all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Search for selected tex
@ 2008-06-14 16:30 Lorenzo Isella
From: Lorenzo Isella @ 2008-06-14 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear All,
I would like to be able to select some text with C-space and then look
for it inside the buffer.
I found some functions online which I modified to get:

;; a function to search the selected text

(defun my-search-forward (begin end)
  (interactive (list (point) (mark)))
  (let ((text (filter-buffer-substring begin end nil t)))
    (goto-char (max begin end))
    (let ((found-pos (search-forward text nil t)))
      (if (not found-pos)
          (progn
            (goto-char begin)
            (error "not found"))
          (progn
            (goto-char found-pos)
            (set-mark (- found-pos (length text))))))))

(define-key global-map [(control q )] 'my-search-forward)

It is almost there but not yet...
If I highlight some text, I can look for it with C-q, but once at the
end of the buffer, it stops searching (whereas I would like it to search
from the beginning of the buffer).
If then I move to the beginning of the buffer, not everything above my
last position is selected, but also the function loses memory of what I
was looking for...
Anybody can give me some help? Apologies if there is already and emacs
command for that, but my online search was not fruitful.
Cheers

Lorenzo

* Re: Search for selected tex
@ 2008-06-14 16:45 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-06-14 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lorenzo Isella; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Lorenzo Isella wrote:
> Dear All,
> I would like to be able to select some text with C-space and then look
> for it inside the buffer.
> I found some functions online which I modified to get:
>
> ;; a function to search the selected text
>
> (defun my-search-forward (begin end)
>  (interactive (list (point) (mark)))
>  (let ((text (filter-buffer-substring begin end nil t)))
>    (goto-char (max begin end))
>    (let ((found-pos (search-forward text nil t)))
>      (if (not found-pos)
>          (progn
>            (goto-char begin)
>            (error "not found"))
>          (progn
>            (goto-char found-pos)
>            (set-mark (- found-pos (length text))))))))
>

> (define-key global-map [(control q )] 'my-search-forward)
>

> It is almost there but not yet...
> If I highlight some text, I can look for it with C-q, but once at the
> end of the buffer, it stops searching (whereas I would like it to search
> from the beginning of the buffer).
> If then I move to the beginning of the buffer, not everything above my
> last position is selected, but also the function loses memory of what I
> was looking for...
> Anybody can give me some help? Apologies if there is already and emacs
> command for that, but my online search was not fruitful.
> Cheers

There is some code for similar wishes in

   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SearchAtPoint

* Re: Search for selected tex
@ 2008-06-14 17:00   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-06-14 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Lorenzo Isella, help-gnu-emacs

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Lorenzo Isella wrote:
>> Dear All,
>> I would like to be able to select some text with C-space and then
>> look for it inside the buffer.
>> I found some functions online which I modified to get:
>>
>> ;; a function to search the selected text
>>
>> (defun my-search-forward (begin end)
>>  (interactive (list (point) (mark)))
>>  (let ((text (filter-buffer-substring begin end nil t)))
>>    (goto-char (max begin end))
>>    (let ((found-pos (search-forward text nil t)))
>>      (if (not found-pos)
>>          (progn
>>            (goto-char begin)
>>            (error "not found"))
>>          (progn
>>            (goto-char found-pos)
>>            (set-mark (- found-pos (length text))))))))
>>

>> (define-key global-map [(control q )] 'my-search-forward)
>>

>> It is almost there but not yet...
>> If I highlight some text, I can look for it with C-q, but once at
>> the end of the buffer, it stops searching (whereas I would like it
>> to search from the beginning of the buffer).
>> If then I move to the beginning of the buffer, not everything above
>> my last position is selected, but also the function loses memory of
>> what I was looking for...
>> Anybody can give me some help? Apologies if there is already and
>> emacs command for that, but my online search was not fruitful.
>> Cheers
>

> There is some code for similar wishes in
>
>   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SearchAtPoint

You can also use isearch-forward like that:
put the point at begining of text and then hit C-s C-w C-w C-w ....
until you are at the end of text and then C-s C-s ...etc...
--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu

* Re: Search for selected tex
@ 2008-06-14 17:03   ` Lorenzo Isella
From: Lorenzo Isella @ 2008-06-14 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Lorenzo Isella, help-gnu-emacs

Many thanks, I cut and pasted a few lines and noticed the improvement (I
selected the snippet by Jury Linkow in the site you suggested). But it
seems to me this mainly deals with finding a single long word in the
text by placing the cursor on it.
What if instead I want to find e.g. two words on the spot?
Cheers

Lorenzo

@ 2008-06-15  0:15     ` Juanma
From: Juanma @ 2008-06-15  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday 14 June 2008, Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Lorenzo Isella wrote:
> >> Dear All,
> >> I would like to be able to select some text with C-space and then
> >> look for it inside the buffer.
<snip>

> > There is some code for similar wishes in
> >
> >   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SearchAtPoint
> >

> You can also use isearch-forward like that:
> put the point at begining of text and then hit C-s C-w C-w C-w ....
> until you are at the end of text and then C-s C-s ...etc...

Or C-y to search for text between point and end of line, instead of taking
words one by one. Repeating C-y takes one more line at a time.

Or, kill or save the text to the kill ring and yank it for search with M-y
(i.e., after having pressed C-s).

Once you defined some text to search for, you can edit it, moving point to the
minibuffer with M-e.

See here: *info* (emacs)Isearch Yank (chapter 20.1.6)

Even more if you see the documentation of `isearch-forward'.
--
Juanma

"Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like
 having a peeing section in a swimming pool."
       -- Edward Burr