Karl Fogel wrote: > Manoj Srivastava writes: >>> Or if the problem is that Debian isn't allowed to touch anything under >>> /usr/local/, then put code in /etc/emacs/site-start.el that loads >>> /usr/share/.../site-start.el and /usr/local/share/.../site-start.el >>> (and same for any other potentially blocked 'site-start.el's). >> While Debian maintainers can not touch anything under >> /usr/local, Debian install emacs with the PREFIX=/usr, and >> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el Could be made to load the file >> under /etc. >> >>> Wouldn't that solve all the problems here? >> Either the symlink or the modified version put in >> $PREFIX/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el will solve the issue, yes. > > I think we're almost there. > > The trick is not to load the one in /etc, but to have the one in /etc > load whatever other ones exist -- some of which may be user-produced and > shadowed by the one in /etc. > > The problem, IIUC, is that Emacs loads the first site-start.el it finds > in load-path, and no others. Since the /etc one is Debian-maintained, > it is free to find the others (in likely places) and load them. As long > as it does so last, everything will work out fine: user-created code > will be evaluated after Debian-created code, which is what we want. I have attached a site-start.el that maybe can be used for the common site-start.el