FWIW: Attached are screenshots showing the Search menu that I use, in menu-bar+.el. The only thing in the screenshots that isn't vanilla is submenu Search > Icicles. The rest is all vanilla. There are 5 submenus (besides Icicles). You can see how I deal with forward & backward, with with incremental & nonincremental, and with repeated nonincremental (forward & backward). I think it's pretty clear for users. (I used to have nonincremental items at top level, but moved them to a submenu because their use is less common now. Admittedly, if someone uses this a lot then accessing via submenu is less efficient.) __________ Search Incremental Search > Nonincremental Search > Replace > Xref > Tags > __________ Files Regexp (`grep')... This Buffer Regexp... Buffers Regexp... Buffers Regexp for Bufname Regexp... __________ The last 3 items are for `occur', `multi-occur', and `multi-occur-in-matching-buffers'.