all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#2920: emacs freezes because of lock files in samba server
@ 2009-04-07 14:16 Sergio Roa
From: Sergio Roa @ 2009-04-07 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 2920

Just to add some information, which I sent already to
emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org, because I didn't know how this bug system
works...

I found that the source of the problem is the lock file for Samba
directories:

A link in the client "aliena.dfki"

.#prueba.xml -> sergio@pandion.dfki.uni-sb.de.10144

is created and not deleted (in the server "pandion.dfki") after emacs
quit. Therefore after the second and subsequent editions of the file
emacs freezes.

--
Sergio Roa
http://www.dfki.de/~sroa

* bug#2920: emacs freezes because of lock files in samba server
@ 2009-04-07 14:51 Sergio Roa
From: Sergio Roa @ 2009-04-07 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 2920

I found that in fact when I perform the command

rm .#prueba.xml

on the mounted directory in the client computer, the operating system
tries to delete the file but it doesn't manage to delete it in the
server... This behaviour only occurs with links to other files. For
instance, I created a file "otraprueba.xml" which points to "prueba.xml"
and then tried to delete it (working on the client computer), without
success.

So, apparently it is a Mac OS or Samba problem.

--

@ 2009-04-07 17:21 ` Sergio Roa
From: Sergio Roa @ 2009-04-07 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 2920

Just for information: the workaround is to set the following in
/etc/samba/smb.conf (in my case is an Ubuntu linux samba server):

unix extensions = no

so that now there is no problem editing the files mounted in a Volume in
my MacOS Leopard client :)