all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
To: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
	joakim@verona.se, Emacs Devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Three strikes them out
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 01:19:07 +0200	[thread overview]

martin rudalics wrote:
>  > I agree with Lennart that Emacs should provide more facilities to get
>  > out of awkward situations. Sure, fix the bug, but how is any given Emacs
>  > user affected by some Emacs bug somewhere supposed to do that?
>
> If the bug is with Emacs' fontification routines there's hardly anything
> a user can do but give a simple and precise recipe to reproduce the bug
> and wait until someone familiar with the code fixes it.  At least that's
> what I would do.

And it is still very hard to find those bugs sometimes. One suggestion
that have been given here to test fontification code is to run it by
calling for example font-lock-fontify-region.

That does not always work because that function fontifies from top to
bottom, but the bug may perhaps only show up in other situations.

I think it would be useful to be able to set `debugger' to something
that can log an error during fontification. That is currently not possible.

>  > Lennarts "c-g repeatedly" maybe wasnt the best example. Surely this
>  > doesnt exclude the possibility of adding some other helpful feature?
>
> If it's timer based it might depend on whether you're able to intercept
> it.

I just wanted a C-g signal to reach the timers just as it now reaches
code running directly in the command loop. I thought that some C-g in a
row would be easy to remember for that. (Of course some more things
needs to be stopped for this to be meaningful. Timers should be stopped
from reenabling themselves etc.)