all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Line wrapping...
@ 2002-11-27  5:42 alan
From: alan @ 2002-11-27  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've added the following line to my .emacs file to make long lines wrap.

(set-default 'truncate-lines nil)

It works just fine.  However, when I do C-x 3 to vertically split the
current buffer into 2 buffers, both of the buffers stop doing line wrapping
and the lines end in a $ to signify overflow.

How can I fix this.

Thanks

alan

* Re: Line wrapping...
@ 2002-11-27 19:01 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2002-11-27 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3XYE9.77$vl1.8506719@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
alan <alanbrown@pacbell.net> wrote:
>I've added the following line to my .emacs file to make long lines wrap.
>
>(set-default 'truncate-lines nil)
>
>It works just fine.  However, when I do C-x 3 to vertically split the
>current buffer into 2 buffers, both of the buffers stop doing line wrapping
>and the lines end in a $ to signify overflow.
>
>How can I fix this.

RTFM.  From the documentation of truncate-line:

   Note that this is overridden by the variable
   `truncate-partial-width-windows' if that variable is non-nil
   and this buffer is not full-frame width.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA

* Re: Line wrapping...
@ 2002-11-27 19:09 ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2002-11-27 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

"alan" <alanbrown@pacbell.net> writes:

> It works just fine.  However, when I do C-x 3 to vertically split
> the current buffer into 2 buffers, both of the buffers stop doing
> line wrapping and the lines end in a $ to signify overflow.

If you read the documentation for truncate-lines, you will find the
following paragraph:

    Note that this is overridden by the variable
    `truncate-partial-width-windows' if that variable is non-nil
    and this buffer is not full-frame width.

If that is not good enough -- perhaps you did not realize that
splitting with C-x 3 results in "buffers not full-frame width" -- then
I hope you will file a bug report.  Just use M-x report-emacs-bug and
explain the problem.  Bugs in the documentation are just that: Bugs.
And we need people to spot these, too.  :)

Alex.

* Line wrapping
@ 2008-09-04 20:28 denebet
       [not found] ` <mailman.18480.1220577821.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: denebet @ 2008-09-04 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello all,

How can I still have line wrapping (the text goes to the next line with
small return arrow when it is to long) when windows are plit in vertically
C-X-3 ?
I did quite a little googling like
<http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/emacs/emacs_89.html> but found no way.

TIA

Alain

* Re: Line wrapping
@ 2008-09-05  1:23 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.18480.1220577821.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-09-05  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

,----[ C-h v truncate-partial-width-windows RET ]

`----

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: Line wrapping
       [not found] ` <mailman.18480.1220577821.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-09-05 17:39   ` denebet
From: denebet @ 2008-09-05 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> ,----[ C-h v truncate-partial-width-windows RET ]
> | truncate-partial-width-windows is a variable defined in `C source code'.
> | Its value is t
> |

> | Documentation:
> | *Non-nil means truncate lines in all windows less than full frame wide.
> |
> | You can customize this variable.

Great !

Many  thanks

Alain

* line wrapping
@ 2009-11-20  9:41 Krzysztof Poc
From: Krzysztof Poc @ 2009-11-20  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello
I'm using auto-fill-mode to automatically wrap a line when writing a
text.
Unfortunatelly it has some inconvenient features. It does not merge
the next
line with the current in case the current line has got long enough
blank
space.

All in all, do you know any other tool that is more advanced.
I expect this tool to insert a '\n' when breaking a lines at the
predefined
column just like auto-fill-mode does.

thanks for help

* Re: line wrapping
@ 2009-11-20 15:41 ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2009-11-20 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof Poc; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 4:41 AM, Krzysztof Poc <fajfusio@wp.pl> wrote:
> Hello
> I'm using auto-fill-mode to automatically wrap a line when writing a
> text.
> Unfortunatelly it has some inconvenient features. It does not merge
> the next
> line with the current in case the current line has got long enough
> blank
> space.
>
> All in all, do you know any other tool that is more advanced.
> I expect this tool to insert a '\n' when breaking a lines at the
> predefined
> column just like auto-fill-mode does.
>
> thanks for help

Have you tried using long-lines mode?  I used to use auto-fill but I
didn't like how it interoperated with other programs that I used.  I
prefer text to just be all one line unless I explicitly put a line
break in.  Of course, with longlines you can still turn it off briefly
and fill the text and then turn it back on if you want literal line
breaks when you're done.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://burningones.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ - Spend less time on e-mail

* Re: line wrapping
@ 2009-11-21  2:32   ` Marcel Korpel
From: Marcel Korpel @ 2009-11-21  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

2009/11/20 Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com>:
> Have you tried using long-lines mode?

Or, starting from Emacs 23, use the new Visual Line Mode, e.g. in .emacs:

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'visual-line-mode)

See also http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/VisualLineMode

Regards,
Marcel