all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* View image types
@ 2006-03-05 13:52 Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-03-05 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

My most recent Emacsen show this as the value of image-types:

	(png gif tiff jpeg xpm postscript xbm pbm)

 From a dired buffer I can view the pictures in PNG, GIF, TIFF, or
JPEG (not JPEG2000) format, but not in any of the other four formats.

Is that the right behaviour? Or is there anything I have to set to
view them?

--
Greetings

   Pete

In a world without walls and fences, who needs gates and windows?

* Re: View image types
@ 2006-03-05 19:57 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-03-05 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 14:52:24 +0100
>
> My most recent Emacsen show this as the value of image-types:
>
> 	(png gif tiff jpeg xpm postscript xbm pbm)

If that's the CVS Emacs, I think you are in the wrong forum.

>  From a dired buffer I can view the pictures in PNG, GIF, TIFF, or
> JPEG (not JPEG2000) format, but not in any of the other four formats.
>
> Is that the right behaviour? Or is there anything I have to set to
> view them?

You mean, you cannot display XPM?  If so, what icons do you see on the
tool-bar buttons?

Displaying XPM works for me.  Perhaps some shared libraries
disappeared from your PATH or something.

* Re: View image types
@ 2006-03-05 20:56   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-03-05 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.03.2006 um 20:57 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

>> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
>> Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 14:52:24 +0100
>>
>> My most recent Emacsen show this as the value of image-types:
>>
>> 	(png gif tiff jpeg xpm postscript xbm pbm)
>
> If that's the CVS Emacs, I think you are in the wrong forum.

Actually I found on Mac OS X 10.4.5 (Tiger) that the recent GIF or
unGIF libraries reached a state where configure recognised them as
usable (function EGifPutExtensionLast was found). But of course GNU
Emacs 21.3.50 from CVS in GTK+ look knows the same image-types
now ... (no 21.4 around)

>>  From a dired buffer I can view the pictures in PNG, GIF, TIFF, or
>> JPEG (not JPEG2000) format, but not in any of the other four formats.
>>
>> Is that the right behaviour? Or is there anything I have to set to
>> view them?
>
> You mean, you cannot display XPM?  If so, what icons do you see on the
> tool-bar buttons?

I see them, of course.

> Displaying XPM works for me.  Perhaps some shared libraries
> disappeared from your PATH or something.

When I press v on an XPM, XBM, or PS file I don't see the picture,
only the file's internal code. For PNG, GIF, TIFF, JPEG, or PBM
formats I see the picture and no code at all. This different
behaviour puzzles me ... (well, XPM, XBM, or PS are kind of ASCII
internally, and so easy to 'edit')

--
Greetings

   Pete

Never be led astray onto the path of virtue.

* Re: View image types
@ 2006-03-06  4:32     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-03-06  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Cc: Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 21:56:05 +0100
>
> When I press v on an XPM, XBM, or PS file I don't see the picture,
> only the file's internal code. For PNG, GIF, TIFF, JPEG, or PBM
> formats I see the picture and no code at all.

Did you turn on the auto-image-file-mode?  If not, what you see is
expected behavior.

* Re: View image types
@ 2006-03-06 11:17       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-03-06 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.03.2006 um 05:32 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

>> When I press v on an XPM, XBM, or PS file I don't see the picture,
>> only the file's internal code. For PNG, GIF, TIFF, JPEG, or PBM
>> formats I see the picture and no code at all.
>
> Did you turn on the auto-image-file-mode?  If not, what you see is
> expected behavior.

That's it! Thank you!

image-file-name-extensions is the variable that names all the file
types by file name extension to display them. PostScript does not
belong to this list, and when added I still see only the PS code.
I'll investigate this some other day ...

One item close to a bug exists: valid JPEG2000 files are not
displayed! Neither when I add jp2 to image-file-name-extensions nor
when I hard link a JP2 file to a JPG file, I only get:

	create-image: Cannot determine image type

It looks as if image-type-header-regexps, whose default value seems
to be

   '(("\\`/[\t\n\r ]*\\*.*XPM.\\*/" . xpm)
     ("\\`P[1-6]" . pbm)
     ("\\`GIF8" . gif)
     ("\\`\211PNG\r\n" . png)
     ("\\`[\t\n\r ]*#define" . xbm)
     ("\\`\\(MM\0\\*\\|II\\*\0\\)" . tiff)
     ("\\`[\t\n\r ]*%!PS" . postscript)
     ("\\`\xff\xd8" . (image-jpeg-p . jpeg)))

needs to be extended with a representation of this magic entry:

	0	string		\x00\x00\x00\x0C\x6A\x50\x20\x20\x0D\x0A\x87\x0A	JPEG 2000
image data

The JP2 buffer starts with

	^@^@^@^LjP  ^M^J\207^J

so an expression like

	("\\`\0\0\0\14jP  " . (image-jpeg-p . jpeg))

might already do the job ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

fools.

* Re: View image types
@ 2006-03-06 19:33         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-03-06 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Cc: Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 12:17:45 +0100
>
> One item close to a bug exists: valid JPEG2000 files are not
> displayed! Neither when I add jp2 to image-file-name-extensions nor
> when I hard link a JP2 file to a JPG file, I only get:
>
> 	create-image: Cannot determine image type

I don't know enough about image files support: can it be that libjpeg
we use doesn't yet support JPEG2000?

Anyway, this should be discussed on emacs-devel, not here.

* Re: View image types
@ 2006-03-06 22:59           ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-03-06 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.03.2006 um 20:33 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

> I don't know enough about image files support: can it be that libjpeg
> we use doesn't yet support JPEG2000?

Yes, this can be true. It's old. (Quicktime could be a source instead)

--
Greetings

   Pete

"What is this talk of 'release'?  Klingons do not make software
'releases'.  Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of
designers and quality assurance people in its wake."