all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs for email
@ 2009-02-19 23:11 James Freer
From: James Freer @ 2009-02-19 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

I've been trying to set up emacs for reading mail. I'm a bit lost as
so far i haven't found whether to set up rc files like you do for mutt
[.procmailrc, .muttrc, mstmprc, .fetchmailrc] or what? Rmail or Gnus
is part of emacs i understood although one can replace with VM.

Be grateful for advice or links as i think i've been looking in the
wrong places - online manual seems v.brief and the emacs.pdf is a bit
thin.
thanks

james [uk]

* Re: emacs for email
       [not found] <mailman.1226.1235085115.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-02-20  1:58 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2009-02-20  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 23:11:45 +0000, James Freer <jessejazza@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to set up emacs for reading mail. I'm a bit lost as
> so far i haven't found whether to set up rc files like you do for mutt
> [.procmailrc, .muttrc, mstmprc, .fetchmailrc] or what? Rmail or Gnus
> is part of emacs i understood although one can replace with VM.

I personally prefer Gnus, but there are quite a few mail reading
applications build on top of Emacs.  You can see a nice list of them at
the EmacsWiki.  See <http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryMail> for a
list of mail-related pages.

Gnus, VM and Wanderlust are AFAIK the most popular mailers :)

* Re: emacs for email
@ 2009-02-20 12:15 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.1503.1235345493.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-02-20 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

James Freer <jessejazza@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi James,

> I've been trying to set up emacs for reading mail. I'm a bit lost as
> so far i haven't found whether to set up rc files like you do for mutt
> [.procmailrc, .muttrc, mstmprc, .fetchmailrc] or what? Rmail or Gnus
> is part of emacs i understood although one can replace with VM.

I'd recommend Gnus.

> Be grateful for advice or links as i think i've been looking in the
> wrong places - online manual seems v.brief and the emacs.pdf is a bit
> thin.

Emacs includes Gnus (and rmail) which has a very brief documentation in
the emacs manual, but the full gnus manual is included, too.  Open emacs
and do `C-h i m gnus RET'.

Bye,
Tassilo

@ 2009-02-20 20:46 ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-02-20 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Freer; +Cc: emacs

James Freer <jessejazza@googlemail.com> writes:

> I've been trying to set up emacs for reading mail. I'm a bit lost as
> so far i haven't found whether to set up rc files like you do for mutt
> [.procmailrc, .muttrc, mstmprc, .fetchmailrc] or what? Rmail or Gnus
> is part of emacs i understood although one can replace with VM.
>
> Be grateful for advice or links as i think i've been looking in the
> wrong places - online manual seems v.brief and the emacs.pdf is a bit
> thin.

I use gnus to read my email with emacs.

BUT, I wouldn't recommend it if you're not confident with news stuff
and you haven't a lot of time for investigating how to setup gnus.

I use to using mutt as well, and it's much more easier to setup and to
use than gnus.

The main advantage with gnus is its ability to read news groups.

For reading emails with emacs, there's also Mew but I haven't give it
a try.

--
Francis

* Re: emacs for email
@ 2009-02-21 20:01   ` James Freer
From: James Freer @ 2009-02-21 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: emacs

Thank you for your help and comments. Just to recap i had wanted to
use a text editor to speed up answering emails and considered Mutt and
Emacs. I had used Thunderbird for sometime and liked the app. A text
email client seemed the answer but i wasn't that impressed by Mutt.

However, i'm not as knowledgeable as some and setting up Mutt was ok
but still involved quite a bit of work. I got it all working and did
appreciate your help. Emacs i struggled with!

Yesterday i came across a Thunderbird addon Muttador (still beta stage
- vi editor) and today came across a non-mozilla TB addon called
Exteditor...
http://globs.org/articles.php?lng=en&pg=2
some v.clever person has developed an external editor addon instead of
the TB editor. It allows emacs, vi, joe, gedit or whatever to compose
emails.

Should be of interest to anyone who wants to say goodbye to the mouse
while editing emails.

james

2009/2/20 Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com>:
> James Freer <jessejazza@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> I've been trying to set up emacs for reading mail. I'm a bit lost as
>> so far i haven't found whether to set up rc files like you do for mutt
>> [.procmailrc, .muttrc, mstmprc, .fetchmailrc] or what? Rmail or Gnus
>> is part of emacs i understood although one can replace with VM.
>>
>> Be grateful for advice or links as i think i've been looking in the
>> wrong places - online manual seems v.brief and the emacs.pdf is a bit
>> thin.
>
> I use gnus to read my email with emacs.
>
> BUT, I wouldn't recommend it if you're not confident with news stuff
> and you haven't a lot of time for investigating how to setup gnus.
>
> I use to using mutt as well, and it's much more easier to setup and to
> use than gnus.
>
> The main advantage with gnus is its ability to read news groups.
>
> For reading emails with emacs, there's also Mew but I haven't give it
> a try.
>
> --
> Francis

* Re: emacs for email
@ 2009-02-22 17:04 ` Byung-Hee HWANG
       [not found] ` <mailman.1503.1235345493.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2009-02-22 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Freer; +Cc: emacs

James Freer wrote:
> I've been trying to set up emacs for reading mail. I'm a bit lost as
> so far i haven't found whether to set up rc files like you do for mutt
> [.procmailrc, .muttrc, mstmprc, .fetchmailrc] or what? Rmail or Gnus
> is part of emacs i understood although one can replace with VM.
>
> Be grateful for advice or links as i think i've been looking in the
> wrong places - online manual seems v.brief and the emacs.pdf is a bit
> thin.
> thanks
>
> james [uk]

That's good with Gnus. But Gnus does not support input/output of UTF-8
as like CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) yet..;;

byunghee

* Re: emacs for email
       [not found] ` <mailman.1503.1235345493.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-02-23  1:26   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-02-23  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> writes:
> That's good with Gnus. But Gnus does not support input/output of UTF-8
> as like CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) yet..;;

Huh?  Gnus works extremely well with CJK text...

-Miles

--
I'd rather be consing.

* Re: emacs for email
       [not found] ` <mailman.1503.1235345493.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-02-24  1:29   ` emacsnews
From: emacsnews @ 2009-02-24  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> writes:

> That's good with Gnus. But Gnus does not support input/output of UTF-8
> as like CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) yet..;;
>
> byunghee

그것은 잘못된 것입니다.

--
aleblanc

* Re: emacs for email
@ 2009-02-24  7:50     ` James Freer
From: James Freer @ 2009-02-24  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

As i've now learnt why pay - Mozex is a firefox addon that allows you
to use an editor of your choice for responding to email. CJK must be
brilliant for $49 - as far as i'm concerned and i'd doubt that it is
better than Thunderbird. I don't know of an email client that archives
mail for you through an addon ImportExportTools.

Since posting i've found my own answer to some extent. Emacs is darn't
heavy for editing i have to say.

james

2009/2/23 Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org>:
> Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> writes:
>> That's good with Gnus. But Gnus does not support input/output of UTF-8
>> as like CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) yet..;;
>
> Huh?  Gnus works extremely well with CJK text...
>
> -Miles
>
> --
> I'd rather be consing.

* Re: emacs for email
       [not found] ` <mailman.1503.1235345493.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-02-24  7:54   ` poppyer
From: poppyer @ 2009-02-24  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

: James Freer wrote:
:> I've been trying to set up emacs for reading mail. I'm a bit lost as
:> so far i haven't found whether to set up rc files like you do for mutt
:> [.procmailrc, .muttrc, mstmprc, .fetchmailrc] or what? Rmail or Gnus
:> is part of emacs i understood although one can replace with VM.
:>
:
: That's good with Gnus. But Gnus does not support input/output of UTF-8
: as like CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) yet..;;
:
: byunghee

That is wrong information. GNUS perfectly support utf-8 and CJK.

* Re: emacs for email
@ 2009-02-25  3:15     ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2009-02-25  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacsnews; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

emacsnews@aleblanc.cotse.net wrote:
> Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> writes:
>
>> That's good with Gnus. But Gnus does not support input/output of UTF-8
>> as like CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) yet..;;
>>
>> byunghee
>>
> 그것은 잘못된 것입니다.

As soon as possible, i'll go to there Gnus world!

byunghee

* Re: emacs for email
@ 2009-02-25  7:45       ` Yuval Hager
From: Yuval Hager @ 2009-02-25  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> writes:

> emacsnews@aleblanc.cotse.net wrote:
>> Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> writes:
>>
>>> That's good with Gnus. But Gnus does not support input/output of
>>> UTF-8
>>> as like CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) yet..;;
>>>
>>> byunghee
>>>
>> 그것은 잘못된 것입니다.
>>

> As soon as possible, i'll go to there Gnus world!

My real issue to be a full-Gnus user is Bidi. As some of my emails are
written right-to-left..

--y

* Re: emacs for email
@ 2009-02-25 11:58 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2009-02-25 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Byung-Hee HWANG; +Cc: emacsnews, help-gnu-emacs

   emacsnews@aleblanc.cotse.net wrote:
   > Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> writes:
   >
   >> That's good with Gnus. But Gnus does not support input/output of UTF-8
   >> as like CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) yet..;;
   >>
   >> byunghee
   >>
   >             .

   As soon as possible, i'll go to there Gnus world!

It also works with rmail :)

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org