all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using "apps"-key as a second Meta-key
@ 2008-10-06 15:00 Hans-Christian Mick
From: Hans-Christian Mick @ 2008-10-06 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I'd like to have the "apps"-key as another Meta-key.

I've tried this:

(global-set-key [apps] 'Meta)

...But of course it didn't work. I've also tried the same with "\M"
or  "Esc" instead of "Meta", but Emacs always  tells me, the apps-
definition is void...

Has the Meta-key a special command name? Or is there a totally
different way to get this result?

I hope that's not a complete newbie question, but I didn't find
anything on the internet or the news archive about it..

Thanks in advance!

* Re: Using "apps"-key as a second Meta-key
@ 2008-10-06 15:05 ` Joost Diepenmaat
From: Joost Diepenmaat @ 2008-10-06 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hans-Christian Mick <hanschristianmick@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to have the "apps"-key as another Meta-key.
>
> I've tried this:
>
> (global-set-key [apps] 'Meta)
>
> ...But of course it didn't work. I've also tried the same with "\M"
> or  "Esc" instead of "Meta", but Emacs always  tells me, the apps-
> definition is void...
>
> Has the Meta-key a special command name? Or is there a totally
> different way to get this result?
>
> I hope that's not a complete newbie question, but I didn't find
> anything on the internet or the news archive about it..
>
> Thanks in advance!

Which OS are you running? I've never seen an "apps" key.

Anyway: this may or may not help:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/MetaKeyProblems

* Re: Using "apps"-key as a second Meta-key
@ 2008-10-06 15:53   ` Hans-Christian Mick
From: Hans-Christian Mick @ 2008-10-06 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Joost,

thanks a lot for the link, but it didn't help I'm afraid.

The apps-key is the key in between the "Alt-GR"-key and the "CTRL"-key
on the right side of the space-key. Normally it has the same function
as a right mouse click I think, but it is undefined in Emacs.

My normal Meta-key is "Alt" on the left side and it works well, but
I'd like to have a second one on the right side. And the apps-key
seems just right for this purpose.

On the internet I've found a way to give it another function by doing
this:

(global-set-key [apps] 'preview-document)

Is there a way to do the same thing, but with the Meta key instead of
the command "preview-document"?

By the way: I'm running Windows Vista... And I am not very proud of
it :)

* Re: Using "apps"-key as a second Meta-key
@ 2008-10-06 15:55 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-10-06 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans-Christian Mick; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hans-Christian Mick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to have the "apps"-key as another Meta-key.
>
> I've tried this:
>
> (global-set-key [apps] 'Meta)
>
> ...But of course it didn't work. I've also tried the same with "\M"
> or  "Esc" instead of "Meta", but Emacs always  tells me, the apps-
> definition is void...
>
> Has the Meta-key a special command name? Or is there a totally
> different way to get this result?

  (global-set-key [apps] esc-map)

@ 2008-10-07  3:23 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2008-10-07  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hans-Christian Mick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to have the "apps"-key as another Meta-key.
>
> I've tried this:
>
> (global-set-key [apps] 'Meta)
>
> ...But of course it didn't work. I've also tried the same with "\M"
> or  "Esc" instead of "Meta", but Emacs always  tells me, the apps-
> definition is void...
>
> Has the Meta-key a special command name? Or is there a totally
> different way to get this result?
>
> I hope that's not a complete newbie question, but I didn't find
> anything on the internet or the news archive about it..
>
> Thanks in advance!

This works for me and Xah:

(setq w32-pass-lwindow-to-system nil
       w32-pass-rwindow-to-system nil
       w32-pass-apps-to-system    nil
       w32-lwindow-modifier       'super   ;; Left Windows
       w32-rwindow-modifier       'super   ;; Right Windows
       w32-apps-modifier          'hyper)  ;; App-Menu (key to right of
Right Windows)

But it works even better if you modify the registry with KeyTweak* to
effect the bottom row layout:

Win Alt Ctl Spacebar Ctl Alt Win Apps

or

Super Meta Ctl Spacebar Ctl Meta Super Hyper

* Provides (in part) about the same functionality in MS Os as Xmodmap in
Gnu-Linux.

Ed

* Re: Using "apps"-key as a second Meta-key
@ 2008-10-07  9:45   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-10-07  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> This works for me and Xah:
>
> (setq w32-pass-lwindow-to-system nil
>       w32-pass-rwindow-to-system nil

Those two does not work reliably and for all key combinations.