all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* CUA mode, turn off Shift+Curvor Move to Select
@ 2008-08-30 12:51 Xah
       [not found] ` <mailman.17996.1220104836.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xah @ 2008-08-30 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

in CUA mode, is there a way to make it so that when Shift key is down
and cursor is move, it doesn't select?

That is, i want it to do

(transient-mark-mode t)
(delete-selection-mode t)

and Ctrl+ZXCV for undo cut copy paste, but i don't want the Shift
+CursorMove to Select behavior. (because that behavior is incompatible
with my ergonomic keybinding. I need to suggest to users a way to turn
this this off)

Alternatively, is there a way that only turn on the Ctrl+ZXCV
shortcuts without all the other features?

Thanks in advance again.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: CUA mode, turn off Shift+Curvor Move to Select
@ 2008-08-30 14:00 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found] ` <mailman.17996.1220104836.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-08-30 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xah; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Xah wrote:
> in CUA mode, is there a way to make it so that when Shift key is down
> and cursor is move, it doesn't select?

That would not really be CUA mode ...

> That is, i want it to do
>
> (transient-mark-mode t)
> (delete-selection-mode t)
>
> and Ctrl+ZXCV for undo cut copy paste, but i don't want the Shift
> +CursorMove to Select behavior. (because that behavior is incompatible
> with my ergonomic keybinding. I need to suggest to users a way to turn
> this this off)

There is a property on the command symbol that controls this.

@ 2008-08-30 21:34   ` Xah
       [not found]     ` <mailman.18024.1220139310.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xah @ 2008-08-30 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

2008-08-30

Thanks Lennart.

Now I'm trying to make the following keybindings:

(add-hook 'cua-mode-hook
 (lambda ()
 (define-key cua-global-keymap (kbd "M-C") 'scroll-down)
 (define-key cua-global-keymap (kbd "M-T") 'scroll-up)
 )
) ; Dvorak keyboard

So that, M-C will run scroll-down, instead of cua-scroll-down.
However, it doesn't work.

Apparently, the cua-mode uses some mechanism that simply alias scroll-
down to cua-scroll-down.

in cua-base.el, there's this line:

  ;; scrolling
  (define-key cua-global-keymap [remap scroll-up]	'cua-scroll-up)
  (define-key cua-global-keymap [remap scroll-down]	'cua-scroll-down)

What's the remap in the vector there?

How to do what i want?

Thanks

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄

@ 2008-08-30 23:35     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]     ` <mailman.18024.1220139310.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-08-30 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xah; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Xah wrote:
> 2008-08-30
>
> Thanks Lennart.
>
> Now I'm trying to make the following keybindings:
>
> (add-hook 'cua-mode-hook
>  (lambda ()
>  (define-key cua-global-keymap (kbd "M-C") 'scroll-down)
>  (define-key cua-global-keymap (kbd "M-T") 'scroll-up)
>  )
> ) ; Dvorak keyboard
>
> So that, M-C will run scroll-down, instead of cua-scroll-down.
> However, it doesn't work.
>
> Apparently, the cua-mode uses some mechanism that simply alias scroll-
> down to cua-scroll-down.
>
> in cua-base.el, there's this line:
>
>   ;; scrolling
>   (define-key cua-global-keymap [remap scroll-up]	'cua-scroll-up)
>   (define-key cua-global-keymap [remap scroll-down]	'cua-scroll-down)
>
> What's the remap in the vector there?

Just search for this in the elisp manual

  C-s [remap

and you will get to the page

  (info "(elisp) Remapping Commands")

@ 2008-09-01 16:57       ` Xah
       [not found]         ` <mailman.18147.1220303028.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xah @ 2008-09-01 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah wrote: «CUA mode, turn off Shift+Curvor Move to Select»

Thanks Lennart...

I've now solved my problem by attaching a deactivate-mark as a hook to
every command.

See the code below:

;;; --------------------------------------------------
;;; FIX cua-mode

;; prevent cua-mode from going into selection mode when
;; commands with Shift key is used.

(add-hook 'cua-mode-hook
 (lambda ()
   (define-key cua-global-keymap (kbd "M-C") 'ergokeys-cua-scroll-
down)
   (define-key cua-global-keymap (kbd "M-T") 'ergokeys-cua-scroll-up)
   (define-key cua-global-keymap (kbd "M-G") 'ergokeys-backward-
paragraph)
   (define-key cua-global-keymap (kbd "M-R") 'ergokeys-forward-
paragraph)
   (define-key cua-global-keymap (kbd "M-H") 'ergokeys-beginning-of-
buffer)
   (define-key cua-global-keymap (kbd "M-N") 'ergokeys-end-of-buffer)
   (define-key cua-global-keymap (kbd "M-D") 'ergokeys-move-end-of-
line)

   (defun ergokeys-move-end-of-line ()
     "Move cursor to the end of line.
This command is used in cua-mode to prevent it from selection
when this command is bind to a key with Shift."
     (interactive)
     (let ((deactivate-mark t))
       (move-end-of-line)
       )
     )

   (defun ergokeys-beginning-of-buffer ()
     "Move cursor to the beginning of buffer.
Like beginning-of-buffer, it marks the cursor position first,
but does not activate the mark in transient-mark-mode.
This command is used in cua-mode to prevent it from selection
when this command is bind to a key with Shift."
     (interactive)
     (let ((deactivate-mark t))
       (beginning-of-buffer)
       )
     )

   (defun ergokeys-end-of-buffer ()
     "Move cursor to the end of buffer.
Like end-of-buffer, it marks the cursor position first,
but does not activate the mark in transient-mark-mode.
This command is used in cua-mode to prevent it from selection
when this command is bind to a key with Shift."
     (interactive)
     (let ((deactivate-mark t))
       (end-of-buffer)
       )
     )

   (defun ergokeys-forward-paragraph ()
     "Move cursor forward one paragraph.
Used in cua-mode to prevent it from selection
when this command is bind to a key with Shift."
  (interactive)
  (let ((deactivate-mark t))
    (forward-paragraph)
    )
  )

   (defun ergokeys-backward-paragraph ()
     "Move cursor backward one paragraph.
Used in cua-mode to prevent it from selection
when this command is bind to a event with Shift."
     (interactive)
     (let ((deactivate-mark t))
       (backward-paragraph)
       )
     )

   (defun ergokeys-cua-scroll-up ()
     "Page down.
Used in cua-mode to prevent it from selection
when this command is bind to a event with Shift."
     (interactive)
     (let ((deactivate-mark t))
       (cua-scroll-up))
     )

   (defun ergokeys-cua-scroll-down ()
     "Page up.
Used in cua-mode to prevent it from selection
when this command is bind to a event with Shift."
     (interactive)
     (let ((deactivate-mark t))
       (cua-scroll-down))
     )
   )
 )

btw, just curious, is there a way to consolidate the above? i.e.
instead of defun each, simply use some mechanism that attach
deactivate-mark to a list of functions...

@ 2008-09-01 21:03         ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]         ` <mailman.18147.1220303028.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-09-01 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xah; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Xah wrote:
> Xah wrote: «CUA mode, turn off Shift+Curvor Move to Select»
>
> Thanks Lennart...
>
> I've now solved my problem by attaching a deactivate-mark as a hook to
> every command.

I am glad it helped, but I can't understand why you want to do this ... ;-)

@ 2008-09-02  2:13           ` Xah
       [not found]             ` <mailman.18190.1220348616.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xah @ 2008-09-02  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 1, 2:03 pm, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Xahwrote:
> >Xahwrote: «CUA mode, turn off Shift+Curvor Move to Select»
>
> > Thanks Lennart...
>
> > I've now solved my problem by attaching a deactivate-mark as a hook to
> > every command.
>
> I am glad it helped, but I can't understand why you want to do this ... ;-)

is that a joke?? :)

when cua-mode is on, any shift key with cursor movement will start to
select text. But my ergo map has some bindings with the shift key.
e.g. page up and down is meta shift I/K. So, when used with cua mode,
it starts to select text when paging up, which is annoying. But now,
with the above, it's fixed.

@ 2008-09-02  9:43             ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]             ` <mailman.18190.1220348616.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-09-02  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xah; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Xah wrote:
> On Sep 1, 2:03 pm, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
> <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Xahwrote:
>>> Xahwrote: «CUA mode, turn off Shift+Curvor Move to Select»
>>> Thanks Lennart...
>>> I've now solved my problem by attaching a deactivate-mark as a hook to
>>> every command.
>> I am glad it helped, but I can't understand why you want to do this ... ;-)
>
> is that a joke?? :)

Sorry, only partly ;-)

What I really wondered was why you do not change the property I
mentioned instead:

(put 'cua-scroll-up 'CUA 'move)

@ 2008-09-02 12:58               ` Xah
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.18209.1220371931.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xah @ 2008-09-02 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah wrote: «CUA mode, turn off Shift+Curvor Move to Select»

Lennart Borgman wrote: « (put 'cua-scroll-up 'CUA 'move)»

Damn. Why didn't u be explicit before?

Ok, so if i want to use that, how excatly do i change it? remove the
property? change it to some other value?

am not familiar with lisp's function's properties. Will have to spend
a couple hours on this... but seems the solution i have works now. I
looked at cua-mode source code trying to find some comment or doc
about it but didn't see much... if you can give direct pointer,
that'll be great. Thanks.

@ 2008-09-02 16:12                 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.18209.1220371931.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-09-02 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xah; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Xah wrote:
> Xah wrote: «CUA mode, turn off Shift+Curvor Move to Select»
>
> Lennart Borgman wrote: « (put 'cua-scroll-up 'CUA 'move)»
>
> Damn. Why didn't u be explicit before?

Sorry, I did not remember the name then and thought I gave you enough info.

> Ok, so if i want to use that, how excatly do i change it? remove the
> property? change it to some other value?

I have never done it, but I guess changing it to something else will do,
for example

  (put 'cua-scroll-up 'CUA nil)

> am not familiar with lisp's function's properties. Will have to spend
> a couple hours on this... but seems the solution i have works now. I
> looked at cua-mode source code trying to find some comment or doc
> about it but didn't see much... if you can give direct pointer,
> that'll be great. Thanks.

There is only symbol properties, not functions or variables dito.

There is not much to learn

  (info "(elisp) Symbol Plists")

@ 2008-09-04 20:20                   ` Xah
       [not found]                     ` <mailman.18466.1220567455.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xah @ 2008-09-04 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks a lot for the info Lennart.

I read the elisp doc on symbol properties.
I also tried the suggested solution, for some reason it doesn't seems
to work.

eval the following code and turn on cua mode.

(global-set-key (kbd "M-T") 'scroll-up)
(global-set-key (kbd "M-C") 'scroll-down)
(global-set-key (kbd "M-G") 'backward-paragraph)
(global-set-key (kbd "M-R") 'forward-paragraph)
; etc other commands bound with Shift key.

(add-hook 'cua-mode-hook
 (lambda ()
   (put cua-scroll-down 'CUA nil)
   (put cua-scroll-up 'CUA nil)
   (put backward-paragraph 'CUA nil)
   (put forward-paragraph 'CUA nil)
   (put beginning-of-buffer 'CUA nil)
   (put end-of-buffer 'CUA nil)
   (put move-end-of-line 'CUA nil)

   ;;(define-key cua-global-keymap (kbd "M-C") 'no-select-cua-scroll-
down)
   ;;(define-key cua-global-keymap (kbd "M-T") 'no-select-cua-scroll-
up)
   ;;(define-key cua-global-keymap (kbd "M-G") 'no-select-backward-
paragraph)
   ;;(define-key cua-global-keymap (kbd "M-R") 'no-select-forward-
paragraph)
   ;;(define-key cua-global-keymap (kbd "M-H") 'no-select-beginning-of-
buffer)
   ;;(define-key cua-global-keymap (kbd "M-N") 'no-select-end-of-
buffer)
   ;;(define-key cua-global-keymap (kbd "M-D") 'no-select-move-end-of-
line)
   )
 )

then, when you do a scroll-up/down via the keys above, scroll-down
still activates region selection. Though, scroll-up does not. Could
this be a bug?

Also, backward-paragraph, forward-paragraph, beginning-of-buffer, end-
of-buffer all still activates region selection...

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄

On Sep 2, 9:12 am, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"

@ 2008-09-04 22:30                     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]                     ` <mailman.18466.1220567455.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-09-04 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xah; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs