all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Vinicius Jose Latorre <viniciusjl@ig.com.br>
To: friedel@nomaden.org
Cc: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>, 1138@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com
Subject: bug#1138: 23.0.60; ps-print.el error with unusual page sizes
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 00:05:40 -0200	[thread overview]

Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Vinicius Jose Latorre schrieb:
>
>> Ok, it seems ok to add these two new entries into
>> ps-page-dimensions-database.
>>

> Well, it's customisable, so I customised it according to my paper size
> :)

:)

> Would there be another way to print a small page from emacs?
>

>> Well, the right thing to do is to add new entries into ps-n-up-database,
>> like:
>>

>> (defconst ps-n-up-database
>>   '(......
>>    (shipping
>>     (100 nil 1  1  0))
>>    (topcoated
>>     (100 nil 1  1  0)))
>> ...)
>>

> Label printers support lots of unusual small paper sizes.
>
> The Seiko SLP-440 I'm using has
>
> 8mmSpine 35mmSlide AddressLarge AddressSmall Diskette EuroFolderNarrow
> EuroFolderWide EuroNameBadge FileFolder Jewelry MediaBadge
> MultiPurpose Shipping VHSFace VHSSpine ZipDisk CutHanging13
> CutHanging15 EuroFileFolder RetailLabel EuroNameBadgeLarge
> TopCoatedPaper Custom
>
> And Custom allows me to specify completely arbitrary values.
>
> (If you're interested in the exact dimensions for all of those, I can
> quote them from the ppd, but:)

Well, I think it could be a good thing to have these dimensions, if you
can, please, send them back to me.

> Does it really make sense to add all those unusual sizes to
> ps-n-up-database, especially since it's not configurable, but
> ps-page-dimensions-database is?

Hmmm, as you said (below), it does not make sense to have n-up > 1 for
these sizes, so your patch seems suitable to deal with this situation
without having to add entries into ps-n-up-database.

>> Please, try the change above and let me know the results.
>>

> I can try this later at home, but I don't really like the approach
> here. I think it doesn't scale. When I go and buy differently sized
> labels, I need to touch ps-n-up-database again, adding the same value
> '(100 nil 1 1 0).
>

>> Does it make sense to have ps-n-up-printing > 1 for these 2 new entries??
>>

> Not really. Most content needs to be specially sized to even fit on
> one page. We're talking about 5.4mm x 150mm, i.e. a long receipt and
> 5.4mm x 100mm, a large address label here.
>

>> ps-print does not deal with paper sizes which only can have 1 n-up, but
>> it's possible to change this if this is the case.
>>

> As a user, I'd prefer it if a sane default for 1 n-up would be chosen
> if the page size is smaller than, say, A6.

Ok, it seems that your patch does this.