all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Whole frame windows
@ 2008-08-09  0:12 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2008-08-09  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I know there's a feature freeze, but how about something like below to
expand a window to the whole frame and back?  It's handy for many window
configurations like gdb-ui where the stack trace, for example, doesn't
always fit in the space available.  Eclipse has a feature like this, when
you double click on the window tab.

Seems pretty harmless to me and any release must be a long way away.

(defvar last-window-configuration nil
  "If `non-nil', the window configuration to which `toggle-window' restores.")

(defun toggle-window ()
  (interactive)
  (if last-window-configuration
      (progn
	(set-window-configuration last-window-configuration)
	(setq last-window-configuration nil))
    (setq last-window-configuration (current-window-configuration))
    (delete-other-windows)))

(define-key global-map [mode-line double-mouse-1] 'toggle-window)

* Re: Whole frame windows
@ 2008-08-09  6:13 ` Mathias Megyei
From: Mathias Megyei @ 2008-08-09  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 12:12 +1200, Nick Roberts wrote:
> I know there's a feature freeze, but how about something like below to
> expand a window to the whole frame and back?  It's handy for many window
> configurations like gdb-ui where the stack trace, for example, doesn't
> always fit in the space available.  Eclipse has a feature like this, when
> you double click on the window tab.
>
> Seems pretty harmless to me and any release must be a long way away.

Great!
What about binding toggle-window to 'C-x 1'?

Mathias

* Re: Whole frame windows
@ 2008-08-09 12:45 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2008-08-09 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > I know there's a feature freeze, but how about something like below to
 > expand a window to the whole frame and back?  It's handy for many window
 > configurations like gdb-ui where the stack trace, for example, doesn't
 > always fit in the space available.  Eclipse has a feature like this, when
 > you double click on the window tab.
 >
 > Seems pretty harmless to me and any release must be a long way away.

IIUC this

(defvar last-window-configuration nil
   "If `non-nil', the window configuration to which `toggle-window' restores.")

is global.  With multiple frames, the effect of `toggle-window' in a
frame B for a window configuration of frame A might be unexpected.

martin