Jason Rumney wrote: > The new code seems to be making a poor choice of font for Latin-1 > characters, it is choosing a symbol font which does not contain the > characters for me. This was triggering a bug that is also present in > the trunk which caused the crash that Juanma experienced. The choice > of font for other Latin characters is also not optimal, as the font > used for ASCII contains most of these characters, but in the > font-backend branch other fonts are chosen. Here is an example of how display in the font-backend branch differs from the trunk. I have highlighted some areas in the two images that look interesting for figuring out what might be going wrong: