all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Expand/unexpand window possible?
@ 2009-03-12 10:03 Lars Haugseth
From: Lars Haugseth @ 2009-03-12 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When typing C-x 1 in a multi-window frame, the current window will fill
the entire frame, but all other windows will be deleted so that there will
be no going back to the previous multi-window setup. Is there any way to
achieve this expand/unexpand functionality without major elisp wizardry on
my part?

--
Lars Haugseth

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to
 retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it." -Tom Lehrer

* Re: Expand/unexpand window possible?
@ 2009-03-12 10:29 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-03-12 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lars Haugseth <njus@larshaugseth.com> writes:

> When typing C-x 1 in a multi-window frame, the current window will fill
> the entire frame, but all other windows will be deleted so that there will
> be no going back to the previous multi-window setup. Is there any way to
> achieve this expand/unexpand functionality without major elisp wizardry on
> my part?

What about minor elisp wizardry on MY part?

(defun temporarily-expand ()
  (interactive)
  (save-window-excursion
    (delete-other-windows)
    (message "Finish with %s"
             (describe-key-briefly (first (where-is-internal 'abort-recursive-edit))))
    (recursive-edit)))

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Expand/unexpand window possible?
@ 2009-03-12 11:07   ` Lars Haugseth
From: Lars Haugseth @ 2009-03-12 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:

> Lars Haugseth <njus@larshaugseth.com> writes:
>
> > When typing C-x 1 in a multi-window frame, the current window will fill
> > the entire frame, but all other windows will be deleted so that there will
> > be no going back to the previous multi-window setup. Is there any way to
> > achieve this expand/unexpand functionality without major elisp wizardry on
> > my part?
>
> What about minor elisp wizardry on MY part?
>
> (defun temporarily-expand ()
>   (interactive)
>   (save-window-excursion
>     (delete-other-windows)
>     (message "Finish with %s"
>              (describe-key-briefly (first (where-is-internal 'abort-recursive-edit))))
>     (recursive-edit)))

Lovely! Much appreciated.

--
Lars Haugseth

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to
 retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it." -Tom Lehrer

* Re: Expand/unexpand window possible?
@ 2009-03-12 11:17 ` Marc Tfardy
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Marc Tfardy @ 2009-03-12 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lars Haugseth schrieb:
> When typing C-x 1 in a multi-window frame, the current window will fill
> the entire frame, but all other windows will be deleted so that there will
> be no going back to the previous multi-window setup. Is there any way to
> achieve this expand/unexpand functionality without major elisp wizardry on
> my part?

window-configuration-to-register is solution for your problem:

,----[ C-h f window-configuration-to-register RET ]
| window-configuration-to-register is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `register.el'.
| It is bound to C-x r w.
| (window-configuration-to-register register &optional arg)
|
| Store the window configuration of the selected frame in register register.
| Use C-x r j to restore the configuration.
| Argument is a character, naming the register.
|
| [back]
`----

regards
Marc

* Re: Expand/unexpand window possible?
@ 2009-03-12 12:42     ` cmic
From: cmic @ 2009-03-12 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 12 mar, 12:07, Lars Haugseth <n...@larshaugseth.com> wrote:
> * p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:
>

> > Lars Haugseth <n...@larshaugseth.com> writes:
>
> > > When typing C-x 1 in a multi-window frame, the current window will fill
> > > the entire frame, but all other windows will be deleted so that there will
> > > be no going back to the previous multi-window setup. Is there any way to
> > > achieve this expand/unexpand functionality without major elisp wizardry on
> > > my part?
>
> > What about minor elisp wizardry on MY part?
>
> > (defun temporarily-expand ()
> >   (interactive)
> >   (save-window-excursion
> >     (delete-other-windows)
> >     (message "Finish with %s"
> >              (describe-key-briefly (first (where-is-internal 'abort-recursive-edit))))
> >     (recursive-edit)))
>
> Lovely! Much appreciated.

huh. Sorry, but [as a neophyt] how to use this snippet of code?
I did put it in .emacs, then open 2 windows, then M-x  temporarily-
expand
but what else ?

rgds
--
michel marcon aka cmic

@ 2009-03-12 12:51       ` Anders Wirzenius
From: Anders Wirzenius @ 2009-03-12 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

cmic@live.fr writes:

> On 12 mar, 12:07, Lars Haugseth <n...@larshaugseth.com> wrote:
>> * p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:

>> > What about minor elisp wizardry on MY part?
>>
>> > (defun temporarily-expand ()
>> >   (interactive)
>> >   (save-window-excursion
>> >     (delete-other-windows)
>> >     (message "Finish with %s"
>> >              (describe-key-briefly (first (where-is-internal 'abort-recursive-edit))))
>> >     (recursive-edit)))
>>
>> Lovely! Much appreciated.
>
> huh. Sorry, but [as a neophyt] how to use this snippet of code?
> I did put it in .emacs, then open 2 windows, then M-x  temporarily-
> expand
> but what else ?
>
> rgds
> --
> michel marcon aka cmic
>>
>> --
>> Lars Haugseth
>>
>> "If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to
>>  retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it." -Tom Lehrer

M-x abort-recursive-edit

You may want to assign those commands to some key.

--
Anders

* Re: Expand/unexpand window possible?
@ 2009-03-12 13:23       ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-03-12 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

cmic@live.fr writes:

> On 12 mar, 12:07, Lars Haugseth <n...@larshaugseth.com> wrote:
>> * p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:

>> > What about minor elisp wizardry on MY part?
>>
>> > (defun temporarily-expand ()
>> >   (interactive)
>> >   (save-window-excursion
>> >     (delete-other-windows)
>> >     (message "Finish with %s"
>> >              (describe-key-briefly (first (where-is-internal 'abort-recursive-edit))))
>> >     (recursive-edit)))
>>
>> Lovely! Much appreciated.
>
> huh. Sorry, but [as a neophyt] how to use this snippet of code?
> I did put it in .emacs, then open 2 windows, then M-x  temporarily-
> expand
> but what else ?

As a newbie, you need to learn to be aware of the mini-buffer and the
mode line.  These are the two lines at the bottom of the emacs frame.
When  youtype M-x temporary-expand RET, a message appears in the
mini-buffer tell you what to do then to revert to the initial window
confguration. Namely, type C-], with the standard keymap.

Otherwise, window-configuration-to-register is nice too.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Expand/unexpand window possible?
@ 2009-03-12 13:34     ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2009-03-12 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 12, 4:07 pm, Lars Haugseth <n...@larshaugseth.com> wrote:
> * p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:

> Lovely! Much appreciated.

Yes thats nice.
But I had to change first to car.
Did car become first some time?

> --
> Lars Haugseth
>
> "If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to
>  retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it." -Tom Lehrer

* Re: Expand/unexpand window possible?
@ 2009-03-12 14:38 ` Andy Stewart
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andy Stewart @ 2009-03-12 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lars Haugseth <njus@larshaugseth.com> writes:

> When typing C-x 1 in a multi-window frame, the current window will fill
> the entire frame, but all other windows will be deleted so that there will
> be no going back to the previous multi-window setup. Is there any way to
> achieve this expand/unexpand functionality without major elisp wizardry on
> my part?
(defvar toggle-one-window-window-configuration nil
  "The window configuration use for `toggle-one-window'.")

(defun toggle-one-window ()
  "Toggle between window layout and one window."
  (interactive)
  (if (one-window-p t)
      (if toggle-one-window-window-configuration
          (progn
            (set-window-configuration toggle-one-window-window-configuration)
            (setq toggle-one-window-window-configuration nil))
        (message "No other windows exist."))
    (setq toggle-one-window-window-configuration (current-window-configuration))
    (delete-other-windows)))

Above the code that i use.

  -- Andy

* Re: Expand/unexpand window possible?
@ 2009-03-12 15:44       ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-03-12 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 12, 4:07 pm, Lars Haugseth <n...@larshaugseth.com> wrote:
>> * p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:
>

>> Lovely! Much appreciated.
>
> Yes thats nice.
> But I had to change first to car.
> Did car become first some time?

Incredible!  first is not in basic emacs lisp, but in cl.el
You have to (require 'cl) to have it.
I have this require in my ~/.emacs so I'm oblivious to cl'isms...
I can't understand why RMS hasn't rewritten emacs in Common Lisp a
long time ago... (apart from him saying that he didn't like CL).

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Expand/unexpand window possible?
@ 2009-03-12 16:32         ` cmic
From: cmic @ 2009-03-12 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 12 mar, 14:23, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> c...@live.fr writes:

> >> Lovely! Much appreciated.
>
> > huh. Sorry, but [as a neophyt] how to use this snippet of code?
> > I did put it in .emacs, then open 2 windows, then M-x  temporarily-
> > expand
> > but what else ?
>
> As a newbie, you need to learn to be aware of the mini-buffer and the
> mode line.  These are the two lines at the bottom of the emacs frame.
> When  youtype M-x temporary-expand RET, a message appears in the
> mini-buffer tell you what to do then to revert to the initial window
> confguration. Namely, type C-], with the standard keymap.

OK. Merci. I already know a bit of Emacs. But the clue was farther in
the thread: car instead of fist (Argh!!)
Bonne continuation
--
michel marcon aka cmic

> Otherwise, window-configuration-to-register is nice too.
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Expand/unexpand window possible?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-12 17:42 ` Jim Burton
From: Jim Burton @ 2009-03-12 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lars Haugseth <njus@larshaugseth.com> writes:

> When typing C-x 1 in a multi-window frame, the current window will fill
> the entire frame, but all other windows will be deleted so that there will
> be no going back to the previous multi-window setup. Is there any way to
> achieve this expand/unexpand functionality without major elisp wizardry on
> my part?

Add

(winner-mode 1)

to .emacs, then C-c left and C-c right move around in the history of
window configurations.
--
Jim Burton
jim@sdf-eu.org

* Re: Expand/unexpand window possible?
@ 2009-03-12 18:25         ` Evans Winner
From: Evans Winner @ 2009-03-12 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

    I can't understand why RMS hasn't rewritten emacs in
    Common Lisp a long time ago... (apart from him saying
    that he didn't like CL).

That's usually enough of a reason for most people.

LiCE compiled for me on sbcl recently[1].  It also
presumably runs on Movitz.  It's not exactly production-
ready, and I'm not nearly enough of a cl hacker to work on
it, but it has the virtue (in my opinion) over other
attempts at a cl-based Emacs that it 1) runs in a tty, and
2) attempts an API for Emacs lisp, so that it could
eventually run (much of?) the existing Emacs lisp code.  It
includes ELIZA, which at a glance looks like it was simple
to port.  If LiCE ever gets to the point where it is even
reasonably usable I for one would be willing to do some of
the grunt work of trying to get Elisp libraries running on
it, assuming that ends up as straight-forward as it seems he
(Betts) intends it to be.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.emmett.ca/~sabetts/

* Re: Expand/unexpand window possible?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-12 21:35 ` Bernardo
From: Bernardo @ 2009-03-12 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> When typing C-x 1 in a multi-window frame, the current window will fill
> the entire frame, but all other windows will be deleted so that there will
> be no going back to the previous multi-window setup. Is there any way to
> achieve this expand/unexpand functionality without major elisp wizardry on
> my part?

another possibility is having (winner-mode 1) in your .emacs

C-c left and C-c right (the default binding) will cycle between previous
window arrangements

* Re: Expand/unexpand window possible?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-16 11:21 ` Lars Haugseth
From: Lars Haugseth @ 2009-03-16 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Lars Haugseth <njus@larshaugseth.com> wrote:

> When typing C-x 1 in a multi-window frame, the current window will fill
> the entire frame, but all other windows will be deleted so that there will
> be no going back to the previous multi-window setup. Is there any way to
> achieve this expand/unexpand functionality without major elisp wizardry on
> my part?

Whoa, lots of different suggestions here. I'll check them all out and see
which one best suits the way I work. Thanks to all who replied!