all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Turn Tramp off
@ 2011-03-29 17:29 Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-03-29 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: GNU Emacs List

Hi,

I'm current rlogin'ed to a site I can't ssh to and I don't need tramp right now.  Is there a quick easy way to just turn it off?

Thanks,
pedz

* Re: Turn Tramp off
@ 2011-03-29 19:11 ` Deniz Dogan
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2.1301426395.26885.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-03-29 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: GNU Emacs List

2011/3/29 Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm current rlogin'ed to a site I can't ssh to and I don't need tramp right now.  Is there a quick easy way to just turn it off?

Setting tramp-mode to nil is said to disable it, but if I remember
correctly I couldn't get that to work when I didn't want tramp.

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Turn Tramp off
@ 2011-03-29 19:19   ` Perry Smith
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2.1301426395.26885.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-03-29 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: GNU Emacs List

On Mar 29, 2011, at 2:11 PM, Deniz Dogan wrote:

> 2011/3/29 Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm current rlogin'ed to a site I can't ssh to and I don't need tramp right now.  Is there a quick easy way to just turn it off?
>>

> Setting tramp-mode to nil is said to disable it, but if I remember
> correctly I couldn't get that to work when I didn't want tramp.

Yea.  I found that via google but apropos doesn't even mention that.  I later found tramp-unload-tramp.  This causes ange-ftp to be used -- which is ok I suppose.  Still is wasting time on a feature that I don't want right now.  Its a super cool feature when you want it but right now its just bogging me down.

pedz

* Re: Turn Tramp off
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2.1301426395.26885.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-03-29 21:33     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2011-03-29 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 29, 2011, at 2:11 PM, Deniz Dogan wrote:
>
>> 2011/3/29 Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm current rlogin'ed to a site I can't ssh to and I don't need tramp right
>>> now. Is there a quick easy way to just turn it off?
>>>

>> Setting tramp-mode to nil is said to disable it, but if I remember
>> correctly I couldn't get that to work when I didn't want tramp.
>
> Yea. I found that via google but apropos doesn't even mention that. I later
> found tramp-unload-tramp. This causes ange-ftp to be used -- which is ok I
> suppose. Still is wasting time on a feature that I don't want right now. Its a
> super cool feature when you want it but right now its just bogging me down.
>
> pedz

Alternatively, can't yhou setup a tramp method that uses ftp to connect
to that host? IIRC, the 'default' method is ssh/scp, but if you define a
specific method for a host it will use that.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Turn Tramp off
@ 2011-03-29 21:51       ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-03-29 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tim X; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 29, 2011, at 4:33 PM, Tim X wrote:

> Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Setting tramp-mode to nil is said to disable it, but if I remember
>>> correctly I couldn't get that to work when I didn't want tramp.
>>
>> Yea. I found that via google but apropos doesn't even mention that. I later
>> found tramp-unload-tramp. This causes ange-ftp to be used -- which is ok I
>> suppose. Still is wasting time on a feature that I don't want right now. Its a
>> super cool feature when you want it but right now its just bogging me down.
>>
>> pedz
>>

> Alternatively, can't yhou setup a tramp method that uses ftp to connect
> to that host? IIRC, the 'default' method is ssh/scp, but if you define a
> specific method for a host it will use that.

Yea, I'm sure you can.  I have just not had the time to learn tramp well enough.  I was hot on a debugging path and just needed it out of the way.

More often than not, I'm not interested in its features.  I need to learn how to set the defaults so it is off and then enable it when I want to use it.

I want to do rlogin or telnet inside emacs so I have a complete history of what happens.  But that kicks off tramp and (often) I'm not interested in it.  And, I don't do this very often so I haven't taken the time to learn the neat way of doing things.

* Re: Turn Tramp off
@ 2011-03-30  0:10         ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2011-03-30  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: Tim X, help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-03-30 05:51 +0800, Perry Smith wrote:
> Yea, I'm sure you can. I have just not had the time to learn tramp
> well enough. I was hot on a debugging path and just needed it out of
> the way.

Can you try removing the two tramp entries in file-name-handler-alist?
Personally I think tramp should not be invoked automatically unless a
user set it up to.

Leo

* Re: Turn Tramp off
       [not found] <mailman.8.1301419752.30204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-03-30  1:34 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-03-30  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I'm current rlogin'ed to a site I can't ssh to and I don't need tramp right
> now.  Is there a quick easy way to just turn it off?

If you tell us in which way you find it to be active, that would help.

* Re: Turn Tramp off
@ 2011-03-30  2:43   ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-03-30  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 29, 2011, at 8:34 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> I'm current rlogin'ed to a site I can't ssh to and I don't need tramp right
>> now.  Is there a quick easy way to just turn it off?
>
> If you tell us in which way you find it to be active, that would help.

each time I cd to a directory, it kicks in and tries to ssh to the site.  If I unload it then ange-ftp does the same thing (tries to log in except using ftp in this case).

* Re: Turn Tramp off
@ 2011-03-30 14:33     ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10.1301495607.15752.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-03-30 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>>> I'm current rlogin'ed to a site I can't ssh to and I don't need tramp right
>>> now.  Is there a quick easy way to just turn it off?
>> If you tell us in which way you find it to be active, that would help.
> each time I cd to a directory, it kicks in and tries to ssh to the site.

Sounds like a problem that should be either fixed in Tramp, or should be
easier to squash for the user.  Please M-x report-emacs-bug.

* Re: Turn Tramp off
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10.1301495607.15752.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-03-30 16:13       ` nospam
From: nospam @ 2011-03-30 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Monnier writes:

>>> If you tell us in which way you find it to be active, that would help.
>> each time I cd to a directory, it kicks in and tries to ssh to the site.
>
> Sounds like a problem that should be either fixed in Tramp, or should be
> easier to squash for the user.  Please M-x report-emacs-bug.
>

>         Stefan

Hi,

I'm using ido and I wasn't able to switch off tramp by setting
tramp-mode to nil until I set ido-enable-tramp-completion to nil too.

Cheers

Martin

parozusa at web dot de

* Re: Turn Tramp off
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10.1301495607.15752.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-04-02 13:16     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2011-04-02 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Stefan Monnier

Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 29, 2011, at 8:34 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>>> I'm current rlogin'ed to a site I can't ssh to and I don't need tramp right
>>> now.  Is there a quick easy way to just turn it off?
>>
>> If you tell us in which way you find it to be active, that would help.
>
> each time I cd to a directory, it kicks in and tries to ssh to the
> site.  If I unload it then ange-ftp does the same thing (tries to log
> in except using ftp in this case).

I don't understand your scenario. Tramp is invoked for special file
names. How does this corelate with rlogin and cd?

Could you, please, show your use case, starting with 'emacs -Q'?

Thanks, and best regards, Michael.

* Re: Turn Tramp off
@ 2011-04-03  1:16       ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-04-03  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Stefan Monnier

On Apr 2, 2011, at 8:16 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:

> Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> writes:

>>> If you tell us in which way you find it to be active, that would help.
>>
>> each time I cd to a directory, it kicks in and tries to ssh to the
>> site.  If I unload it then ange-ftp does the same thing (tries to log
>> in except using ftp in this case).
>
> I don't understand your scenario. Tramp is invoked for special file
> names. How does this corelate with rlogin and cd?
>
> Could you, please, show your use case, starting with 'emacs -Q'?

You are correct.  Sorry about that.  If I do it with -Q, tramp doesn't get involved when I do a simple rlogin followed by cd.  In fact, without -Q, I can't even get past the rlogin without tramp getting involved.

One place it gets invoked is because I have ido-mode set.  But even if I turn that off, it still gets loaded somehow.

How do I track down why its getting loaded?  I've grep'ed all my files in .emacs.d and its not there.  It must be some other package I'm using which is loading it.

Thank you for your help,
Perry

* Re: Turn Tramp off
@ 2011-04-03  8:25         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-04-03  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Michael Albinus, Stefan Monnier

Am 03.04.2011 um 03:16 schrieb Perry Smith:

> How do I track down why its getting loaded?

Maybe by using this little piece of code:

	(defadvice load (before debug-log activate)
	  (message "(Tipp von Kai G) Loading now: %s" (ad-get-arg 0)))

--
Greetings

   Pete

Bake pizza not war!

* Re: Turn Tramp off
@ 2011-04-03 12:47           ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-04-03 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 3, 2011, at 3:25 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 03.04.2011 um 03:16 schrieb Perry Smith:
>
>> How do I track down why its getting loaded?
>

> Maybe by using this little piece of code:
>
> 	(defadvice load (before debug-log activate)
> 	  (message "(Tipp von Kai G) Loading now: %s" (ad-get-arg 0)))

Very cool.  I've heard but never played with advice.  This will give me a chance to learn lots of stuff.

Of course, that reminds me of the plague in my counselor's office:

"Take my advice,
I'm not using it"

Thanks again,
pedz

* Re: Turn Tramp off
@ 2011-04-03 13:34         ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2011-04-03 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Stefan Monnier

Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> writes:

> How do I track down why its getting loaded?  I've grep'ed all my files
> in .emacs.d and its not there.  It must be some other package I'm
> using which is loading it.

Eval after Emacs' startup

  (setq debug-on-quit t)

When Tramp asks you for the password, enter "^G". This should produce a
backtrace, which might tell us the reason why Tramp is invoked.

> Thank you for your help,
> Perry

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Turn Tramp off
@ 2011-04-03 15:11           ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-04-03 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 3, 2011, at 8:34 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:

> Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> How do I track down why its getting loaded?  I've grep'ed all my files
>> in .emacs.d and its not there.  It must be some other package I'm
>> using which is loading it.
>
> Eval after Emacs' startup
>
>  (setq debug-on-quit t)
>
> When Tramp asks you for the password, enter "^G". This should produce a
> backtrace, which might tell us the reason why Tramp is invoked.

Sigh!  Finally.  If anyone is interested:

I tried the "advice" but for some reason, the advice didn't trigger when Tramp is loaded.  I assume that is because it is getting autoloaded which doesn't use load?  The ^G didn't give much of a clue.  The stack I got was:

> Debugger entered--entering a function:
> * tramp-file-name-handler(file-name-as-directory "/pedz@risc:")
>   file-name-as-directory("/pedz@risc:")
>   apply(file-name-as-directory "/pedz@risc:")
>   tramp-completion-run-real-handler(file-name-as-directory ("/pedz@risc:"))
>   tramp-completion-file-name-handler(file-name-as-directory "/pedz@risc:")
>   file-name-as-directory("/pedz@risc:")
>   cd-absolute("/pedz@risc:")
>   byte-code("\b\304=\203\x12\305	\306\n\307\260\x05\x13\310\v!\207\b?\206\x1c\310\v\311P!\207" [rlogin-directory-tracking-mode rlogin-remote-user rlogin-host comint-file-name-prefix t "/" "@" ":" cd-absolute "~/"] 5)
>   rlogin("risc -l pedz" nil)
>   call-interactively(rlogin t nil)
>   execute-extended-command(nil)
>   call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)

But why was tramp loaded in the first place?  So, I ended up removing the rlogin.elc and the tramp.elc and added

(debug-on-entry 'tramp-register-file-name-handlers)

just after it was defined.  I didn't that a couple of different ways and got the same stack (below).  The stack seems like it left off the initial N frames.

>   (if (comint-check-proc buffer-name) nil (comint-exec buffer buffer-name rlogin-program nil args) (rlogin-mode) (make-local-variable (quote rlogin-host)) (setq rlogin-host host) (make-local-variable (quote rlogin-remote-user)) (setq rlogin-remote-user user) (condition-case nil (cond ... ... ...) (error nil)))
>   (unless (comint-check-proc buffer-name) (comint-exec buffer buffer-name rlogin-program nil args) (rlogin-mode) (make-local-variable (quote rlogin-host)) (setq rlogin-host host) (make-local-variable (quote rlogin-remote-user)) (setq rlogin-remote-user user) (condition-case nil (cond ... ... ...) (error nil)))
>   (let* ((process-connection-type rlogin-process-connection-type) (args ...) (host ...) (user ...) (buffer-name ...)) (cond (...) (... ...) (... ...) (... ...) (t ...)) (setq buffer (get-buffer-create buffer-name)) (pop-to-buffer buffer-name) (unless (comint-check-proc buffer-name) (comint-exec buffer buffer-name rlogin-program nil args) (rlogin-mode) (make-local-variable ...) (setq rlogin-host host) (make-local-variable ...) (setq rlogin-remote-user user) (condition-case nil ... ...)))
>   rlogin("risc -l pedz" nil)
>   call-interactively(rlogin t nil)
>   execute-extended-command(nil)
>   call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)

But I finally figured out that it was because rlogin-directory-tracking-mode was set.  I found that set in one of my older init files.  So, I cleared that.  That solved the initial problem of starting emacs and immediately doing the rlogin.  But I also have ido set and I was sure that it called tramp too.  So, I triggered ido to load tramp and found that there is ido-enable-tramp-completion.  I think I'm not tramp-less :-)

Thanks guys.

pedz

* Re: Turn Tramp off
@ 2011-04-03 18:22             ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2011-04-03 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> writes:

> But I finally figured out that it was
> because rlogin-directory-tracking-mode was set.  I found that set in
> one of my older init files.  So, I cleared that.  That solved the
> initial problem of starting emacs and immediately doing the rlogin.
>  But I also have ido set and I was sure that it called tramp too.  So,
> I triggered ido to load tramp and found that there
> is ido-enable-tramp-completion.  I think I'm not tramp-less :-)

Disabling rlogin-directory-tracking-mode and ido-enable-tramp-completion
has solved your problem? Well, I'll add it to the Tramp documentation.

> Thanks guys.
>
> pedz

Best regards, Michael.