all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Connect emacsclient to a daemon running remotely.
@ 2013-04-24 13:51 E Sabof
       [not found] ` <mailman.24561.1366822218.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: E Sabof @ 2013-04-24 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I was thinking about a setup, where I'd have a linux VM with emacs daemon
running inside it, and have emacsclient running on windows connect to it in
some way.

Is this possible, and if yes, are there any known limitations?

Evgeni

* Re: Connect emacsclient to a daemon running remotely.
@ 2013-04-24 16:50 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.24561.1366822218.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-04-24 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 14:51:41 +0100
> From: E Sabof <esabof@gmail.com>
>
> I was thinking about a setup, where I'd have a linux VM with emacs daemon
> running inside it, and have emacsclient running on windows connect to it in
> some way.
>
> Is this possible

I don't think so: Emacs running on Unix or GNU/Linux systems doesn't
know how to create a frame on Windows.

I suggest to use a terminal emulator instead, e.g. PuTTY, then ytou
can have TTY frames on Windows.  Another possibility is to install an
X server on Windows (e.g., X-ming), in which case you can have GUI
frames on Windows.

@ 2013-04-24 17:34   ` esabof
From: esabof @ 2013-04-24 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:50:09 PM UTC+1, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 14:51:41 +0100
>
> > I was thinking about a setup, where I'd have a linux VM with emacs daemon
>
> > running inside it, and have emacsclient running on windows connect to it in
>
> > some way.
>

> > Is this possible
>

> I don't think so: Emacs running on Unix or GNU/Linux systems doesn't
>
> know how to create a frame on Windows.

So basically all emacslient does is send a "create frame" command to the daemon?

> I suggest to use a terminal emulator instead, e.g. PuTTY, then ytou
>
> can have TTY frames on Windows.  Another possibility is to install an
>
> X server on Windows (e.g., X-ming), in which case you can have GUI
>
> frames on Windows.

I might end up running an emacs instance in each enviroment, and send forms to be evaled through ssh.

* Re: Connect emacsclient to a daemon running remotely.
@ 2013-04-24 19:21     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-04-24 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:34:30 -0700 (PDT)
> From: esabof@gmail.com
>
> So basically all emacslient does is send a "create frame" command to the daemon?

Yes.  And server.el interprets that command and acts upon it.