all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* keyboard-based menu copy
@ 2008-06-16  7:54 knubee
       [not found] ` <mailman.13377.1213607613.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: knubee @ 2008-06-16  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sometimes I need to paste the contents of an emacs buffer into another
application. As far as I can tell, the primary way to do this is to
select the text, choose "copy" from the edit menu, and then it is
possible to paste in another app.

Is there a keyboard alternative to the "choose copy from edit menu"
step?

thanks.

* Re: keyboard-based menu copy
@ 2008-06-16  9:13 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.13377.1213607613.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-06-16  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: knubee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.06.2008 um 09:54 schrieb knubee:

> Is there a keyboard alternative to the "choose copy from edit menu"
> step?

Of course: the X window manager's short-cut.

--
Greetings

   Pete

If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
				– George W. Bush

* Re: keyboard-based menu copy
       [not found] ` <mailman.13377.1213607613.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-06-16 10:15   ` knubee
From: knubee @ 2008-06-16 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Of course: the X window manager's short-cut.

C-c  ???

* Re: keyboard-based menu copy
@ 2008-06-16 10:46     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2008-06-16 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

knubee <knubee@gmail.com> writes:

>> Of course: the X window manager's short-cut.
>
> C-c  ???

Mark the region you want to copy - using the keyboard, place point at
the start and hit C-space. Move to the end and hit A-w to copy or C-w to
copy and kill the region.

Then go to the application you want to past into and use the middle
mouse button to paste (assuming X windows).

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: keyboard-based menu copy
@ 2008-06-16 10:54       ` knubee
From: knubee @ 2008-06-16 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Then go to the application you want to past into and use the middle
> mouse button to paste (assuming X windows).

oh, nice. that does it. thanks.

* Re: keyboard-based menu copy
@ 2008-06-16 11:29     ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-06-16 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: knubee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

knubee <knubee@gmail.com> writes:

>> Of course: the X window manager's short-cut.
>
> C-c  ???

Have you tried just copying the text with "\M-w" and then pasting with
the mouse in the other application?  That works for me.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
(303) 880-3109

* Re: keyboard-based menu copy
@ 2008-06-16 11:34     ` Bernardo Bacic
From: Bernardo Bacic @ 2008-06-16 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: knubee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> Of course: the X window manager's short-cut.
>
> C-c  ???

M-w