all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Killing/hiding functions
       [not found] <slrnjbsiks.1bk.grahn+nntp@frailea.sa.invalid>
@ 2011-11-13 18:58 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2011-11-13 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw

Hello Jorgen,

I think it is generally no good idea to just "forget" commands as you
suggest.  You would probably make Emacs non-functional.

>   ff-find-other-file
>   ff-find-related-file

Did you know that you can use partial completions, like that:

   M-x ff-f-o TAB RET

(You can similarly hit SPC instead of -).

You can also define your own aliases for commands you often use, but
don't want to bind to a key sequence, like

   (defalias 'fffo 'ff-find-other-file)

> And I'd like to forget visible-mode to have easier access to
> visit-tags-table.

Dunno about that, sorry.

Regards,

Michael.

@ 2012-03-29 13:23 ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-03-29 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

The most common way of disabling a function is to, well, disable it:

    (put 'ff-find-other-file 'disabled t)

This is unpleasant in the following way.
The function still exists and if you try to execute it you will get an error window.
(If you really never try to execute it, then that's not really unpleasant.)

To remove a function you can do this:

    (unintern 'ff-find-other-file)

This is dangerous.
1. The function no longer exists, so anything that uses it will probably not work any more.
2. Any variable of the same name no longer exists either.

,Douglas