all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* (next-buffer) : emacs hangs
@ 2008-06-24  7:24 Markus Grunwald
       [not found] ` <mailman.13799.1214331250.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Markus Grunwald @ 2008-06-24  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm using GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20)
Every now and then, when I have multiple buffers open and press C-x
left/right or otherwise use (next-buffer) or (previous-buffer) emacs hangs
completely. CPU is at 100%. The only thing that is still working then is a
repaint when I hide/unhide the window.

How can i find out what's happening ? It is really annoying and
unfortunately hard to reproduce :(

TIA
Markus

* Re: (next-buffer) : emacs hangs
@ 2008-06-24 18:14 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
       [not found] ` <mailman.13799.1214331250.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-06-24 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Grunwald; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Markus Grunwald <markus.grunwald@gmx.de> wrote:

> emacs hangs completely. CPU is at 100%. The only thing that is still
> working then is a repaint when I hide/unhide the window.
>
> How can i find out what's happening ? It is really annoying and
> unfortunately hard to reproduce :(

Does C-g get you out?  If so, you can set debug-on-quit to get a
backtrace, otherwise you'll need to use GDB.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: (next-buffer) : emacs hangs
       [not found] ` <mailman.13799.1214331250.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-06-25  7:58   ` Markus Grunwald
From: Markus Grunwald @ 2008-06-25  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:14:03 +0200, Nikolaj Schumacher wrote:

>> emacs hangs completely. CPU is at 100%. [...]
>>
>> How can i find out what's happening ? I
>
> Does C-g get you out?  If so, you can set debug-on-quit to get a
> backtrace, otherwise you'll need to use GDB.

Unfortunately, C-g doesn't help. So I'll attach gdb next time...

Thanks,
Markus

* Re: (next-buffer) : emacs hangs
       [not found] ` <mailman.13799.1214331250.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-07-25 14:46   ` The Grue
From: The Grue @ 2008-07-25 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 24 Jun., 20:14, Nikolaj Schumacher <n_schumac...@web.de> wrote:
> > emacs hangs completely. CPU is at 100%. The only thing that is still
> > working then is a repaint when I hide/unhide the window.

> Does C-g get you out?  If so, you can set debug-on-quit to get a
> backtrace, otherwise you'll need to use GDB.

Well, C-g doesn't help so I tried to run emacs in gdb - but I'm stuck :
(

I deleted the sources from which I built my emacs. So I just fetched
the tar file again.
Then I started gdb:
me@somewhere >gdb /opt/emacs/bin/emacs
GNU gdb 6.6 [...]
(gdb) dir /home/me/src/emacs-22.2/src
Source directories searched: /home/me/src/emacs-22.2/src:$cdir:$cwd
run
(gdb) run
Starting program: /opt/emacs/bin/emacs
[New Thread -1219377472 (LWP 4623)]

-----> I press C-c

[Switching to Thread -1219377472 (LWP 4623)]
0xb7ef7410 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0xb7ef7410 in ?? ()
#1  0xbfe6e8a8 in ?? ()
#2  0x00000000 in ?? ()

So there's no debug info ? I 've surely done something wrong but I
don't know what. The emacs binary has debug info, so this should work,
shouldn't it ?

Thanks for any help,
Markus