all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* find-file completion tweak
@ 2008-07-19 19:18 Eric Roode
From: Eric Roode @ 2008-07-19 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Once upon a time, I could have sworn that find-file completion had a feature
whereby if the first character you typed was a / or a ~, the entire default
directory was erased and replaced with the / or ~.  This was terribly
convenient.

Right now, if you want to open an absolute file name (or one relative to
your home directory), you have to hit C-a C-k after you type C-x C-f and
before you type / or ~.  Annoying.

Did I dream this feature?  Did it go away?  How can I make find-file behave
this way again?

Thanks,
Eric