all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help on gnus!
@ 2008-09-15  7:59 Magicloud Magiclouds
From: Magicloud Magiclouds @ 2008-09-15  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am trying to use gnus to read mails. My mails are stored as maildir,
by fetchmail + procmail.
While I configured gnus, and started it. It moved all my mail from
~/Mail/new to a ~/Mail and ~Mail/mail/misc, and splited them into more
files.
Please, help me. How to undo this thing?

* Re: Help on gnus!
       [not found] <mailman.19256.1221465559.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-09-15 14:05 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-09-15 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 15:59:03 +0800 Magicloud Magiclouds <magicloud.magiclouds@gmail.com> wrote:

MM> I am trying to use gnus to read mails. My mails are stored as maildir,
MM> by fetchmail + procmail.
MM> While I configured gnus, and started it. It moved all my mail from
MM> ~/Mail/new to a ~/Mail and ~Mail/mail/misc, and splited them into more
MM> files.
MM> Please, help me. How to undo this thing?

By the way, there is a Gnus-specific newsgroup (gnu.emacs.gnus).

You can undo it by moving all the files corresponding to the moved
messages.  Gnus doesn't have a built-in way to move things back into the
"new" Maildir directory.

You may be able to stop this from happening in the future by turning off
mail fetching; I have not tested this.  The whole point of the "new"
directory in Maildir, though, is to store new messages.  Files get moved
from "new" into "cur" when the corresponding messages are read.  This is
standard Maildir behavior.

Ted