all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Best way to get a cross-reference listing...
@ 2003-04-22 14:38 brian.auld
From: brian.auld @ 2003-04-22 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Howdy,

I've made the push the past week, and feel that I've gotten over the initial emacs hump, and now feel comfortable sticking with it. I was coming from an intermediate vi and vslick background.

A couple questions on things I haven't figured out how to do well.

(1) Cross-referencing
---------------------
I'm focussed on the linux kernel tree, mostly drivers. If I want to see all cross-references to a C symbol, so far I've found that M-x grep-find works the best. The problem is that I can't control what window the 'grep-find' results are displayed in. I usually have multiple windows open at one time, and want to display the result in a specific window. If I go to that window, and then enter the M-x grep-find command, the results are displayed in another window ... usually one that I don't want to be overwritten. I can always move buffer contents around later, but it's a pain.

Does anyone have any suggestions on (a) how to target a window with M-x grep-find, or an alternate way to cross-reference a code tree.

(2) etags
---------
I find if I try to etag the entire linux kernel tree using for example:

find . -name "*.[chCH]" | xargs etags -o kernel-tags

the tags never seem to be complete. What I end up doing is running something similar to the above for a bunch of sub-trees within the kernel that are of interest to me. Does anyone know why the above command doesn't seem to work for the entire kernel tree? Am I using the wrong command? Is there a different way to get a complete tags file?

Thanks,

-- Brian

[parent not found: <mailman.5071.1051023013.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* RE: Best way to get a cross-reference listing...
@ 2003-04-23 13:35 brian.auld
From: brian.auld @ 2003-04-23 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for your valuable feedback. I have another question below.

I downloaded and installed gid on my linux box. However, an 'M-x gid' results in a [no-match] beeeeep. Is there a step I'm missing??

Thanks again,

Brian

[parent not found: <mailman.5112.1051105181.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]