all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Building on the Hurd
@ 2008-05-09 17:01 Evans Winner
From: Evans Winner @ 2008-05-09 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Does anybody here know anything about building Emacs on the GNU/Hurd/
Mach platform?  I am trying to get a Debian Hurd system up and
running, which, I am aware, is experimental.  apt-get won't let me
install any flavor of Emacs because of dependency problems, so I tried
building from cvs and the compile failed with an error.  I tried
building the 22.1 release tarball and got the same error.  I posted a
note about it to emacs-pretest-bug, for whatever that might be worth.

Are there, possibly, libraries I need that I don't have, or maybe
options I need to pass to configure?  Configure runs without any
problems, so I'm not sure how to proceed.  I will post the last few
lines of make output in case anyone recongnizes something.

What is FFDLY, anyway?

Thanks for any leads.

=====================

gcc -c  -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DUSE_LUCID  -I. -I/home/thorne/src/
emacs-22.1/src  -g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign  sysdep.c
sysdep.c: In function 'wait_for_termination':
sysdep.c:527: warning: 'sigsetmask' is deprecated (declared at /usr/
include/signal.h:184)
sysdep.c:530: warning: 'sigsetmask' is deprecated (declared at /usr/
include/signal.h:184)
sysdep.c: In function 'child_setup_tty':
sysdep.c:647: error: 'FFDLY' undeclared (first use in this function)
sysdep.c:647: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
sysdep.c:647: error: for each function it appears in.)
sysdep.c: In function 'request_sigio':
sysdep.c:1019: warning: 'sigblock' is deprecated (declared at /usr/
include/signal.h:181)
sysdep.c:1019: warning: 'sigsetmask' is deprecated (declared at /usr/
include/signal.h:184)
sysdep.c: In function 'unrequest_sigio':
sysdep.c:1033: warning: 'sigblock' is deprecated (declared at /usr/
include/signal.h:181)
make[2]: *** [sysdep.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/thorne/src/emacs-22.1/src'
make[1]: *** [bootstrap-build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/thorne/src/emacs-22.1'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

* Re: Building on the Hurd
@ 2008-05-09 20:22 ` Phil Carmody
From: Phil Carmody @ 2008-05-09 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Evans Winner <ego111@gmail.com> writes:
> What is FFDLY, anyway?
>
> Thanks for any leads.

Plain old Debian GNU/Linux on x86:

/usr/include/asm/termbits.h:

struct termios {
        tcflag_t c_iflag;               /* input mode flags */
        tcflag_t c_oflag;               /* output mode flags */
        tcflag_t c_cflag;               /* control mode flags */
        tcflag_t c_lflag;               /* local mode flags */
        cc_t c_line;                    /* line discipline */
        cc_t c_cc[NCCS];                /* control characters */
};

struct termios2 {
        tcflag_t c_iflag;               /* input mode flags */
        tcflag_t c_oflag;               /* output mode flags */
        tcflag_t c_cflag;               /* control mode flags */
        tcflag_t c_lflag;               /* local mode flags */
        cc_t c_line;                    /* line discipline */
        cc_t c_cc[NCCS];                /* control characters */
        speed_t c_ispeed;               /* input speed */
        speed_t c_ospeed;               /* output speed */
};

//...

/* c_oflag bits */
//...
#define FFDLY       0100000

--
Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all.
-- Microsoft voice recognition live demonstration

* Re: Building on the Hurd
@ 2008-05-09 21:54   ` Evans Winner
From: Evans Winner @ 2008-05-09 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demunged@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demunged@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

         Evans Winner <ego111@gmail.com> writes:
         What is FFDLY, anyway?

    Plain old Debian GNU/Linux on x86:

    /usr/include/asm/termbits.h:
    [snip]
    #define FFDLY       0100000

Right.  Hmm.  Of course the problem is that on this system
grep -r FFDLY /usr/include/* results in nothing.  There is
in fact no asm/ subdirectory.  I wonder if there is some
package I can conveniently install that provides that.

In any case, I looked at the code and decided that there was
a good chance I could just delete the one symbol.
Compilation then proceeded past (yay!) to another error
(boo!) in (iirc) fileio.c line 6153 in which the symbol
`insdef' was undefined in a struct.  All my googling has
told me so far is that it seems to have once been a part of
the Emacs code, but it looks like it's no longer used,
except that compiling on this platform has caused the code
to reach this point that usually isn't reached.  At least,
that's my guess.  Does `insdef' have a standard meaning to C
coders?

I am beginning to think that it would be better to just
install Hurd from the ISOs (which means buying a replacement
for my broken IDE CD-ROM drive).

* Re: Building on the Hurd
@ 2008-05-09 22:42     ` Phil Carmody
From: Phil Carmody @ 2008-05-09 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Evans Winner <thorne@timbral.net> writes:
> Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demunged@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
> Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demunged@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
>          Evans Winner <ego111@gmail.com> writes:
>          What is FFDLY, anyway?
>
>     Plain old Debian GNU/Linux on x86:
>
>     /usr/include/asm/termbits.h:
>     [snip]
>     #define FFDLY       0100000
>
> Right.  Hmm.  Of course the problem is that on this system
> grep -r FFDLY /usr/include/* results in nothing.  There is
> in fact no asm/ subdirectory.  I wonder if there is some
> package I can conveniently install that provides that.

OSX, which is some dodgy bastardisation of BSD/mach I think:

geespaz:~ phil$ grep FFDLY /usr/include/*/*
/usr/include/sys/termios.h:#define      FFDLY           0x00004000      /* form feed delay */

SunOS:

bash$ grep FFDLY /usr/include/*/*
/usr/include/sys/termios.h:#define      FFDLY   0100000

Couldn't find it on plain FreeBSD though:

asdf ~ grep FFDLY /usr/include/*/*
asdf ~ grep FFDLY /usr/include/*
asdf ~ find /usr/include -name termios.h
/usr/include/sys/termios.h
/usr/include/termios.h

> I am beginning to think that it would be better to just
> install Hurd from the ISOs (which means buying a replacement
> for my broken IDE CD-ROM drive).

You should be able to pick one up for a few quid at a car
boot sale nowadays. I've got several spare myself.

Phil
--

@ 2008-05-10 19:28 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-05-10 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Evans Winner <ego111@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 10:01:22 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Does anybody here know anything about building Emacs on the GNU/Hurd/
> Mach platform?  I am trying to get a Debian Hurd system up and
> running, which, I am aware, is experimental.  apt-get won't let me
> install any flavor of Emacs because of dependency problems, so I tried
> building from cvs and the compile failed with an error.  I tried
> building the 22.1 release tarball and got the same error.  I posted a
> note about it to emacs-pretest-bug, for whatever that might be worth.
>
> Are there, possibly, libraries I need that I don't have, or maybe
> options I need to pass to configure?  Configure runs without any
> problems, so I'm not sure how to proceed.  I will post the last few
> lines of make output in case anyone recongnizes something.
>
> What is FFDLY, anyway?

I think you will be much better off asking such questions on
emacs-devel@gnu.org, not here.

* Re: Building on the Hurd
@ 2008-05-11 21:12     ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2008-05-11 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Evans Winner wrote:
<snip>
> Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demunged@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> I am beginning to think that it would be better to just
> install Hurd from the ISOs (which means buying a replacement
> for my broken IDE CD-ROM drive).
You can loop-mount the ISO from the harddrive by using
mount ~phil/hurd.iso /mnt/cdrom -o loop,ro

However this won't work a boot time.
You might be able to use the ISO from your existing Hurd install
to attempt to repair the installation.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.