all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Portable emacs devices
@ 2008-08-25 16:50 Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-08-25 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I wonder if anyone here can recommend a portable emacs device? My
current laptop is too big to drag around when I cycle tour. All I really
want is emacs as an authoring system but clearly wireless etc would be
beneficial if its a light, robust laptop we are talking. I would prefer
Linux as the OS underneath and have been considering the EEE but some
funny business with the batetry capacity have caused me to rethink.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/24/uk-asus-eee-900s-come-with-stunted-battery-longer-warranty/

But basically a full keyboard emacs device is all I want, preferably
with a USB port for later transfer of org files to my main development
machine.

* Re: Portable emacs devices
@ 2008-08-25 17:47 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-08-25 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard G Riley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Richard G Riley wrote:
> I wonder if anyone here can recommend a portable emacs device? My
> current laptop is too big to drag around when I cycle tour. All I really
> want is emacs as an authoring system but clearly wireless etc would be
> beneficial if its a light, robust laptop we are talking. I would prefer
> Linux as the OS underneath and have been considering the EEE but some
> funny business with the batetry capacity have caused me to rethink.
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/24/uk-asus-eee-900s-come-with-stunted-battery-longer-warranty/
>
> But basically a full keyboard emacs device is all I want, preferably
> with a USB port for later transfer of org files to my main development
> machine.

The impression I have got is that there is a shortage of battery
producing capacity at the moment.

It also occurs to me that there are new better alternatives to the one
you shown, with bigger keyboard and screen, but not heavier.

* Re: Portable emacs devices
@ 2008-08-25 18:44 ` xraysmalevich
From: xraysmalevich @ 2008-08-25 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 25, 12:50 pm, Richard G Riley <rileyrg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if anyone here can recommend a portable emacs device? My
> current laptop is too big to drag around when I cycle tour. All I really
> want is emacs as an authoring system but clearly wireless etc would be
> beneficial if its a light, robust laptop we are talking. I would prefer
> Linux as the OS underneath and have been considering the EEE but some
> funny business with the batetry capacity have caused me to rethink.
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/24/uk-asus-eee-900s-come-with-stunted...
>
> But basically a full keyboard emacs device is all I want, preferably
> with a USB port for later transfer of org files to my main development
> machine.

I've been happy with Emacs on an OLPC XO -- but the keyboard is tiny.
You can get used to it, unless you've got Schreck fingers (plus, the
greens would probably clash).

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Emacs

* Re: Portable emacs devices
@ 2008-08-25 19:31 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-08-25 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:50:16 +0200 Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> wrote:

RGR> I wonder if anyone here can recommend a portable emacs device? My
RGR> current laptop is too big to drag around when I cycle tour. All I really
RGR> want is emacs as an authoring system but clearly wireless etc would be
RGR> beneficial if its a light, robust laptop we are talking. I would prefer
RGR> Linux as the OS underneath and have been considering the EEE but some
RGR> funny business with the batetry capacity have caused me to rethink.

RGR> http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/24/uk-asus-eee-900s-come-with-stunted-battery-longer-warranty/

RGR> But basically a full keyboard emacs device is all I want, preferably
RGR> with a USB port for later transfer of org files to my main development
RGR> machine.

A while ago I put together an Emacs package for the Nokia 800 (OS 2007
at the time).  The newest version, the N810, has a small slide-out
keyboard with a Control key; you can use ESC to simulate Meta so it's a
decent Emacs console.  The keys are small but it's very portable and
light.  You can always connect a Bluetooth keyboard if needed.

The battery life is excellent: this is a tablet, not a full PC, and it
lasts at least 6 hours with full usage for me.  The screen is 800x600,
which is great too.  It runs Debian underneath and you can get root.  It
has Wi-Fi, GPS, and other niceties.  For full-time use it's not right,
but for up to 2 hours of work it is quite sufficient.

The latest OS is OS 2008, which won't work with the Emacs package I
mentioned.  I'll put one together if you decide to try the N810.  I
haven't done it so far mainly due to lack of time.

Ted

* Re: Portable emacs devices
@ 2008-08-26  7:44   ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-08-26  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Richard G Riley, help-gnu-emacs

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard G Riley wrote:
>> I wonder if anyone here can recommend a portable emacs device? My
>> current laptop is too big to drag around when I cycle tour. All I really
>> want is emacs as an authoring system but clearly wireless etc would be
>> beneficial if its a light, robust laptop we are talking. I would prefer
>> Linux as the OS underneath and have been considering the EEE but some
>> funny business with the batetry capacity have caused me to rethink.
>>
>> http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/24/uk-asus-eee-900s-come-with-stunted-battery-longer-warranty/
>>
>> But basically a full keyboard emacs device is all I want, preferably
>> with a USB port for later transfer of org files to my main development
>> machine.
>
> The impression I have got is that there is a shortage of battery
> producing capacity at the moment.
>
> It also occurs to me that there are new better alternatives to the one
> you shown, with bigger keyboard and screen, but not heavier.

I dont want bigger keyboard and screen. "Usable" is the key with long
battery life. As I said , size is of the essence possibly more so than a
few grams in weight. Certainly the Nokia 810 looks interesting.

* Re: Portable emacs devices
@ 2008-08-26 17:54     ` ken
From: ken @ 2008-08-26 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Portable emacs devices
@ 2008-08-28 16:30       ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2008-08-28 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:

> Have a look at the Open Moko phone <http://www.openmoko.com/> and
> <http://www.openmoko.org/>.  It's about the size of an iPphone, but is a
> handheld computer running Linux.  It has a phone (of course), GPS &
> mapping (might be handy for biking around), touch screen, USB (albeit
> v.1.1), and some other things.  A lot of the functionality is still in
> development though.  But if you just want to run emacs on it, that
> shouldn't be a major deal.

It's no problem at all. In this very second the installation process
of Debian is running on my new OpenMoko which was in my postbox
yesterday. I've already tried Debian on the device yesterday but I
have to reinstall it since I bought an 8GB MicroSD today to have more
space available. Debian is running fine, all packages of the
distribution are available
<http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner>. You can run xfce and, of
course, Emacs. Emacs is starting up quite slowly, but then it works
smoothly. The keyboard is part of the display and, therefore, quite
small; you have to handle it with a pen. But it's wonderful to be able
to hack in some notes everywhere you go, especially if you are an
addict of org-mode like me. But I wouldn't write a PhD thesis on the
OpenMoko.

Greetings

Sven

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Portable emacs devices
@ 2008-08-28 18:15         ` ken
From: ken @ 2008-08-28 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the
same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
	-- Albert Einstein

On 08/28/2008 12:30 PM Sven Bretfeld wrote:
> ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:
>
>> Have a look at the Open Moko phone <http://www.openmoko.com/> and
>> <http://www.openmoko.org/>.  It's about the size of an iPphone, but is a
>> handheld computer running Linux.  It has a phone (of course), GPS &
>> mapping (might be handy for biking around), touch screen, USB (albeit
>> v.1.1), and some other things.  A lot of the functionality is still in
>> development though.  But if you just want to run emacs on it, that
>> shouldn't be a major deal.
>
> It's no problem at all. In this very second the installation process
> of Debian is running on my new OpenMoko which was in my postbox
> yesterday. I've already tried Debian on the device yesterday but I
> have to reinstall it since I bought an 8GB MicroSD today to have more
> space available. Debian is running fine, all packages of the
> distribution are available
> <http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner>. You can run xfce and, of
> course, Emacs. Emacs is starting up quite slowly, but then it works
> smoothly. The keyboard is part of the display and, therefore, quite
> small; you have to handle it with a pen. But it's wonderful to be able
> to hack in some notes everywhere you go, especially if you are an
> addict of org-mode like me. But I wouldn't write a PhD thesis on the
> OpenMoko.
>
> Greetings
>
> Sven

Sven,

Congratulations!  Yes, I'd agree... I wouldn't want to write a long
document on a little touch screen either-- even using emacs.  But with
the USB port, you could plug a regular keyboard into it.  Some years ago
I read about a keyboard that was essentially a thin piece of plastic you
could roll up when not in use.

I also read about a text input device developed by a student at the MIT
AI lab.  It was a small, palm-sized device that you held in one hand
with the cable running down inside your shirt sleeve; it just hangs
there when you're not using it.  You have to re-learn how to "type" with
"keyboard" designed for one-handed (left-handed) use.  It was one piece
of a complete computer developed as a "wearable computer".  I've never
heard of any of the wearables coming out on retail markets though.

Enjoy your open moko and let us know how it works for you.

Regards,
ken

- --
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the
same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
	-- Albert Einstein

* Re: Portable emacs devices
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-08-28 20:31 ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2008-08-28 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

    I wonder if anyone here can recommend a portable emacs device? My
    current laptop is too big to drag around when I cycle tour. All I really
    want is emacs as an authoring system but clearly wireless etc would be
    beneficial if its a light, robust laptop we are talking. I would prefer
    Linux as the OS underneath and have been considering the EEE but some
    funny business with the batetry capacity have caused me to rethink.

Sylvania Meso      GNU/Linux
MSI Wind           Windows XP (who cares---replace it)

    But basically a full keyboard emacs device is all I want, preferably
    with a USB port for later transfer of org files to my main development
    machine.

Both of them have several ports.  I glanced at them at work yesterday
and the Sylvania's keyboard was what drew my attention.

* Re: Portable emacs devices
@ 2008-08-28 21:25           ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2008-08-28 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs