all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Does with-selected-window set current buffer?
@ 2008-09-05 20:01 Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-09-05 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

I am trying to understand if with-selected-window sets current buffer to
the selected window.

with-selected-window calls select-window. The doc string for
select-window makes me a bit confused. At the end of it is a notion that
the command loop selects the buffer of selected window.

Does that mean that select-window does not select that window? Or what
is the comment about?

The reason I am asking is that I have recently seen some cases where I
use with-selected-window in a timer and it looks to me like the code has
been carried out in the wrong buffer. I am not sure yet what is
happening though.

* Re: Does with-selected-window set current buffer?
@ 2008-09-05 20:35 ` Francis Litterio
From: Francis Litterio @ 2008-09-05 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

> I am trying to understand if with-selected-window sets current buffer to
> the selected window.

Well, the current buffer can't be a window object.  I think you meant to
ask if with-selected-window sets the current buffer to the buffer
displayed in the specified window.  As far as I can tell, it does.
--
Fran

* Re: Does with-selected-window set current buffer?
@ 2008-09-05 21:49 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-09-05 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs Devel

> I am trying to understand if with-selected-window sets current buffer to
> the selected window.

Not always.  Sadly, it does it in most cases, so it's easy to be mislead
into thinking that it does.

* Re: Does with-selected-window set current buffer?
@ 2008-09-06  1:21   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-09-06  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I am trying to understand if with-selected-window sets current buffer to
>> the selected window.
>
> Not always.  Sadly, it does it in most cases, so it's easy to be mislead
> into thinking that it does.

Thanks. Then it would be very good if the doc string reflected this.