all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* minibuffer already active
@ 2008-05-23  9:44 coliban
From: coliban @ 2008-05-23  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Colleagues,

seems that i have the ancient emacs problem :

sometimes, out of the sudden, emacs is telling me that the "minibuffer
is already active" and no further action is possible. Of course i have
searched already the internet, and, of course i have found the answer
that i have to kill the minibuffer with "^]", but, of course, this
command is not working.

Does anyone knows the answer, i have to exit emacs which looks very
stupid to other colleagues, which are using Microsoft Word and so on.

regards

* Re: minibuffer already active
@ 2008-05-23  9:48 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2008-05-23  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"coliban@gmail.com" <coliban@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Colleagues,
>
> seems that i have the ancient emacs problem :
>
> sometimes, out of the sudden, emacs is telling me that the "minibuffer
> is already active" and no further action is possible. Of course i have
> searched already the internet, and, of course i have found the answer
> that i have to kill the minibuffer with "^]", but, of course, this
> command is not working.
>
> Does anyone knows the answer, i have to exit emacs which looks very
> stupid to other colleagues, which are using Microsoft Word and so on.

ESC ESC ESC

should pretty much always help.

* Re: minibuffer already active
@ 2008-05-23  9:55   ` coliban
From: coliban @ 2008-05-23  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 23 Mai, 11:48, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
> "coli...@gmail.com" <coli...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Hello Colleagues,
>
> > seems that i have the ancient emacs problem :
>
> > sometimes, out of the sudden, emacs is telling me that the "minibuffer
> > is already active" and no further action is possible. Of course i have
> > searched already the internet, and, of course i have found the answer
> > that i have to kill the minibuffer with "^]", but, of course, this
> > command is not working.
>
> > Does anyone knows the answer, i have to exit emacs which looks very
> > stupid to other colleagues, which are using Microsoft Word and so on.
>
> ESC ESC ESC
>
> should pretty much always help.
>
> --
> David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum

Thanks, David,

i had to type ESC 4 times, but it helped !

@ 2008-05-23 16:08   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-05-23 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

David Kastrup wrote:
> "coliban@gmail.com" <coliban@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello Colleagues,
>>
>> seems that i have the ancient emacs problem :
>>
>> sometimes, out of the sudden, emacs is telling me that the "minibuffer
>> is already active" and no further action is possible. Of course i have
>> searched already the internet, and, of course i have found the answer
>> that i have to kill the minibuffer with "^]", but, of course, this
>> command is not working.
>>
>> Does anyone knows the answer, i have to exit emacs which looks very
>> stupid to other colleagues, which are using Microsoft Word and so on.
>
> ESC ESC ESC
>
> should pretty much always help.

Though in some circumstances you have to use

   META ESC ESC

instead. (If you are using Viper for example.)

* Re: minibuffer already active
@ 2008-05-23 17:50 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-05-23 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "coliban@gmail.com" <coliban@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 02:44:45 -0700 (PDT)
>
> seems that i have the ancient emacs problem :
>
> sometimes, out of the sudden, emacs is telling me that the "minibuffer
> is already active" and no further action is possible.

Do you by chance exit an active minibuffer, like, for example, when
Emacs prompts for something in the minibuffer, and you click a mouse
in another buffer?  If so, don't do that; type C-g to abort the
command that caused the prompt, before you click where you want.

The same goes for when you suddenly see Emacs saying minibuffer is
already active: you can click your mouse in the minibuffer, and type
C-g, perhaps more than once, to abort the commands that prompted in
the minibuffer and which you left hanging around.