all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* make ctrl-+ increase font size?
@ 2009-04-28 14:48 Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2009-04-28 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Ctrl-+ seems unused right now.  Can we make it a short-cut for
increasing the font size?

Ctrl-+ is used to increase the font size in many GNOME applications (and
other applications too) so it would be nice to be consistent here.

Ctrl-- is already taken, but maybe it isn't that important?

/Simon

* RE: make ctrl-+ increase font size?
@ 2009-04-28 15:08 ` Drew Adams
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-04-28 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Simon Josefsson', emacs-devel

> Ctrl-+ seems unused right now.  Can we make it a short-cut for
> increasing the font size? Ctrl-+ is used to increase the font
> size in many GNOME applications (and other applications too)
> so it would be nice to be consistent here.
>
> Ctrl-- is already taken, but maybe it isn't that important?

I, for one, would be against it. Let's keep that key for users.

It's easy enough for any user to bind `C-+' to whatever command s?he wants,
including one that increases the font size. (Of course, you need a command that
does that. ;-))

[I bind `C-+', for example, to a command that toggles showing crosshair
highlighting at point. And I bind a command that increases the font size to
`C-wheel-up' (and to `S-mouse-1', except in some modes).]

And yes, `C--' is very important. Many commands provide alternative behavior
when you use a negative prefix arg, and `C--' is useful for that. Just `C--'
alone (no following digits) is the quickest way to reverse the behavior of many
commands that simply test the sign of the prefix arg.

* Re: make ctrl-+ increase font size?
@ 2009-04-28 15:08 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-04-28 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> writes:
> Ctrl-+ seems unused right now.  Can we make it a short-cut for
> increasing the font size?
>
> Ctrl-+ is used to increase the font size in many GNOME applications (and
> other applications too) so it would be nice to be consistent here.
>
> Ctrl-- is already taken, but maybe it isn't that important?

There was already a discussion about this, leading to the current
compromise bindings of C-x C-+ (etc).  You can search the emacs-devel
list for that if you want.

-Miles

--
Custard, n. A vile concoction produced by a malevolent conspiracy of the hen,
the cow, and the cook.

* Re: make ctrl-+ increase font size?
@ 2009-04-28 15:33 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2009-04-28 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Josefsson; +Cc: emacs-devel

2009/4/28 Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org>:
> Ctrl-+ seems unused right now.  Can we make it a short-cut for
> increasing the font size?
>
> Ctrl-+ is used to increase the font size in many GNOME applications (and
> other applications too) so it would be nice to be consistent here.
>
> Ctrl-- is already taken, but maybe it isn't that important?

I've bound C-+ and C-- to text-scale-increase and text-scale-decrease
respectively, but also bound M-+ and M-- to increase/decrease the font
size in every buffer. I agree that C-x C-+ and C-x C-- can be a bit
cumbersome to type, but seeing as rebinding C-- (and M--) would break
negative-argument, it's certainly a bad idea to make those keybindings
default.

But how about making C-x M-+ and C-x M-- default bindings for
increasing/decreasing the font size in every buffer? Has that been up
before? Would that break anything?

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: make ctrl-+ increase font size?
@ 2009-05-04 12:44   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2009-05-04 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> writes:
>> Ctrl-+ seems unused right now.  Can we make it a short-cut for
>> increasing the font size?
>>
>> Ctrl-+ is used to increase the font size in many GNOME applications (and
>> other applications too) so it would be nice to be consistent here.
>>
>> Ctrl-- is already taken, but maybe it isn't that important?
>
> There was already a discussion about this, leading to the current
> compromise bindings of C-x C-+ (etc).  You can search the emacs-devel
> list for that if you want.

Ah, sorry I had missed that.  I have put

(define-key global-map [?\C-+] 'text-scale-increase)
(define-key global-map [?\C--] 'text-scale-decrease)

in my ~/.emacs and can live with it, although I suspect the concern will
come up again in the future.

/Simon

* Re: make ctrl-+ increase font size?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)