all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#702: with-help-window returns nil
@ 2008-08-12 16:52 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-08-12 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

Current CVS trunk:

with-help-window returns nil, rather than the last value of BODY.
This causes, eg, describe-function to return nil, rather than the
description. This breaks, eg, eshell/which:

emacs -Q -f eshell
eshell> which which
Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

* bug#702: with-help-window returns nil
@ 2008-08-12 17:27 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-08-12 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris, 702; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, John Wiegley

Glenn Morris wrote:
> Current CVS trunk:
>
> with-help-window returns nil, rather than the last value of BODY.
> This causes, eg, describe-function to return nil, rather than the
> description. This breaks, eg, eshell/which:
>
> emacs -Q -f eshell
> eshell> which which
> Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

I just reported this problem to the maintainer of eshell and suggested
to fetch the documentation in another way.

It is not documented that describe-function should return the doc string.

* bug#702: with-help-window returns nil
@ 2008-08-12 17:58   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-08-12 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Lennart Borgman (gmail)', 702, 'Glenn Morris'
  Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, 'John Wiegley'

> It is not documented that describe-function should return the
> doc string.

And rightfully so. It does not return the doc string. It returns the content of
*Help*, that is, everything that is there, which includes the doc-string text.
See `describe-function-1' for what is included.

Yes, we could document that it returns the contents of *Help* as a string, but
I'm not sure that would be helpful to most users of `describe-funtion'. Those
who are concerned about the return value will likely look at the source code,
which already includes a comment about it.

* bug#702: with-help-window returns nil
@ 2008-08-12 18:11     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-08-12 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 'John Wiegley', 702, emacs-pretest-bug

Drew Adams wrote:
>> It is not documented that describe-function should return the
>> doc string.
>
> And rightfully so. It does not return the doc string. It returns the content of
> *Help*, that is, everything that is there, which includes the doc-string text.
> See `describe-function-1' for what is included.
>
> Yes, we could document that it returns the contents of *Help* as a string, but
> I'm not sure that would be helpful to most users of `describe-funtion'. Those
> who are concerned about the return value will likely look at the source code,
> which already includes a comment about it.

What is wrong with just using (documentation 'my-fun t) instead?

* bug#702: with-help-window returns nil
@ 2008-08-12 18:29       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-08-12 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Lennart Borgman (gmail)'
  Cc: 'John Wiegley', 702, emacs-pretest-bug

> >> It is not documented that describe-function should return the
> >> doc string.
> >
> > And rightfully so. It does not return the doc string. It
> > returns the content of *Help*, that is, everything that
> > is there, which includes the doc-string text.
> > See `describe-function-1' for what is included.
> >
> > Yes, we could document that it returns the contents of
> > *Help* as a string, but I'm not sure that would be helpful
> > to most users of `describe-funtion'. Those who are
> > concerned about the return value will likely look at the
> > source code, which already includes a comment about it.
>
> What is wrong with just using (documentation 'my-fun t) instead?

Instead of what?

Do you mean return that from `describe-function'? Why?

If you want that in some Lisp code, then just use that - no need to call
`describe-function'. If you want what *Help* displays for `describe-function',
however, then you can use the return value of `describe-function'.

* bug#702: with-help-window returns nil
@ 2008-08-13  5:52 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2008-08-13  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 702