all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: How do I find out what minor modes are in effect?
@ 2012-04-12 11:49 Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-04-12 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Yesterday I asked:

> How do I find out what minor modes are in effect?
> And in what order they were invoked?

And I got a lot of good help. Thank you, everyone.

The practical, first-time implementation is in place and works.
Now it's time to write the (save-mode) macro.
(Which means I suddenly have to get better at writing macros. Darn!)

,Douglas
Douglas Lewan
Shubert Ticketing
(201) 489-8600 ext 224

[parent not found: <mailman.1140.1334231241.20052.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
[parent not found: <mailman.1053.1334152093.20052.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* How do I find out what minor modes are in effect?
@ 2012-04-11 13:49 Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-04-11 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I'm writing a function that needs to change the major mode to do its stuff properly.
That can turn off minor modes too.
The obvious polite thing to do is turn them all back on when I'm done.

Resetting the major mode is easy:
(defun vertical-text (text)
  (let ((mode-to-restore major-mode)
    (picture-mode)
    (funcall mode-to-restore)))

How do I find out what minor modes are in effect?
And in what order they were invoked?
(They can stomp on each other and
I'd rather not introduce bugs
that are different from what the user already expects.

(Ultimately, I think this might be generally useful,
so a function like (save-mode) might emerge.)

,Douglas
Douglas Lewan
Shubert Ticketing
(201) 489-8600 ext 224