all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Docstring of `window-scroll-functions'
@ 2008-10-28 17:57 Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2008-10-28 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Martin Rudalics; +Cc: Emacs Devel

The docstring for `set-window-buffer' mentions that it runs
`window-scroll-functions', but says nothing about
`window-configuration-change-hook', which is weird. Perhaps that's
because the programmer can reasonably expect for `set-window-buffer'
to run the window configuration change hook, but not
`window-scroll-functions'?

In any case, I'd suggest at least adding wording to
window-scroll-function's docstring making clear that it can be run
from `set-window-buffer', because at it stands now, it would be a bit
unexpected if the programmer happens to read just the variable's doc
and not the function's:

  window-scroll-functions is a variable defined in `C source code'.
  Its value is nil

  Documentation:
  List of functions to call before redisplaying a window with scrolling.
  Each function is called with two arguments, the window
  and its new display-start position.  Note that the value of `window-end'
  is not valid when these functions are called.

`set-window-buffer' has no apparent relation with scrolling.

  Juanma

* Re: Docstring of `window-scroll-functions'
@ 2008-10-28 19:04 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2008-10-28 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: Emacs Devel

 > The docstring for `set-window-buffer' mentions that it runs
 > `window-scroll-functions', but says nothing about
 > `window-configuration-change-hook', which is weird.

Indeed.  You get the impression as if the latter is not run.

 > In any case, I'd suggest at least adding wording to
 > window-scroll-function's docstring making clear that it can be run
 > from `set-window-buffer', because at it stands now, it would be a bit
 > unexpected if the programmer happens to read just the variable's doc
 > and not the function's:

I'll try to update the involved doc-strings.

Thanks, martin