all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How size the windows horizontally in emacs
@ 2009-03-19 14:00 Anand Dhanakshirur
From: Anand Dhanakshirur @ 2009-03-19 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs help

Hi,
When we have mutliple windows.
We can move the window divider in up or down direction(vertically).
But we can't move the window divider left ot right(horizonatlly).
Is there any way to do that?
gvim does it nice.
Anand

* Re: How size the windows horizontally in emacs
@ 2009-03-19 14:04 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-19 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Dhanakshirur; +Cc: emacs help

Am 19.03.2009 um 15:00 schrieb Anand Dhanakshirur:

> Is there any way to do that?

The function's name is enlarge-window-horizontally.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"No man was ever taken to hell by a woman unless he already had a
ticket in his pocket, or at least had been fooling around with
timetables."
				– Archie Goodwin

* Re: How size the windows horizontally in emacs
@ 2009-03-19 14:19   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-03-19 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: emacs help, Anand Dhanakshirur

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 19.03.2009 um 15:00 schrieb Anand Dhanakshirur:
>
>> Is there any way to do that?
>

> The function's name is enlarge-window-horizontally.

See also http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WindowResize

* Re: How size the windows horizontally in emacs
@ 2009-03-19 14:25   ` Anand Dhanakshirur
From: Anand Dhanakshirur @ 2009-03-19 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: emacs help

Thanks.
That works..

       [not found] <mailman.3570.1237470726.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-19 14:31 ` Marc Tfardy
From: Marc Tfardy @ 2009-03-19 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Anand Dhanakshirur schrieb:
> Hi,
> When we have mutliple windows.
> We can move the window divider in up or down direction(vertically).
> But we can't move the window divider left ot right(horizonatlly).
> Is there any way to do that?
> gvim does it nice.
> Anand

Very nice emacs package: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DoReMi
DoReMi allows you to change some things very quickly via cursor key
or mouse wheel. This things are for example windows height (and width),
buffers, marks, bookmarks, color themes, fonts, frame position
and geometry. And of course you can adapt DoReMi for your own purposes.

Very recommended!

regards
Marc

@ 2009-03-19 14:35 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-03-19 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 19, 10:00 pm, Anand Dhanakshirur <a...@cdotb.ernet.in> wrote:

> But we can't move the window divider left ot right(horizonatlly).

You can drag the window divider on the modeline, where there are no
scrollbars in the way.

* RE: How size the windows horizontally in emacs
@ 2009-03-19 21:09     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-03-19 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Anand Dhanakshirur', 'Peter Dyballa'
  Cc: 'emacs help'

> > The function's name is enlarge-window-horizontally.

`C-h w enlarge-window-horizontally RET' ->

enlarge-window-horizontally is on C-x }

`C-h a window horizontal RET' ->

enlarge-window-horizontally   C-x }
  Command: Make current window ARG columns wider.
mouse-split-window-horizontally	<mode-line> <C-mouse-2>
  Command: Select Emacs window mouse is on, then split it horizontally in half.
shrink-window-horizontally    C-x {
  Command: Make current window ARG columns narrower.
split-window-horizontally     C-x 3
  Command: Split current window into two windows side by side.