all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* init file help
@ 2008-04-29 23:02 DeSoya
       [not found] ` <mailman.10965.1209542379.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: DeSoya @ 2008-04-29 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm trying to write bash scripts in emacs but Cygwin was having
problems interpreting the line endings. Someone suggested that I use
the command C-x RET f <unix> to fix the trouble. Sure enough it worked
like a charm. I tried to make this my default by editing my init file.
Unfortunately I'm on XP and there was no default init. I went ahead
and used C-x C-f ~/.emacs.d/init.el to create one. Then I typed (setq
default-buffer-file-coding-system 'unix), saved it and quit out of
emacs to test my creation. When I opened the program back up I got a
error message from my init file. Now it just reads "Invalid coding
system: Unix" in the buffer and I can't actually run any commands.
This means I can't edit the init.el file since I can't open anything.
Anyone have any insight?