all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Code Turns to Gibberish
@ 2009-02-16 16:25 rebirf
From: rebirf @ 2009-02-16 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi I've been using emacs for c++ and c. the problem I have is that
sometimes my code will just turn into random characters. If I try to
open the file in a text editor it just won't open but if I open it in
emacs it displays a bunch of @'s and ^, says "init" a lot. before it
would happen when I saved the program, closed it, and tried to reopen.
This time it happened when I was in the middle of writing the
code..any help?

Thanks.

* Re: Code Turns to Gibberish
@ 2009-02-16 18:06 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-02-16 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rebirf@gmail.com writes:

> Hi I've been using emacs for c++ and c. the problem I have is that
> sometimes my code will just turn into random characters. If I try to
> open the file in a text editor it just won't open but if I open it in
> emacs it displays a bunch of @'s and ^, says "init" a lot. before it
> would happen when I saved the program, closed it, and tried to reopen.
> This time it happened when I was in the middle of writing the
> code..any help?

I would suspect a bad computer, at least a bad RAM.
Try to change the computer or at least the RAM.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Code Turns to Gibberish
@ 2009-02-16 18:10 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.930.1234836718.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-02-16 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rebirf; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.02.2009 um 17:25 schrieb rebirf:

> any help?

In dired-mode you could press y on such a file or use the file
command on the command to determine the kind of such a file ...

It could also help, *before* the failure happened, to launch GNU
Emacs with --no-init-file. This could avoid that your customisation
destroys your files. (I don't know of any process that can do what
you describe automatically or by default.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

One cannot live by television, video games, top ten CDs, and dumb
movies alone.
				– Amiri Baraka, 1999

* Re: Code Turns to Gibberish
@ 2009-02-16 20:58 grischka
From: grischka @ 2009-02-16 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pjb; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, rebirf

> > Hi I've been using emacs for c++ and c. the problem I have is that
> > sometimes my code will just turn into random characters. If I try to
> > open the file in a text editor it just won't open but if I open it in
> > emacs it displays a bunch of @'s and ^, says "init" a lot. before it
> > would happen when I saved the program, closed it, and tried to reopen.
> > This time it happened when I was in the middle of writing the
> > code..any help?
>
> I would suspect a bad computer, at least a bad RAM.
> Try to change the computer or at least the RAM.

It could be that but then again such computer would (not necessarily but
very likely) show other severe symptoms, like random freezes or crashes.
If that is not the case then it's more likely emacs itself corrupting
it's own memory contents.

--- grischka

* Re: Code Turns to Gibberish
@ 2009-02-17  2:11 ` Óscar Fuentes
       [not found] ` <mailman.930.1234836718.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2009-02-17  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rebirf@gmail.com writes:

> Hi I've been using emacs for c++ and c. the problem I have is that
> sometimes my code will just turn into random characters. If I try to
> open the file in a text editor it just won't open but if I open it in
> emacs it displays a bunch of @'s and ^, says "init" a lot. before it
> would happen when I saved the program, closed it, and tried to reopen.
> This time it happened when I was in the middle of writing the
> code..any help?

What Emacs version are you using? Which platform?

I've experienced that kind of problems months ago with Emacs CVS on
Windows.

--
Oscar

* Re: Code Turns to Gibberish
       [not found] ` <mailman.930.1234836718.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-02-17 12:26   ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-02-17 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 17, 10:11 am, Óscar Fuentes <o...@wanadoo.es> wrote:

> What Emacs version are you using? Which platform?
>
> I've experienced that kind of problems months ago with Emacs CVS on
> Windows.

In that case though, it was just a font problem affecting display
within Emacs. From the sounds of the OP's description, the files
themselves are being corrupted.