all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ergonomic keybindings in text mode
@ 2008-06-30  9:02 Markus Grunwald
From: Markus Grunwald @ 2008-06-30  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

Recently, I read in this group about a more ergonomic keylayout for emacs:
http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding.html
Since I had Problems with my joints for a long time, I decided to try it.
But I have one slight problem: text-mode changes a lot of bindings that I
would like to have. text-mode-hook does not look suspicious:

text-mode-hook is a variable defined in `text-mode.el'.
Its value is
((lambda nil
   (auto-fill-mode 1)
   (abbrev-mode 1)
   (message "==================== text-mode-hook ===================="))
 text-mode-hook-identify)

What can I do about it ? The only thing that came to my mind is to re-bind
all keys in text-mode-hook but this does not seem elegant to me...

TIA,
Markus

* Re: ergonomic keybindings in text mode
@ 2008-06-30  9:52 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found] ` <mailman.13992.1214819591.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-06-30  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Grunwald; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Markus Grunwald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently, I read in this group about a more ergonomic keylayout for emacs:
> http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding.html
> Since I had Problems with my joints for a long time, I decided to try it.

You may want to read this too:

   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/StickyModifiers

and perhaps (if it fits you), the bottom of Alex page

   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/AlexSchroeder

My experience is very similar to Alex. And I always use sticky modifiers.

@ 2008-06-30 10:29   ` Markus Grunwald
From: Markus Grunwald @ 2008-06-30 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:52:59 +0200, Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

> You may want to read this too:
>
>    http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/StickyModifiers
>
> [...] And I always use sticky modifiers.

Thanks for the links, but I tried sticky modifiers quite a while ago.
There were two problems:

1) It only helps if I don't continue to use the modifiers like before.
Since I am not forced to do so, I still spread my pinky like before.
2) It simply drove me crazy ;)

But a few days with the new keybindings worked for me :)

cu

@ 2008-06-30 11:09     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-06-30 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Grunwald; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Markus Grunwald wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:52:59 +0200, Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
>
>> You may want to read this too:
>>
>>    http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/StickyModifiers
>>
>> [...] And I always use sticky modifiers.
>
> Thanks for the links, but I tried sticky modifiers quite a while ago.
> There were two problems:
>
> 1) It only helps if I don't continue to use the modifiers like before.
> Since I am not forced to do so, I still spread my pinky like before.

You are forced to not do so, otherwise your pain will continue ;-)

> 2) It simply drove me crazy ;)

If you go crazy, then have fun. There might be a lot of new fun things
to do if you are just a little bit more crazy.

> But a few days with the new keybindings worked for me :)

Congratulations.

@ 2008-06-30 11:40 ` Markus Grunwald
From: Markus Grunwald @ 2008-06-30 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:02:03 +0000, Markus Grunwald wrote:

> Recently, I read in this group about a more ergonomic keylayout for emacs:
> http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding.html
> But I have one slight problem: text-mode changes a lot of bindings that I
> would like to have.

This was a case of PEBKAC: I wantet to "kick the habbit", like described
on the webpage but was a bit too strict:

(global-unset-key [(control m)]); newline-and-indent

This is NOT a good idea ;) Commented this out and everything is fine.

cu
Markus

* Re: ergonomic keybindings in text mode
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-06-30 12:53 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-06-30 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Grunwald; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Markus Grunwald <markus.grunwald@gmx.de> wrote:

> But I have one slight problem: text-mode changes a lot of bindings that I
> would like to have.
>
> What can I do about it ? The only thing that came to my mind is to re-bind
> all keys in text-mode-hook but this does not seem elegant to me...

I believe that's pretty much all you can do.  Emacs keymaps don't
abstract keys, so most modes just bind their commands to the standard
keys.  (That's why I have to think long and hard before re-assigning
even a single key.  The effects ripple through all parts of Emacs...)

But when looking at text-mode-map, with its three bindings, I'm not sure
about which lot of changes you're talking about.

Incidentally, the best thing for comfortable typing I've found (besides
Dvorak), is switching Control to Caps Lock and using C-m and C-h instead
of Return and Backspace.  Not that it's easy to get used to. :)

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: ergonomic keybindings in text mode
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-06-30 15:38 ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-06-30 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hi Markus,

are you using qwerty or dvorak?

i use dvorak so i'm not sure what some of the special modes effects
the qwerty ergo keymap.

But for dvorak for example, shell mode and shell-command rebind M-r,
which under the dvorak ergo map should be forward-word.

For modes that rebind your shortcuts, you can force them back like
this:

(add-hook 'comint-mode-hook
(lambda ()
 (define-key comint-mode-map (kbd "M-r") 'forward-word)
 (define-key comint-mode-map (kbd "M-s")" 'isearch-forward)
)
)

The comint-mode is used by shell and shell-command and other shell
related modes for keybinding. So, the above rebind them.

In general, you need to find out the mode name. Suppose the mode name
is xyz, then typically xyz-hook is its hook function name and xyz-map
is its keymap.

Basically, each emacs mode may define its own keymap, and if they do,
they over-ride any global maps by design. So a hook is needed to
reclaim your keybindings. You'll have to do this for every mode that
took your keybindings.

Almost all major or minor modes will have its own keymaps (most of
them will have lots of bindings in the C-c C-‹key› space). However,
fortunately they seldomly use the M-‹key› space, which the ergo map is
based on.

Thanks for trying out the ergonomic keybindings. :)

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄