all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fw: Problem with eshell
@ 2008-10-07  7:24 Adolfo De Unanue
From: Adolfo De Unanue @ 2008-10-07  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart,

I did not download to a new directory, but I always do cvs up, and
everything, and this is the first time I have problems :(

I followed the build instructions, even I tried mak distclean, make
maintainer-clean, etc, etc i.e.

Before the tries, I ran all this tries with a brand new -and empty, of
course- .emacs

first try:

cvs up
./configure
make
sudo make install

(problems with eshell: Invalid assertion.... Squares instead some words
in all the files)

second try:
cvs up
make distclean
./configure
make
sudo make install

(same)

third try:
cvs up
make maintainer-clean
./configure
make bootstrap
sudo make install

(now eshell throes a segmentation fault)

running out of options...

:(

Adolfo

El Mon, 06 Oct 2008 17:51:11 +0200
"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> escribió:

> Did you download to a new directory? Did you follow the build
> instructions?
>
> Adolfo De Unanue wrote:
> > Hi Pete,
> >
> > I downloaded -again- the version from cvs.
> > Same error :(
> >
> > Adolfo
> >

> > El Mon, 6 Oct 2008 11:48:39 +0200
> > Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> escribió:

> >> Update from CVS. The code from last weekend works fine.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Greetings
> >>
> >>    Pete
> >>
> >> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
> >> temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
> >> 		-Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of
> >> Pennsylvania.

* Re: Fw: Problem with eshell
@ 2008-10-07  9:42 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-10-07  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adolfo De Unanue; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Adolfo De Unanue wrote:
> Lennart,
>
> I did not download to a new directory, but I always do cvs up, and
> everything, and this is the first time I have problems :(
>
> I followed the build instructions, even I tried mak distclean, make
> maintainer-clean, etc, etc i.e.
>
> Before the tries, I ran all this tries with a brand new -and empty, of
> course- .emacs
>
> first try:
>
> cvs up
> ./configure
> make
> sudo make install
>
> (problems with eshell: Invalid assertion.... Squares instead some words
> in all the files)
>
> second try:
> cvs up
> make distclean
> ./configure
> make
> sudo make install
>
> (same)
>
> third try:
> cvs up
> make maintainer-clean
> ./configure
> make bootstrap
> sudo make install
>
> (now eshell throes a segmentation fault)
>

> running out of options...
>
> :(

Download to a new directory.

> Adolfo
>

> El Mon, 06 Oct 2008 17:51:11 +0200
> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> escribió:
>
>> Did you download to a new directory? Did you follow the build
>> instructions?
>>
>> Adolfo De Unanue wrote:
>>> Hi Pete,
>>>
>>> I downloaded -again- the version from cvs.
>>> Same error :(
>>>
>>> Adolfo

* Re: Problem with eshell
@ 2008-10-07 15:45   ` Adolfo De Unanue
From: Adolfo De Unanue @ 2008-10-07 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart,

I followed your advice (i.e. I downloaded emacs to a new directory) and
now eshell works fine, but the font missing-problems is there:

If i do a copy-paste I see this:

Welcome to the Emacs shell

~/software/emacs $ ls
1            admin          etc         lwlib           nt
BUGS         autogen.sh     gc          m4              oldXMenu
COPYING      config.bat     info        mac             site-lisp
CVS          config.guess   install-sh  make-dist       src
ChangeLog    config.log     leim        man             test
INSTALL      config.status  lib-src     mkinstalldirs   update-subdirs
INSTALL.CVS  config.sub     lisp        move-if-change  vms
Makefile     configure      lispintro   msdos           vpath.sed
Makefile.in  configure.in   lispref     nextstep
README       doc            lock        notes
~/software/emacs $

But in the emacs window I just see some letters and the rest is in
squares. :(

Any *new* suggestions?

PS. In emacs, but in text mode (i.e. executing it inside a linuz
terminal) this doesn't happen, of course

Adolfo

El Tue, 07 Oct 2008 11:42:11 +0200

* Re: Problem with eshell
@ 2008-10-07 16:00     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-10-07 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adolfo De Unanue; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Adolfo De Unanue wrote:
> Lennart,
>
> I followed your advice (i.e. I downloaded emacs to a new directory) and
> now eshell works fine,

Congratulations.

> but the font missing-problems is there:
>

> If i do a copy-paste I see this:
>
> Welcome to the Emacs shell
>
> ~/software/emacs $ ls
> 1            admin          etc         lwlib           nt
> BUGS         autogen.sh     gc          m4              oldXMenu
> COPYING      config.bat     info        mac             site-lisp
> CVS          config.guess   install-sh  make-dist       src
> ChangeLog    config.log     leim        man             test
> INSTALL      config.status  lib-src     mkinstalldirs   update-subdirs
> INSTALL.CVS  config.sub     lisp        move-if-change  vms
> Makefile     configure      lispintro   msdos           vpath.sed
> Makefile.in  configure.in   lispref     nextstep
> README       doc            lock        notes
> ~/software/emacs $
>

> But in the emacs window I just see some letters and the rest is in
> squares. :(
>
> Any *new* suggestions?

Yes, please explain this a bit better. Exactly what are you doing and
what fails?

> PS. In emacs, but in text mode (i.e. executing it inside a linuz
> terminal) this doesn't happen, of course
>

> Adolfo

* emacsclient --alternate-editor='emacs -nw' ?
@ 2008-10-07 16:44       ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2008-10-07 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've trying to get "emacs -nw" working as an alternate editor for
emacsclient. No success so far, for example:

    $ export EDITOR="emacsclient --alternate-editor='emacs -nw'" crontab -e
    emacsclient: connect: Connection refused
    emacsclient: error executing alternate editor "emacs -nw"
    crontab: "emacsclient --alternate-editor='emacs -nw'" exited with status 1

The same with this:

    $ export EDITOR=emacsclient
    $ export ALTERNATE_EDITOR="emacs -nw"

It seems that there can't be spaces in the name of the alternate editor,
just a single command name. Does anybody know a work-around?

* Re: Problem with eshell
@ 2008-10-07 17:04       ` Adolfo De Unanue
From: Adolfo De Unanue @ 2008-10-07 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Sorry for my previous post, I just noted the lack of clarity on it.
Well, now eshell is working right (i.e. it not crashes emacs). But the
problem was in the display of the fonts. I don't know why, but emacs
(As I told before, I am using GNU/Emacs 23 cvs version of today in a
Debian Box) is not diplaying the fonts correctly (but before the cvs
up some days ago it did). So this is the problem, and I dont know why
it happen.
I partially solved this problem changing the font to Courier-10, with
all the other letters (BitStream, DejaVu, Monospace) simply doesn't
work. (i.e. I got squares instaead of letters, but strangely enuff,
only in some letters).
I hope that this is a little clearlier than the past post :)

Thanks in advance

Adolfo

On 10/7/08, Lennart Borgman (gmail) <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Adolfo De Unanue wrote:
>> Lennart,
>>
>> I followed your advice (i.e. I downloaded emacs to a new directory) and
>> now eshell works fine,
>
> Congratulations.
>
>> but the font missing-problems is there:
>>

>> If i do a copy-paste I see this:
>>
>> Welcome to the Emacs shell
>>
>> ~/software/emacs $ ls
>> 1            admin          etc         lwlib           nt
>> BUGS         autogen.sh     gc          m4              oldXMenu
>> COPYING      config.bat     info        mac             site-lisp
>> CVS          config.guess   install-sh  make-dist       src
>> ChangeLog    config.log     leim        man             test
>> INSTALL      config.status  lib-src     mkinstalldirs   update-subdirs
>> INSTALL.CVS  config.sub     lisp        move-if-change  vms
>> Makefile     configure      lispintro   msdos           vpath.sed
>> Makefile.in  configure.in   lispref     nextstep
>> README       doc            lock        notes
>> ~/software/emacs $
>>

>> But in the emacs window I just see some letters and the rest is in
>> squares. :(
>>
>> Any *new* suggestions?
>
> Yes, please explain this a bit better. Exactly what are you doing and
> what fails?
>
>> PS. In emacs, but in text mode (i.e. executing it inside a linuz
>> terminal) this doesn't happen, of course
>>

>> Adolfo

* Re: Problem with eshell
@ 2008-10-07 19:36         ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-10-07 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adolfo De Unanue; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Adolfo

Coming so far it looks like you have found a bug. Please report this using

  M-x report-emacs-bug

Follow the instructions there and try to tell how to show this bug
starting with

  emacs -Q

Note: It is important that you who found the bug report it because those
who want to fix the bug may need to contact you (now or later if some
more problems connected to this surfaces).

* Re: Problem with eshell
@ 2008-10-07 20:40           ` Adolfo De Unanue
From: Adolfo De Unanue @ 2008-10-07 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: help-gnu-emacs