009-05-20 22:19 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2009-05-20 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ken Brown; +Cc: Emacs

Ken Brown wrote:
> I realize that this patch does not fix a regression from emacs 22.3,

Gulp! Which regression I am missing?

Anyway...

> so maybe it should wait until after 23.1 is released. But it affect only the cygwin build, and it would simplify my task of patching etc/PROBLEMS if it could be applied soon.

I have tested the patch which Ken sent yesterday and it produces the
same build log I obtain with my workaround cited in etc/PROBLEMS...

So +1 to be applied soon...

Cheers,
    Angelo.